Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tail lights question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default tail lights question

i had my tail lights completely tinted. now it wont pass inspection. so i have to take the tint off. i was thinking that i keep a circle out of the tint for the brake light out of the tail lights but what could i do for the turn signal?? i was thinking like some sick design that i could have revealed that wouldnt be tinted and when my turn signal was flashing that it would glow. i want my lights tinted but i was some sweat design to be glowing when the lights are on. let me know what you guys think! also if any one talks to candyman i need him to talk to me about the process of this. ill have to get the design vinyled so then i could peel it off when i was done tinting the lights.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: tail lights question

Don't forget that who ever is looking at the lights and saying the tint is illegal to pass inspection is also looking at the side of each light that has the red reflector. That has to be seen from the side at night when a light shines on it. Your tint might be hiding that red reflection.

Federal law.

The standard is very specific for tail/brake light lenses and front side marker light lenses. The standard requires red lenses (not red bulbs) for the tail/brake lights and red rear and side reflex reflectors and red side marker lights. A separate rear side marker light and reflex reflector may also be allowed for the rear lighting system to meet the standard.

P.S. don't look at my Rocket Taillights, they're illegal but Florida has no inspections.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Jul 2011 at 03:50 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

yea i was gonna only do like one or two coats of vht. i did 3 last time and its dark now. but i was looking at the light covers online for sale that have the pt letters like at the turn signal. how are the manufactured covers that come all tinted except for the turn signal and the brake light shown. can you see the reflector on that?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just because they are sold somewhere, doesn't make them legal as I just added to my post above. I keep the original taillights in a box in the attic just in case I ever need them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

so if the reflector is able to be seen then its legal?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Should be. If you can see the turn signal light, the brake and running light plus you have a reflector on the side, then yes, it should pass your inspection. A lot depends on the inspector.

Old 12 Jul 2011, 06:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

You mean these?

Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i had my tail lights completely tinted. now it wont pass inspection.
This is what happens when you tint the lights.

Your tail lights are how other motorists see you at night. They are how traffic behind you knows whether or not you are applying your brakes. Obscuring or covering them in any manner is inherently dangerous and IMO is one of the stupidest things you can do to your vehicle. If anything, an intelligent motorist would want their lights to be as bright as possible.

Sure, it looks awesome at shows... but I can't tell you how many cars I've nearly run into the back of b/c their rear lights were all blacked out and I couldn't tell if their brake lights were on or not.

If you get rear-ended and the person who hit you is smart enough to go to court and say that your tail lights were covered, tinted or otherwise obscured (along with providing photo documentation) expect to be found at fault and cited.

Per legal statutes, the red reflectors must be visible, regular tail lights must be visible from X number of feet away, and brake lights must be identifiably brighter than regular tail lights.

I know it sounds harsh... but do everyone on the road a favor. Go to a junk yard, pick up some stock tail lights and put them in. If you go to a show you can swap the tinted lights in for appearance purposes at that time.

Have a nice day.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

The only lights I have tinted are my revs, and they are tinted ever so lightly just to make them match the color of my tail lights.

Its best to just get aftermarket tails for like 100 bucks vs tinting then having to remove it.

If you tint them again feel free to look on my blog at my rev lights and see how lightly I did mine so the brightness isnt bothered at all

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:09 am
Cool Cruiser

ill have to look at that blod about your revs. i was thinking about just doing the same for my tail lights with the pt lettering shown in the picture above!