Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2004, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Lights

Just got back from a trip up north and waiting for me was a couple of boxes. I had ordered Chrome XENON Amber turn signal bulbs for the front and Super White H.I.D. XENON Premium bulbs for the low beam headlights. The Chrome turn signal bulbs went in without a hitch and look good. I had a "senior moment" putting in the Super White Low Beam lights. I thought the inside bulbs were the low beam and took one out...WHAT A JOB that was!!! I can't believe Chrysler put them in an almost unreachable spot. After 20 minutes of struggling, I finally got one out....and the new bulb wouldn't fit !!! The high beam which I took out is 9005XS and the new Super White is 9006XS. I thought they sent me the wrong bulbs and checked my owners manual and finally turned on the lights themselves to find out I took the wrong bulb out Another 20 minutes putting the darn thing back in. The right low beams came out without any trouble at all. Their super white on the garage door...will have to wait till tonight to see how they look.
Old 05 Jan 2004, 07:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

But just think, the next time you do it, it will be a snap!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 05 Jan 2004, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"the next time" lets hope not!!
Old 05 Jan 2004, 07:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

well, lets be honest...the "next time" will probably be within 6 months. These things burn out soooooo fast. Not just these though, ANY super white bulb is like that for some reason. But i noticed you made mention that they were H.I.D. however they are not. A true HID system requires a ballast, which these do not have; and is also WAY more expensive.

But don't get me wrong, i like the hyperwhite bulbs. I'm just sick and tired of changing them every 6 months!
Old 05 Jan 2004, 08:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cop is right.A true HID, or Xenon, lamp is a capsule and a ballast.Some people will simply get a capsule with a 9005 or 9006 base on it to plug right in, but be warned.This practice is highly illegal and NHTSA is cracking down on those that sell them and use them.The problem is that the lamp housing is designed for an incandescent bulb, and the source of light is located in a different location than from a capsule when both are installed.The result is that the focal points are all screwed up, and althought you will make a lot more light, it will be thrown in all the wrong places, and usually, into oncoming traffic or tree-tops.Unfortunately, most bulb manufacturers that sell 'HID Xenon Superwhite' bulbs are trying to mimic this effect and in doing so, they not only mislead people, but they misinform people.This is usually done by Asian bulb makers, where most of these come from.The Korean bulbs are usually the ones that have a short life, and the higher the wattage of them, the shorter it is.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 05 Jan 2004, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Then get PIAAs, they don't have the ricey blue (unless you want them to) and they last at least a year.

AC
Old 05 Jan 2004, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK...just got back from a trip to Outback for dinner. I love the white light the headlights give out. On a totallly dark street they don't seem to be mis-aligned (no lighting up the tree tops) so hopefully I'm not blinding anyone. I'm looking at the package and it does say "simulated H.I.D. White Beam" so I guess your right, they aren't the true HID system, and there made overseas so I guess if I want to keep the white look, I'd better order a few more...$12.47+ 1/2 each isn't too bad every 6 months...YEP and a half...$24.95 for the pair [:I]. The actuall invoice says 12.475

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jan 2004, 10:23 am
Senior Cruiser

YEah, get some PIAAs? Who in their right mind would pay the price they want for stinking bulbs? I never thought I would see the day when people would pay $100 for a pair of bulbs.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 06 Jan 2004, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TripleJackInGA

Cop is right.A true HID, or Xenon, lamp is a capsule and a ballast.Some people will simply get a capsule with a 9005 or 9006 base on it to plug right in, but be warned.This practice is highly illegal and NHTSA is cracking down on those that sell them and use them.The problem is that the lamp housing is designed for an incandescent bulb, and the source of light is located in a different location than from a capsule when both are installed.The result is that the focal points are all screwed up, and althought you will make a lot more light, it will be thrown in all the wrong places, and usually, into oncoming traffic or tree-tops.Unfortunately, most bulb manufacturers that sell 'HID Xenon Superwhite' bulbs are trying to mimic this effect and in doing so, they not only mislead people, but they misinform people.This is usually done by Asian bulb makers, where most of these come from.The Korean bulbs are usually the ones that have a short life, and the higher the wattage of them, the shorter it is.

Very interesting info, TripleJack. I never really knew the details of the simulated HID's. Thanks for the wealth of information![^]

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 06 Jan 2004, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Arent the true HID systems illegal unless they were factory installed on a car?
I hate those things anyway, nothing like drivin toward someone and bein blinded by the bright white light. Now i think i know why they say when you die you see the bright white light, lol, it wasnt a light to heaven, he was comming around a corner,got blinded by a jacka$$ with HID superwhites and hit a tree[:0]