Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Hatch Power Window Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2011, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rear Hatch Power Window Mod

I work for a Mechanical Engineer, and am currently in school to be one myself. With the slow economy we have resorted to invention ideas and patents. This had turned work time into experiment time (I really enjoy this). But anyways.....

My boss and I were outside having a smoke and he was admiring my cruiser ( I cant blame him). He asked me if the rear hatch window rolled down, seeing as how every other piece of glass (except windshield of course) rolls down or back (sunroof). I said no, but due to not having any A/C that would be great!! lol. He recommended that I try it, It was just a joking situation at first.

Until.... He approached my two days ago and said if I wanted to he would pay me to start designing and drawing up a system that would remove the rear wiper and convert the window so that it could roll up and down with the flip of a switch. I obviously struck his MOD BUG nerve with the playful conversation.

So, now I am knee deep in measurments and CAD design ideas.

Once I get a prototype together, Ill take photos. We're going to use a salvage PT hatch at first to try it out.

Have any of you heard of this being done to the pt already?? I know a lot of people put covers over the back window.

I know that some Toyota and Ford trucks come with the option of rear roll down power windows, but never seen it in a hatchback form.

Any advice? I know I have limited space to work with, but Im hoping it'll be worth it in the end.

WISH ME LUCK!!!!

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 09 Aug 2011, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Hatch Power Window Mod

I believe Ford had an SUV the the rear hatch/door opened up two different ways (either as a hatch or pulled open from one side with a door handle) and also had the rear window that rolled down.

You might want to do some research on that. I also found a Q&A about a 92 Honda Civic Hatchback where the owner was having problems because the rear window was rolling down slowly....

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-t...self-read.html

Also found: The 2011 Lexus GX's cousin-Toyota's 4Runner-has a simple roof-hinged hatch with a roll-down rear glass.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Aug 2011 at 03:08 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN. Can always count on you lol.

Yeah so far Ive found that 2002 fords came with the feature.

My fear is clearance, do you think there is enough clearance on the inside of the panel for a window track? I'm trying to get the window motor to sit inside the "pocket" that the old window wiper sat in.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

That is totally possible and if you could get it to work I could see it being a hit, as well as getting the hatch to open or open and close automatically then ur looking at a marketable hatch mod kit or selling the hatchs separately or both.

My biggest concern is the third brake light

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dill; 09 Aug 2011 at 03:11 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeGT View Post
Thanks CREWZIN. Can always count on you lol.

Yeah so far Ive found that 2002 fords came with the feature.

My fear is clearance, do you think there is enough clearance on the inside of the panel for a window track? I'm trying to get the window motor to sit inside the "pocket" that the old window wiper sat in.
That inside panel is pretty deep. I took out the rear wiper motor (for a handle) and the motor isn't any bigger than the window motor I replaced on my Vette so there should be enough room BUT it might not be deep enough for the whole window to go down. That's a big window. You might have to fabricate a bigger inside panel.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was thinking the same thing. But then again I may just want it to go downas far as the rear passenger windows drop. They have that 3 inches or so that stick up.... so to stick with the theme of the rear I was thinki9ng of just matching it.

But we'll see which one when it comes time for a mach-up.

I'm excited... who gets paid to freaking design and apply a new mod to their vehicle.

Boss is thinking if it works... he will put into production and sell. LMAO

Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

I didnt even think about the third brake light.... Where is it in the Verts??

Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeGT View Post
I didnt even think about the third brake light.... Where is it in the Verts??

Why worry about the Verts, they don't even have a back window.

It's the 3rd brake light on the 4 door you have to worry about.

Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Are the worries of the 3rd break light wiring or placement??

If placement is the worry, I was thinking of copying the location of the verts 3rd break light. Or maybe even incorporate it into the spoiler like so many other people have done.

Old 09 Aug 2011, 03:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Good luck!!! You are going to have fun with that project