PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Slamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2011, 12:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Wink Slamming

[B][

I have decided I want to slam my car, does anyone know in the Tampa bay area where I can have that done, and what exactly does it involve? Do you know about how much it would be?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated

Thanks
Old 06 Oct 2011, 01:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: Slamming

Well the lowest springs you can get are GoldLine Super Slammers which would be 2.75"F and 3.25"R. They are what I have on mine. Past that it would be an air ride kit. Im not sure about prices I got mine off craigslist and already mounted on the front strut tower.

Like in this shot the first PT's 1,2 and 4 are on slammers. While the third one is stock.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 06 Oct 2011 at 01:53 am.
Old 06 Oct 2011, 09:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerdarkcross View Post
Well the lowest springs you can get are GoldLine Super Slammers which would be 2.75"F and 3.25"R. They are what I have on mine. Past that it would be an air ride kit. Im not sure about prices I got mine off craigslist and already mounted on the front strut tower.

Like in this shot the first PT's 1,2 and 4 are on slammers. While the third one is stock.
Thank you for the info.. I was told that I should get the air slam..Not sure what that is about.. But would love to find out
Old 06 Oct 2011, 12:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

I would imagine air slam would be similar to saying air ride. Candyman has Air ride on his and your looking drop a couple thousand on that.

Also even with Air ride the PT would require more alteration to completely sit on the ground.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 06 Oct 2011 at 01:46 pm.
Old 06 Oct 2011, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can slam you. Free of charge. Advice - bedroom with the lights off...good R&B music playing......lmao..you all know I had to go there!
Old 06 Oct 2011, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

roflmfao
Old 06 Oct 2011, 03:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Red face Re: Slamming

Hey their MOPAR_GIRL,

Okay, here is the low down.

Before we begin, I do have to warn you up front, I learned a long time ago, if you want the looks, they usually come with a price.

The two most common ways to drop your PT are going to be either via drop springs, or air ride.

Drop Springs:

Like Slayer mentioned Goldline Super Slammers was a decent Company who made both a mil;d set of drop springs, as well as the Super Slammers which were once of the lowest drop spring kits you could buy which offered up 2 3/4" up front, and 3 1/2" drop in back. Sadly they went under and quit making their springs some time ago so finding a set is big time difficult these days.

Their are several good Companies who offer mild drop kits like Eibach, and so forth which are all fine, but nothing offered for a big drop anymore.

At one time I also offered my own limited drop spring kit which I made which was a full 3" front by 5" drop in back which were later affectionately dubbed "Candy Drops" and gave the PT the most drop ever offered to date, but all of my sets were sold a long time ago as well. Here is an old Pic of one of my sets up against a stock set of springs.

Drop Spring Kits usually will run somewhere around $200.00 to $250.00, and most any local tire shop can put them on for a minimal cost.

The only problem you have to keep in mind is this, lets say you have a small spring in your hand. You push it in, and let it come back out, that is called spring travel, and is basically a good representation of the springs on your PT. Now take that same spring, push and hold it half way down. The lower the drop on your PT, the less room you have for that spring to travel, and the less travel you have, the bumpier and harsher the ride will be. With the springs I made for my Kit which gave that cool looking 3" drop in front, the springs were so compressed that they pretty much offered little to no downward movement and therefore had almost no suspension in front at all.

Minor drops are fine and work well if you drive your Cruiser a lot. Major drops are for more weekend Cruisers and not so much for full time vehicles that are full time drivers. If you still are really wanting that serious drop right to the tires look, then either myself, or several other Companies can turn you a custom set for around $500.00 - $600.00 anytime upon request.

If you do opt for Drop Springs, the Tire Shop may ask about a Camber Kit which helps provide adjustments needed for alignment which may likely be needed after dropping to get the wheels right so you don't go through tires.

Here is a kinda decent pic of the difference in height.

Last thing to remember on drop springs, should you find a set of Super Slammers, or opt to have a custom drop of around the same serious drop, you will be low enough without any adjustment to scrape your front end on some driveways, speed bumps, and so forth, and need to be very careful not to run into curbs, or bump stops at parking lots as you can damage your front bumper pretty easily due to its lower profile.

Next would be Air Ride:

Air Ride is the more expensive route. The big difference is you get an adjustable suspension as your ride is basically on four air bags that like Hydraulics, allows you to lift or lower your car at the flip of a switch. Here is an old Vid Slayer did of my ride back just after getting my first air ride set up to kinda give ya an idea.

And here are a couple of photos of what an air ride kit looks like.

Biggest thing with Air Ride is because it needs not only the air bags, but new struts to hold the front bags, a compressor to supply air, a tank to hold air, and several other key components, their is a lot to it, and therefore you could easily run up to $2800.00 - $3000.00 plus for a starter kit, and upwards of $800.00 - $1000.00 plus for the install.

That will get you pretty low, but from their it gets complicated to do much more drop. I had to step notch my rear floor under my sub box, make a whole new rear end from scratch, and rework my front strut towers, along with dropping two tire sizes to get mine to sit down where it was. Mine is not here or I would finally take a couple of shots. All of this is structural and dangerous to try unless you know body work, welding, and can properly build reinforcement big time to get the suspension safe to drive. Here is an example of another guy PTRyan who went and did much of the same type of fabrication work such as notching the rear floor, and moving the front strut towers to get more drop.

This type of fabrication work along with a larger air tank, better compressors, hard air lines verses soft, different air bags to maximize drop, smaller tires, and on and on, kinda are the make up of getting her slammed as close as possible. It does get expensive, and its not really practice for daily driving at least from my prospective, but in the end, it is seriously dropped and has the looks, but their is sacrifices to achieving that look big time.

So far I have around $4300.00 in my air ride set up minus labor, and am now putting another $3500.00 back in to it to get her to sit and look the way I want it. It is without doubt an expensive addiction, and one of those things that kinda sits on the threshold of if you want a cool custom daily driver, or custom show car that is driven occasionally her or there, but not everyday.

I wish it were more easier, or more glamorous, but that is about the just of it.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 06 Oct 2011, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

slamming is ok but isnt there a lot of maintance to keep it all nice and low???????
Old 06 Oct 2011, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
If you still are really wanting that serious drop right to the tires look, then either myself, or several other Companies can turn you a custom set for around $500.00 - $600.00 anytime upon request.
Wait Don, you have decided to still produce Candy Drop sets?

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic ^ but to add to the topic, I drove on that very set of blue Candy Drops on my daily driver. With the addition of Tokico Blues, the ride was definitely improved. It isn't impossible to adapt to the roads you drive everyday by memorizing where potholes to steep speed bumps.

Last edited by 808; 06 Oct 2011 at 03:55 pm.
Old 06 Oct 2011, 05:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Slamming

Heya their 808,

Not really me, but my buddy Art at the Lowrider Shop who is now in the process of tearing down my air ride and doing a complete one off custom build from scratch was asking me about the possibility of maybe trying to turn a couple of sets and see, but they wouldn't be near what yours were as their is no way big time to get another order of that custom mixed titanium to make another set of coils like the blue ones. Well not impossible but to do them in that exact material which at that time was donated by the racing team my boy Steve works for, the springs would wind up costing like $2500.00 to reproduce exactly like the ones you had out of the material yours was made from. That's why they were light, and much better handling, and also why we just used up the donated material from the race shop to produce 4 sets only and no more.

Art wants to maybe reproduce the look, or one can order the dimensions from any number of custom shops who could turn them to whatever spec you want, but the performance will never be duplicated.
So that's pretty much the 411 on it as for now.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing