PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sound deadening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2003, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Sound deadening

Has anyone looked into some sound proofing on the cruiser? Any ideas for under chasis etc.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 05:48 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Try Parts Express for sound deadening material:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....oup_ID=37&SO=2

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 24 Dec 2003, 07:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

liquid fat matt http://www.fatmat.com/ knock off of dynamatt
also heard good things about http://www.raamaudio.com/products.htm
and Ice Shield, available at most Home Depot's or Lowes is very similar. Also, HiTemp Mastic from McMaster Carr is supposed to be the EXACT same thing as dynamat at only $1.00 per SF. Part number is 9709T18.
Old 25 Dec 2003, 02:38 am
Senior Cruiser

guys, think about this, we want speed we want to lighten the car not add weight, I've heard ofpeople removing 50lbs just from sound deading material....
Old 25 Dec 2003, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

guys, think about this, we want speed we want to lighten the car not add weight, I've heard ofpeople removing 50lbs just from sound deading material....
And just add an aftermarket exhaust and intake, and you won't need sound deadening - you'll just hear the engine!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Dec 2003, 11:49 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I know I would like to have more speed but that doesn't mean everyone wishes for more speed. Some may want a nice quite ride, others may desire a kick a** sound system and there are those that want a 12 sec quarter (or faster ). Nothing wrong with mod'ing your PT the way you want. And nothing wrong with asking questions here concerning all mods. No offense Punch but this is not just a speed forum.

Mercedes Wiki
Old 25 Dec 2003, 01:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

I know I would like to have more speed but that doesn't mean everyone wishes for more speed. Some may want a nice quite ride, others may desire a kick a** sound system and there are those that want a 12 sec quarter (or faster ). Nothing wrong with mod'ing your PT the way you want. And nothing wrong with asking questions here concerning all mods. No offense Punch but this is not just a speed forum.

its not : )
Old 25 Dec 2003, 03:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Punch

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

its not : )
LOL

Mercedes Wiki
Old 25 Dec 2003, 08:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Speakin of Kick A$$ sound sytem, Today my project was ditch the factory CD unit and install my system. All in all it didnt go too bad, Spent an hour trying to get a hole drilled through the clutch linkage cover plate up under the dash . After the battery on my drill kept dying and finally squeezing the damn thing up under the dash i got it drilled. Problem was the biggest bit i had was 1/4" and i was running 4 gauge power cable which just happens to be a little larger than 1/4". So as i sat there cussing up a storm I pulled on the grommet covering the hood release cable and I get blinded by a huge hole of sunlight [xx(].

i had checked that first, but from the outside, it semed to be just a small hole so i moved on to the linkage cover. Ended up filling the hole i just drilled and running the cable through the same hole as the hood release followed by much more cussing.

Ran the cable inside the trim on the drivers side back to a 3 way distribution block, spliced the fuse for the power cable at the battery and attached all that.

everything was goin along fine, until....I break the first rule in installing electronics, disconnect the negative battery cable. I wasnt using a harness for the stereo so i clipped the factory one off and I was attaching my speaker wires to the head unit and grabbed the wrong one. The car went "dinnnnnnnng" and i saw the air bag light come on, so of course i duck just in case the airbag decides to blow. Luckily it didn't, but i did lose the power door locks, interior lights and te odometer was flashing "no fuse". So i check the fuse box all of them were fine. Good thing theres the internet, I found the answer to the problem on PTdiy.com ,blew a fuse in the distribution box under the hood.

So that ended todays project. I still need to do a few hours of work to get everything wired up, RCA cables to the amps, Amp power and ground, wire back to the speakers....and then..sell the factory unit so i have some cash to buy Kevins progress drop springs [8]
Old 25 Dec 2003, 08:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

JaxPT, sounds like a busy day, glad it all worked out OK. Now I know where to run my power lines when I get ready to install my stereo.

Mercedes Wiki