PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog Light Install qusestion

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Dec 2011, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6
Default Fog Light Install qusestion

I have a 05 with no power locks or anything fancy. I want to install fog lights. The fuse box inside the car isnt wired for the fog lights but the under the hood box is. Is there a installation kit for my car?

I was looking under the hood seeing where the wires are going under the hood (toward the headlights) and I noticed a green wire that was wrapped with all the other ones but goes right back to the box. I didnt want to unwrap all the electrical tape to find out where it was leading. Could that be the wire that is used to supply power to the fog lights?

Dillon
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Dec 2011, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: Fog Light Install qusestion

According to the Chilton wiring diagram, LG(Light Green) on 2002 and later models goes to the high beam headlights. The fog lights have a LB (Light Blue) wire to each fog.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2011, 12:38 am
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

I just installed mine - but having a problem. So frustrating.

She's an '03 - nothing special, seemed to be wired for the fogs: sockets pre-wired... Got the multi-function switch, lights and bulbs installed, was all excited to turn them on and.... nada. Underhood fuse OK. Tried to put fuse in the proper spot inside - it just wiggles. Doesn't seem to be anything in there that the fuse is making contact with.

What now? Anyone?
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2011, 02:14 am
808's Avatar
808 808 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hanapepe, Hawai`i
Posts: 1,259
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
I just installed mine - but having a problem. So frustrating.

She's an '03 - nothing special, seemed to be wired for the fogs: sockets pre-wired... Got the multi-function switch, lights and bulbs installed, was all excited to turn them on and.... nada. Underhood fuse OK. Tried to put fuse in the proper spot inside - it just wiggles. Doesn't seem to be anything in there that the fuse is making contact with.

What now? Anyone?
Needs to be flashed at the Dealership from what I've read. Costs an arm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,101
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

You will need to remove the screws that hold the under-dash fuse panel in place and look at the back side. You may not have the fuse panel wiring.
This was true of my fuse panel for the heated exterior mirrors.
If the fuse connectors are not there, you will need a wiring schematic to add your own circuitry. This could involve salvage yard parts to add the OEM fuse panel functionality or a separate auto store fuse circuit.
When you installed the multi-function switch, were there any wires in the two appropriate sockets? One is pink and the other (actually two) is blue.

Look at the middle picture in the right column of the picture link below.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ht-project.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
I just installed mine - but having a problem. So frustrating.

She's an '03 - nothing special, seemed to be wired for the fogs: sockets pre-wired... Got the multi-function switch, lights and bulbs installed, was all excited to turn them on and.... nada. Underhood fuse OK. Tried to put fuse in the proper spot inside - it just wiggles. Doesn't seem to be anything in there that the fuse is making contact with.

What now? Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
You will need to remove the screws that hold the under-dash fuse panel in place and look at the back side. You may not have the fuse panel wiring.
This was true of my fuse panel for the heated exterior mirrors.
If the fuse connectors are not there, you will need a wiring schematic to add your own circuitry. This could involve salvage yard parts to add the OEM fuse panel functionality or a separate auto store fuse circuit.
When you installed the multi-function switch, were there any wires in the two appropriate sockets? One is pink and the other (actually two) is blue.

Look at the middle picture in the right column of the picture link below.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ht-project.jpg
I took a look at my fusebox and the connectors to the Multi-function. I don't think there are 2 light blue wires or a pink one. Nothing going to the right place in the fusebox.

I've not done much wiring. It seems crazy that the bulb sockets would be wired and hanging there but that the other end of those wires isn't connected to something... I would really like to get these working - and would like them to look and work like stock.

Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance.
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,101
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

The car's wiring harness consists of separate harnesses that are joined by connectors. Your car can have front lights' harness that includes the fog light wiring, while (at the same time) the dash harness is differently configured and not designed with all of the functionality of a top-end outfitted model. It is probably a cost saving to Chrysler to have only one front wiring harness to be used on all models, even when other sections of the wiring harnesses differ.

My car had fog light wiring functionality, but not heated mirror functionality.
It had the required front temp sensor connector and dash harness for an overhead console, but not the necessary roof wiring harness (specific to the light group option).

You will have to (or have someone else) do some wiring. The fog light wiring could be connected to the parking light wiring through a relay that is activated by a separate switch- perhaps mounted near the rear wiper switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikestobike View Post
... It seems crazy that the bulb sockets would be wired and hanging there but that the other end of those wires isn't connected to something...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Dec 2011, 09:48 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The car's wiring harness consists of separate harnesses that are joined by connectors. Your car can have front lights' harness that includes the fog light wiring, while (at the same time) the dash harness is differently configured and not designed with all of the functionality of a top-end outfitted model. It is probably a cost saving to Chrysler to have only one front wiring harness to be used on all models, even when other sections of the wiring harnesses differ.

My car had fog light wiring functionality, but not heated mirror functionality.
It had the required front temp sensor connector and dash harness for an overhead console, but not the necessary roof wiring harness (specific to the light group option).

You will have to (or have someone else) do some wiring. The fog light wiring could be connected to the parking light wiring through a relay that is activated by a separate switch- perhaps mounted near the rear wiper switch.
What you are saying about the separate harnesses, etc. ... makes sense. I just wish it weren't true.

Thanks
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
If the fuse connectors are not there, you will need a wiring schematic to add your own circuitry. This could involve salvage yard parts to add the OEM fuse panel functionality or a separate auto store fuse circuit.
When you installed the multi-function switch, were there any wires in the two appropriate sockets? One is pink and the other (actually two) is blue.

Look at the middle picture in the right column of the picture link below.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ht-project.jpg
Wiring schematic? Where would one obtain such a thing?
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just south of the Mason/Dixon line
Posts: 1,713
Default Re: Fog Light Install question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Needs to be flashed at the Dealership from what I've read. Costs an arm.
not sure on cost but sounds like the PCM needs a reflash as you said
__________________
.....................................
'03 GT base w/175k and a 2 speed autostick (read: trans is shot) and powered by a hybrid MOPAR S3 with DSP untuned
1st Forward Motion E1 powered PTGT w/Psi-Fi Power pack fuel tuner back in '07
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Showing ABS light, Brake light, Traction light on Dash fox50h Tech & Performance Forum 19 18 Feb 2014 11:40 pm
Plan to install underhood light sanatanadharma General PT Cruiser Discussions 8 29 Aug 2011 11:00 am
Check engine light: Amber Light: power loss dbleclk Turbo Performance 2 06 Jul 2011 06:12 am
City Light mod install pics RallyDRock Exterior Accessories Forum 2 04 Jan 2005 12:47 pm
Gauge light install question PT-Dave Turbo Performance 7 20 Sep 2003 08:17 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors