Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
replacing outside mirrors with power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2011, 01:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile replacing outside mirrors with power

hi i have a base 2005 pt and have manual outside mirrors. the local auto recycler nearby has a pt with power mirrors with foldaway and heated glass. i know the heated glass works with the rear defroster but i can;t find a switch that controls the swingaway. there is the mirror switch on the dash on the left side and it has a left and right button and in the centre a circular button with the four arrows. does anyone know how the swingaway works? i just don't know what else to take off. any info would help. thanks jim
Old 30 Sep 2011, 04:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: replacing outside mirrors with power

Yes, I'd like to know if the original fold-a-way mirrors were motor operated or just folded in by hand , as are the heated power mirrors that I put on my 2004 base to replace the original manual mirrors.
You will need the mirrors, the dash switch, the dash panel that mounts the switch and the door inner trim panels that currently have the mirror adjustment handles passing through them.
You also need to confirm that your wiring harness has the connectors for the switch and (under the door panels) the connectors for the mirrors. If not, salvage the connectors also. In such case, you would need to add all of the necessary wiring.
In my car, the connectors for the switch and mirrors existed, but not the wiring for the heat function, nor the wiring to light up the switch up-down-left-right arrows. I added the missing wiring.
Here are the links to my previous reports re: the mirrors.

Power mirrors -Inside or exterior Mod?

Lit up my power mirror switch

(The dash switch push buttons select the left or right (or neutral OFF) for the up-left-right-down operation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhoysa View Post
hi i have a base 2005 pt and have manual outside mirrors. the local auto recycler nearby has a pt with power mirrors with foldaway and heated glass. i know the heated glass works with the rear defroster but i can;t find a switch that controls the swingaway. there is the mirror switch on the dash on the left side and it has a left and right button and in the centre a circular button with the four arrows. does anyone know how the swingaway works? i just don't know what else to take off. any info would help. thanks jim
Old 30 Sep 2011, 05:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

to the best of my knowledge, the mirrors only manually fold. and they fold outward, not inward. at least on both my 2001 and 2002.
Old 02 Oct 2011, 10:10 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for the info. i will go to the salvage yard this week to get all the peices. if it is electric swing away mirrors where would the switch be? all i did see was the small switch left of the steering column. i want to get everything in one trip if possible. thanks , jim