Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with signal mirrors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2004, 08:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Need help with signal mirrors

These mirrors are the M3 style mirrors, that have an led in them for turn and parking signals. I need some help wirring them. I used the ptdiy.net and it gave me some help but not all. How do I get to the wires I need? Where is the kick panel?

Any help on doing this please.
Has anyone done these already?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

KingKole,

Don't know if this will help you or not. I just let my painter worry about all that when he took the mirrors off for painting. The only thing I can tell you is what I call the "kick panel" is the interior panel that is down by your left foot while in the drivers seat, the panel that has the hood release in it. Of course the opposite foot when your the front passenger.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 11:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin,
I belive thats where the kick panel is too, I just don't know how to get it off and to find the run the wires through the door to reach there. I guess the kit doesn't provide you with long enough wires. I thought it was hooking up in the door somewhere.

Thanks
Old 18 Jan 2004, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i think the kick panel pulls towards the back of the car and comes off that way
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:32 am
Senior Cruiser

CREWZIN, and Bobs Pt turbo,

Thanks for the help, I got them on. After useing some force I figured out how to take the panels off there and from the floor to access the wires need to hook up my signals. I deciede to leave the parking lights off due to a possible ticket.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:43 am
Senior Cruiser

How about changing out the signal lights to an amber.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

Thanks for the help, I got them on. After useing some force I figured out how to take the panels off there and from the floor to access the wires need to hook up my signals. I deciede to leave the parking lights off due to a possible ticket.
Tell us what you had to do to get the panels off, just in case someone else needs that info, pics would be great.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 20 Jan 2004, 03:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IRPT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

Tell us what you had to do to get the panels off, just in case someone else needs that info, pics would be great.

IRPT,
So I don't have pics because I don't have a digital camera and a 35mm comes out to crappy.

Kickpanels:Start near the front by the carpet, pulled out towards the petals or dashboard (passenger side), after that you just pull the lower side the same direction and eventually it will come out. Its held in with plastic little clips that slide into plastic grip hooks in the frame.

The top clip is in at an angle and the bottom two go in straight.

Door kick guards:
Start near the front of them and pri under it with a flathead screw driver and push up. It will start to loosen. Carefully move back towards the back of the door area. This panel piece is held in with plastic clips that slide into plastic grip hooks in the frame. There are four. After it is loosened up just lift straigth up and they come out.

Mirror wire guard:
Small piece of interior in the top right or left or the door by the mirror. Get you finger or a flathead under it to pop out the metal clips and remove it.

Door panel:
Lower window.
Unscrew 3 screws around the outside of the door, one in the door handle latch release, and 2 torx 30 screws in the handle (underneath). Start nearest the mirror and slide your finger down towards the bottom part of the door gently pulling to release the plastic clips in the door. After the door is fully released, you have to pull up on door to remove it from the window track area. Once off, you must unclip the door unlock/lock wire by pushing up on the clip while pulling out, then unhooking the door hatch release bar by uncliping the yellow or blue clip that holds it in and pulling back to remove it from the hole it sets in.

Mirror:
Unhook the power mirror wires from the power mirror wire box. Just unscrew the mirror nuts on the interior side to remove the mirror by sliding it out from the door.

Thats basically it. The M3 installation is a little more involved then that for the install.

This is basically what I had to do to access the wires in the kick panel and to remove the stock mirrors.

Kick panel access is not neccessary for mirror removal.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 04:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks KingKole02, very useful information.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 21 Jan 2004, 01:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you need the install for the wires for the mirror I can post how I did it too. Of course after these first steps listed here.