Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Light Install qusestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2011, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Light Install qusestion

I have a 05 with no power locks or anything fancy. I want to install fog lights. The fuse box inside the car isnt wired for the fog lights but the under the hood box is. Is there a installation kit for my car?

I was looking under the hood seeing where the wires are going under the hood (toward the headlights) and I noticed a green wire that was wrapped with all the other ones but goes right back to the box. I didnt want to unwrap all the electrical tape to find out where it was leading. Could that be the wire that is used to supply power to the fog lights?

Dillon
Old 07 Dec 2011, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Light Install qusestion

According to the Chilton wiring diagram, LG(Light Green) on 2002 and later models goes to the high beam headlights. The fog lights have a LB (Light Blue) wire to each fog.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 12:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Light Install question

I just installed mine - but having a problem. So frustrating.

She's an '03 - nothing special, seemed to be wired for the fogs: sockets pre-wired... Got the multi-function switch, lights and bulbs installed, was all excited to turn them on and.... nada. Underhood fuse OK. Tried to put fuse in the proper spot inside - it just wiggles. Doesn't seem to be anything in there that the fuse is making contact with.

What now? Anyone?
Old 10 Dec 2011, 02:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post

She's an '03 - nothing special, seemed to be wired for the fogs: sockets pre-wired... Got the multi-function switch, lights and bulbs installed, was all excited to turn them on and.... nada. Underhood fuse OK. Tried to put fuse in the proper spot inside - it just wiggles. Doesn't seem to be anything in there that the fuse is making contact with.

What now? Anyone?
Needs to be flashed at the Dealership from what I've read. Costs an arm.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You will need to remove the screws that hold the under-dash fuse panel in place and look at the back side. You may not have the fuse panel wiring.
This was true of my fuse panel for the heated exterior mirrors.
If the fuse connectors are not there, you will need a wiring schematic to add your own circuitry. This could involve salvage yard parts to add the OEM fuse panel functionality or a separate auto store fuse circuit.
When you installed the multi-function switch, were there any wires in the two appropriate sockets? One is pink and the other (actually two) is blue.

Look at the middle picture in the right column of the picture link below.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ht-project.jpg

Quote:

What now? Anyone?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
You will need to remove the screws that hold the under-dash fuse panel in place and look at the back side. You may not have the fuse panel wiring.
This was true of my fuse panel for the heated exterior mirrors.
If the fuse connectors are not there, you will need a wiring schematic to add your own circuitry. This could involve salvage yard parts to add the OEM fuse panel functionality or a separate auto store fuse circuit.
When you installed the multi-function switch, were there any wires in the two appropriate sockets? One is pink and the other (actually two) is blue.

I took a look at my fusebox and the connectors to the Multi-function. I don't think there are 2 light blue wires or a pink one. Nothing going to the right place in the fusebox.

I've not done much wiring. It seems crazy that the bulb sockets would be wired and hanging there but that the other end of those wires isn't connected to something... I would really like to get these working - and would like them to look and work like stock.

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The car's wiring harness consists of separate harnesses that are joined by connectors. Your car can have front lights' harness that includes the fog light wiring, while (at the same time) the dash harness is differently configured and not designed with all of the functionality of a top-end outfitted model. It is probably a cost saving to Chrysler to have only one front wiring harness to be used on all models, even when other sections of the wiring harnesses differ.

My car had fog light wiring functionality, but not heated mirror functionality.
It had the required front temp sensor connector and dash harness for an overhead console, but not the necessary roof wiring harness (specific to the light group option).

You will have to (or have someone else) do some wiring. The fog light wiring could be connected to the parking light wiring through a relay that is activated by a separate switch- perhaps mounted near the rear wiper switch.

Quote:
... It seems crazy that the bulb sockets would be wired and hanging there but that the other end of those wires isn't connected to something...
Old 30 Dec 2011, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The car's wiring harness consists of separate harnesses that are joined by connectors. Your car can have front lights' harness that includes the fog light wiring, while (at the same time) the dash harness is differently configured and not designed with all of the functionality of a top-end outfitted model. It is probably a cost saving to Chrysler to have only one front wiring harness to be used on all models, even when other sections of the wiring harnesses differ.

My car had fog light wiring functionality, but not heated mirror functionality.
It had the required front temp sensor connector and dash harness for an overhead console, but not the necessary roof wiring harness (specific to the light group option).

You will have to (or have someone else) do some wiring. The fog light wiring could be connected to the parking light wiring through a relay that is activated by a separate switch- perhaps mounted near the rear wiper switch.
What you are saying about the separate harnesses, etc. ... makes sense. I just wish it weren't true.

Thanks
Old 08 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Wiring schematic? Where would one obtain such a thing?
Old 09 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Needs to be flashed at the Dealership from what I've read. Costs an arm.
not sure on cost but sounds like the PCM needs a reflash as you said
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer