PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with Install of Custom Made Hood Ornament...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool Help with Install of Custom Made Hood Ornament...

Hello, my Good Friend Ricky, SURPRISED me last Saturday with an early Christmas Gift, a Custom Native American Skull, which he Made himself, he Hand Carves these and Colors them if you like and EVERYTHING, in fact, he had during the Summer, used my Factory Door Lock Knobs as a Mold and Made me Skull Door Locks, then, for my 29th Birthday on October 30th, he Made me a Skull Suicide Knob for my Steering Wheel, DECORATION ONLY, but this Hood Ornament was a TOTAL SURPRISE, I had just Arrived Home from being out with my Aunt and Uncle, went up to my Room, found the Package from him on my Couch and WOW, was I ever SURPRISED, he even Colored it Red to Match my Cruiser, but there's a slight Problem...

I have one of those Chrome Hood Moldings from Maggie at Race and Street, was something my Good Friend John Bought for me back in 2010, I get LOTS of Compliments on it and LOVE my Hood Molding to say the least; however, it makes Installing my Skull Hood Ornament a Problem you know, as I can't and don't want to Drill any Holes in my Hood Molding or Hood to say the least, so how should I go about Installing my Skull????? I already Sanded it to the Contour of the Hood Molding, like Ricky recommended and thought that I could use 3M Tape to Adhere it to the Hood Molding, because, I mean, think about it, almost ALL the Aftermarket Chrome Trim on our Cars is held on by 3M Tape and it holds all of that just fine, even the heavy Stainless Parts, so I thought it would work well for my Skull, but now I'm not so sure, because, well, you know, I don't need it FLYING OFF or anything while Driving, lol, especially if my Top is Down or there is a COP behind me, lol, so I dunno????? I also thought about J-B WELD, have a New Pack here, but Ricky said he's not so sure it will Stick to my Chrome Hood Molding well, he said as far as my Skull goes, I can Drill Holes in the Bottom of it, which would give the J-B WELD something to hold on to, but it's the Hood Molding of mine he's not so sure about and I can't think of anything else myself, so do any of you have any Ideas, because I really LOVE my Native American Skull and want to Install it ASAP!!!!!!!!

Oh and here are some Photos of it Stuck to my Hood Molding with 3M Tape, just to get an idea of what it will look like and all-

THANKS in Advance!!!!!!!!

James C. Gockel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1660.jpg (89.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1650.jpg (96.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1654.jpg (85.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 14 Dec 2011, 09:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Help with Install of Custom Made Hood Ornament...

i was gonna suggest 3m tape but that's entirely up to you. the drilled holes on the bottom of the skull is a really good idea but first you gotta make sure it sticks for the chrome.
If you don't want to drill holes in the hood i would say maybe put the skull on your dash instead, you know what i mean?
Old 15 Dec 2011, 02:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I don't know anything about hood ornaments and it looks great where you have it , my 2 cents. Could you bolt it to a length of flat iron and bolt it under the hood that it sits under the wings in the V. That flat medal is really bendable with enough hammering. Or maybe you could drill the hole in the chrome piece.
Old 16 Dec 2011, 11:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

Drill holes thru the chrome piece. It looks great where it is and then with it drilled and screwed it isn't going anywhere. If it was taped and someone liked it , just saying.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Panel View Post
Drill holes thru the chrome piece. It looks great where it is and then with it drilled and screwed it isn't going anywhere. If it was taped and someone liked it , just saying.
i had that idea too, but the only down side is removing all the 3M tape and putting new tape on the chrome piece, but it is a good idea.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, first off your friend has a real talent! Skulls aren't even my thing but none the less a great piece. I have the 1931 flying godess on mine and like you I knew it would come off and yours will too! You have to drill and bolt it down(my oppinon). The things you need to consider are what is this carved out of?(will it hold up well as a hood ornament?) I believe you are very close to hood latch bracket/housing which you need to make sure you don't drill into that. I would also recomend that use threaded posts one side would be threaded something like a wood screw the otherside would be threaded like a bolt or machine screw. The good news is that with it having been sanded to fit on top of your chrome you should only need to drill one hole. Take great care in drilling your pilot hole for the post which you would screw into the skull beyond the obvious you don't want to go all the way through it but it must be square to the base in otherwords if you drill the whole on the slightest angle it will most likely make your skull sit cockeyed (crooked). Good luck!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What if you made a base for the scull? A flat base a little narrower than your molding in width and extending past the front of the skull. 3/4 of inch if positioning allows & extending out the back an inch or so. 1/8 " aluminium or a 1/16" stainless or even 16 gauge steel painted. Contour to shape of molding & attach to skull with counter sunk screws. This flat surface well give you a larger foot print for 3m tape. this will make it more stable. also cut a 1/2" hole in the tape near the front & remove the circle. Peal tape backing and put a drop of silicone in the cut out & install. Let cure fully before driving. The silicone will give you more holding power on the front. Use clear not rtv.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow! What a cool idea! My ancestors long ago were said to be native Americans by way of the Pueblo Indian Tribe of the Pacific Northwest. My great great grandfather's Indian name was "The Red Flame" because he had red hair and rode a great red stallion. They said he looked like a flame running across the vast horizons of what we now call Oregon.

Anyways enough about my heritage! My recommendation would be to use a small amount of screws and screw it straight to the hood for safe keeping! Here at JMU people would always steal hood ornaments so I would hate that to happen to another cruiser fan!

-Ben
Old 29 Jan 2012, 03:13 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to mndobondo

Wow how ever you mount it thats one cool looking hood congrats..
2004 Touring Electric Blue woodie..2.4L SFI DOHC billet two piece grill chrome mirror covers buillet surfboard rearview mirror front alpine speakers rear roxford fosgate punch full range and a mopar subwoofer
Fun to drive room for five!!
Old 29 Jan 2012, 04:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sorry, but it really looks out of place on the hood. Kind of like a child left their toy there. I think it would look more cool mounted on the dash.