PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PTeazer LED conversion - has anyone done it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2011, 09:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default PTeazer LED conversion - has anyone done it?

I got a pair of used PTeazer tail lights a while back and haven't put them on yet. I wanted to get the LED covnersion kit from Ray at PTeazer and after back and forth emails and a phone conversation, I ordered them. I was concerned about the wiring - didn't want to hardwire them into the PT circuit in case I want to remove them later.

I got them today, and don't think wiring will be a problem, if I can figure out which wire in the car goes to which wire on the lights.

But - it looks like I am going to have to modify the housing in order to bold the new LEDs in. Attached are a couple of pictures.

The new LED lights have two bolts that are supposed to be used to attach them to the housing, but the housing is molded to accept the old style tail lights. It looks like I will need to drill two holes in the housing and use fender washers on the bolts in order to secure the LEDs - or make a new back plate, drill it, and epoxy it onto the housing. Is that the way I need to go? (I've got an email in to Ray asking him how they do the conversion.)

Has anyone done the conversion from regular lights to the LEDs? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to go about it.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 04:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross
Default Re: PTeazer LED conversion - has anyone done it?

Hey looks like my old tail lights they may be made by Technostalgia. Man if I only remembered the colors now from the harness >.> Ironically enough my new tail lights mount the same way as your old ones did. However I had to convert to a 3 wire system.

I do know on the led tail light it is
yellow turn
black tail light
red brake
green ground

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 10 Nov 2011 at 05:06 am.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 10:07 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerdarkcross View Post
Hey looks like my old tail lights they may be made by Technostalgia. Man if I only remembered the colors now from the harness >.> Ironically enough my new tail lights mount the same way as your old ones did. However I had to convert to a 3 wire system.

I do know on the led tail light it is
yellow turn
black tail light
red brake
green ground
Yup - Technostalgia is the name on the documentation - I didn't know about them, and I got mine from PTeazer. I've got to take my old tail lights out so I can see the wiring needed. I'm still thinking I can (maybe) wire them into the circuit without hard wiring - by finding a male plug that will fit into the light receptacle. 3157 Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs - scroll down to see what I'm talking about.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 03:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Yeah I get my tail lights from the same place Ray gets his. The Technostalgia lights were pretty cool with the Rapidfire system. I had to replace mine after I got a ticket. However I couldn't get signed off because they were not DOT approved >.> So now I have the United Pacific lights which are rather generic led lights but they DOT/SAE approved. Biggest issue was the trailer harness which I need to go through and shorten the wiring at some point.>.>
Old 10 Nov 2011, 05:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerdarkcross View Post
Yeah I get my tail lights from the same place Ray gets his. The Technostalgia lights were pretty cool with the Rapidfire system. I had to replace mine after I got a ticket. However I couldn't get signed off because they were not DOT approved >.> So now I have the United Pacific lights which are rather generic led lights but they DOT/SAE approved. Biggest issue was the trailer harness which I need to go through and shorten the wiring at some point.>.>
According to Retro Tear Drop Tail Light: PTeazer, the LEDs are DOT approved.

I also checked with the garage that does most of my work, and they said that the LEDs would pass the MO safety inspection. I hope they're right!
Old 10 Nov 2011, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah they meet the standards just they dont have the DOT/SAE etched on the lens. I was pulled over for a light out and following that at inspection they told me they were not DOT/SAE on the lens. But I wouldn't worry about it honestly just mentioning why I had to replace mine.

Last edited by slayerdarkcross; 10 Nov 2011 at 06:19 pm.