Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome/SS Pillars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2011, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Chrome/SS Pillars

Has anyone ordered any of the chrome/ss pillars and been happy with them? Were they easy to install and an accurate fit?

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I just ordered some. LOL

I just couldn't take looking at the discolored black ones on my PT any more. I had been searching for some to replace the ones on my car now for several days.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 07:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Chrome/SS Pillars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeCantSeeYou View Post
Has anyone ordered any of the chrome/ss pillars and been happy with them? Were they easy to install and an accurate fit?

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I just ordered some. LOL

I just couldn't take looking at the discolored black ones on my PT any more. I had been searching for some to replace the ones on my car now for several days.
to my knowledge i would think they fit good right on top of the stock ones. Honestly i wouldn't know, i use metallic vinyl on my pillars.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 01:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I hadn’t ordered chrome/ ss pillar neither I had replaced it with newer ones, this is the reason why I haven’t have any knowledge about it. I have observed many of my friends frequently discussing about the obstacle they had faced while replacing chrome ss pillar while they are beginners.You can replace it with newer one only if you have small knowledge about it otherwise it is not advisable for you to go for replacement on your own.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 06:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had several friends order them from Maggie at Race & Street and they all fit fine and not a single complaint. I would prefer her's in SS over the Autotechnica chrome one's. SS will last a lifetime. There are some out there that are SS and have a PT logo on them for the rear windows, but I'm not sure where.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I've had several friends order them from Maggie at Race & Street and they all fit fine and not a single complaint. I would prefer her's in SS over the Autotechnica chrome one's. SS will last a lifetime. There are some out there that are SS and have a PT logo on them for the rear windows, but I'm not sure where.
I got mine from Maggie - the Autotechnica Stainless Steel ones that Chromenut refers to - and I have no complaints. If you follow Chromenut's advice (to summarize: clean pillars thoroughly, then clean again. Make sure temperature is above 56 degrees Farenheit. Apply carefully, making sure you get them straight. Did I say clean area thoroughly?) I have had to reinstall a couple of mine this winter - the stainless steel pillars are flatter - not curved exactly like the stock door pillars - and they tend to pop loose either at the top or bottom. Solution is to get some of the red 3m tape - remove the pillar and clean, then reinstall. Not a problem, I probably didn't get the area cleaned well enough to start with!
Old 02 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
I got mine from Maggie - the Autotechnica Stainless Steel ones that Chromenut refers to - and I have no complaints. If you follow Chromenut's advice (to summarize: clean pillars thoroughly, then clean again. Make sure temperature is above 56 degrees Farenheit. Apply carefully, making sure you get them straight. Did I say clean area thoroughly?) I have had to reinstall a couple of mine this winter - the stainless steel pillars are flatter - not curved exactly like the stock door pillars - and they tend to pop loose either at the top or bottom. Solution is to get some of the red 3m tape - remove the pillar and clean, then reinstall. Not a problem, I probably didn't get the area cleaned well enough to start with!
You can also take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat them up pretty well, before installing, and just give them a subtle bend. Friend of mine did his at my house at a tool time and we just gave them an ever so slight curve over the handrail on my deck. Worked perfectly and no issues with them popping off.