Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Some MOD Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Some MOD Questions

I am all ready to start some mods BUT I canít find the vertical grille I want. So while I am rethinking my style I have some questions ???

Chrome Add-Onís
When you remove the chrome add-ons does it mess up the paint?
Are they hard to get on and keep on?
Chrome bumper covers, do they scratch and chip easy?

Back-Up Lights
The lights I want say they fit to 04, I have 05 but have seen members 05 pictures [poppy] with the lights,
So will they fit? Hard to install? [ Crewzin ,the TYCís you have. ]

Crewzin are your vent knobs black chrome?
Thanks
Old 15 Oct 2011, 04:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: Some MOD Questions

The year models for parts are 01-05 and 06-10

Chrome pieces are usually a doubled sided tape and shouldn't cause issues with the paint. They apply easy and can be taken off easy just make sure to clean the surface before application. Bumper covers from what I have seen are pretty durable.

The back up lights on 01-05 are easy just have two screws to undo.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 15 Oct 2011 at 04:52 am.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would say slayerdarkcross answered all your question very nicely except one. All the chrome that I have is bright chrome, no black chrome on my cruiser. Not sure where your looking but the photo can be deceiving.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks guys, I have never used any trims before. Or any MODs

Crewzin, I think I saw a picture were you had chrome trim on your front bumper. I have the GT bumper [ no indentation ] will it still work or will the edge make it look like a stick on. Picture 019.jpg
Old 15 Oct 2011, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Gin,

Personally I wouldn't put that chrome bumper trim on yours without the indent. It will make it stick out too far and might not stick as well without having a flat indent on it. It would be hard for the edges of the chrome to stick well. They are made to fit into the recess of the non-turbo bumper.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin, exactly kind of advice I'm looking for.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I'll repeat here what I said in this thread: Vertical Grille

Quote:
I was advised to stay away from the ABS plastic overlay grilles because of the winter conditions here in Missouri - Pennsylvania is about the same, I think. That's the reason that I started looking for billet grilles. Also, I was told that the AutoTechnica grille does not get along with car washes. The ends supposedly get tangled up with the brushes. I don't use a car waswh much, but do like to run the Cruiser through in the winter to get some of the gunk off the underside.
I'm also concerned about durability of the chrome overlays for the side spears, etc; but am hoping that with good care, they will last and look good for a long time.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would not consider myself a chrome expert, however, I would consider myself a chrome nut (snicker)... if taken care of, and applied properly, and it's not cheap Chinese or Taiwan crap, the it'll last you a good long time. Except for the two bumper guards on my sig photo, all my chrome has been on for about 4 years now. During the 4 years I learned some lessons about not applying them properly. This PT was my first experience with 3m automotive two-sided tape. You MUST follow their guidelines for applying them!!!
  • NEVER apply 3m tape to your vehicle if it is under 58 degrees f!
  • ALWAYS make sure you clean the area you are going to apply to, then clean it again, then clean it again with some pure grain alcohol, using a lint free cloth to remove any fuzz!
  • NEVER apply 3m tape to your vehicle if it is over 94 degrees f!
  • ALWAYS make sure you clean the area you are going to apply to, then clean it again, then clean it again with some pure grain alcohol, using a lint free cloth to remove any fuzz!
  • ALWAYS test fit your item three times before applying!
Personally, I lift every edge of the backing on the 3m tape and apply a strip of scotch tape to it, this way when I have it in place, I can carefully pull the scotch tape, which pulls the cover off the 3m, so I don't move it during fitting. Works great to get it exactly where you want it!

Oh, did I mention ALWAYS make sure you clean the area you are going to apply to, then clean it again, then clean it again with some pure grain alcohol, using a lint free cloth to remove any fuzz!

Also, if you want to remove it I suggest taking either a hair dryer or heat gun on low, heat up the piece, then take a piece of like 6# fishing line/monofilament and run it between the item and the area it's stuck to. Mine all come off like a warm knife through butter. I have one on the end of my car that's loose now and I'm getting ready to pull it and retape.

Never pull hard, it'll bend the item and eff up the chrome! Also, ALWAYS make sure you clean the area you are going to apply to, then clean it again, then clean it again with some pure grain alcohol, using a lint free cloth to remove any fuzz!
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, another thing, I notice that almost every chrome item I buy does not have enough 3m tape on it from the manuf. So I always add more. Get the 3m with red backing, do not use the others! Oh, and also ALWAYS make sure you clean the area you are going to apply to, then clean it again, then clean it again with some pure grain alcohol, using a lint free cloth to remove any fuzz!
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Last, soon as the rain stops here, I'll wash her up and take some photos of the chrome so you guys can see how aged chrome looks no a PT. boy I'd really like to switch it all out to that black chrome, that is insane looking!