PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice on how to fix dents in rear quarter panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need advice on how to fix dents in rear quarter panels

Hello everyone,

Over the last couple of years, my baby had a couple of mishaps. Due to these, I have a dent on the right rear quarter panel, and one on the left rear quarter panel. A coworker looked at them, and said he could fix them for around $800 to $1,000 using body filler and such. I asked him about replacing the panels, and he said it would be around a 21 hour job for each panel (and that most insurance companies would just total the car instead of fixing a quarter panel).

I thought that I'd read somewhere, that the quarter panels were bolt-on for the PT (or at least that it wouldn't be too difficult to replace them).

So, my questions are How hard is it to replace the quarter panels? Should I go with his plan, or take the time/money to replace the panels? I'll post pics of the damage in the morning (as they probably won't show up very well at night).

I'm not looking at "resale" value per se, more how it will look in the end. In fact, the dents aren't noticeable for the most part, so it's not like the entire panel is caved in.

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need advice on how to fix dents in rear quarter panels

well im not a big body filler guy if its not done right it will shrink and fall out over time with the heat and cold and the bumps
Im thinking the quarters are not bolt on the fenders doors hatch and hood and bumpers but the the quarters
Depending on HOW BAD and your skill level with body tools most willl "Pull the dents out" and then sand and hammer till it is close then spread a THIN layer of bondo and work it down it is time consuming and if not done right it will leave ripples but if it is blocked and sanded over and over it can look better than new
so my answer is how good is the guy??? how much bondo is he gonna use??? and how deep are the dents??
Last replacing the quartes requires cutting the old out and welding the new in and then the process is the same block and sand
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well as far as how good he is, I'll have to check out some of the work he's done. I do know that he's in college for autobody repair. Which I would assume means that he's at least learning the proper way to do everything. I think he's planning on pulling the dents out as much as he can, then filling them in and repainting it. At least he's planning on feathering the paint, so it matches.

I know he did say that he'll need the car for a few days to do the job right. It's something that I'll have to put off for now, but am planning on doing in the future (within the next six months). I'll post pictures tomorrow of the dents.

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 02:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

I went out and took some pictures of the dents. They probably aren't the best, since it is night though. But here is an album that should hold them.

I'll also post them individually. Since they're on Google Plus, they may not show up though.

dent on the left side

Another shot of the dent on the left side

Third shot of the dent on the left side

Dent on the right side

another angle of the dent on the right side

Closeup of the dent on the right side

Third angle of the dent on the right side.

Hopefully these come out pretty good. I was also looking in the Detail forum, and noticed that Candyman posted a video about using a hair dryer and compressed air to pop out dents. I'm wondering (half hoping) that this would work on the right side--knowing there's not a chance on the left side.

Have a great day
Patrick.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:40 am
Cool Cruiser

You could call some junk yards in your area and see if they have a PT that has the panels you need. Of course, if they have them, you'll have to get them painted. Get the Haynes PT Repair Manual. It'll show you how to take the panels off and vice versa. Not only that, it's a good reference for any repair work you may want to do yourself.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Those panels are not bolted on.If you decide to replace instead of repair there will be cutting and welding involved and it will be MUCH more expensive than repairing the damage.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 25 Jul 2011 at 02:51 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 09:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Take out the tail lights (one screw at bottom) - unhook them and put them aside. I pushed out a similar dent in my son-in-law's PT using a piece of wood inserted thru the tail light hole.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles