Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice on mud flap install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2011, 07:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Advice on mud flap install

Hey all, need some help here. I bought these long ago and just stumbled across them last weekend. Want to install them (rear flaps) but there are no instructions with them and no mounting hardware. I can't figure out what the little tab is for, nor can I even guess how they go on.

Any advice would be most welcome. I don't want to just screw them into the splash guards as they'd hold mud and stuff behind them. Not sure if they're supposed to go behind the existing wheel well splash guard or what. These are not the molded one's like on the front. They seem fairly simple and basic but before I do anything with them I'd like to know if anyone has installed them and if so do you have any photos?

Again, suggestions and advice are most welcome!

Old 17 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Advice on mud flap install

I believe that the tab is an allignment tab that slips under the plastic insiude the wheel well. (I don't actually remember mine having one)
It's been a few years since I mounted mine on soonercruiser.

But, what I did was use the existing screws/screw holes in the plastic inside the wheel well.
- I removed the screws.
- I placed some generic mounting tape over the screw holes; then punched thru into the screw hole with a nail.
- Then I placed the mud flap carefully where i wanted it; then pressed down hard on the flap. The tape stuck to the back of the flap, showing me where to drill the holes. (you can insure that the mounting tape is picked up by the mud flap by lightly lubing the wheel well surface, before placing it over the holes in the wheel well.)
Then, after drilling the holes, you simply use the same screws to mount the flap, and hold the wheel well liner in place.

I notice that in different years Chrysler uses differnt screws; and even used the punch tabs in my 2010 Couture. So, you may eve have to use a small washer under the screw head to be sure the mud flap doesn't work loose.

If the picture doesn't show up...
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MudFlaps.jpg

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Jan 2012, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Advice on mud flap install

I have installed variety of mudís and love doing this job, but in my career of 20 years I didnít come across any such kind of mudís so, I cant suggest you anything regarding the installation of mud which contains small tab as shown in the pic. I hope explanation give by Soonercruiser will help you in solving the problem, since in the picture shared by him mud attached to the car looks similar to yours.Please do reply back here once you are successful in installing it.
Old 02 Jan 2012, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't installed them yet. Still just looking at them, two years after buying them. Can't decide if I want to go for the molded one's or stick with these. Ho hum, one day....
Old 02 Jan 2012, 04:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Those are speced for the front wheel wells, the rears are molded.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue