Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pimp my cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default pimp my cruiser

I always wanted to fix up my cruiser but never had the time or the $$$ I'm new to the site and I see what you guys are doing and it makes me want to get my hand dirty. I have a stock 2002 PT Cruiser Limited. I wanted to paint it a different color maybe black or a silver color, get some new rims and tire, get a new grille, put in a rear roll pan and possible putting in some new head and tail lights. What do you think I'm open to any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0095.jpg (96.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0098.jpg (96.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0097.jpg (95.8 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Simba522; 20 Dec 2011 at 06:51 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pimp my cruiser

Whatever you do, DON'T get the same painter that did your rear bumper to repaint your PT.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My opinion, you have one very nice blank canvas there to start on. In the long run, it's not going to be cheap. We do have some experts here in the painting category, if you're anywhere near them maybe they can swing you a deal. Me, personally, if that were my PT I'd do a two-tone paint job, either black and blue, or black and silver (my fav). I'd also de-badge it and have any chrome either removed or painted to match (for instance, the door handles). There are some really fantastic grills out there for the PT, but t'were that baby mine, I'd go with a PTeazer front end with matching rear roll pan. I personally find Randy's work to be fantastic on the PT (Randy is the owner/originator of PTeazer).

First step, imo, is I would polish those headlights, bring them back to life. Then I'd consider the inexpensive plugin Xenon bulbs to replace both low and hi's. There is a couple of threads here and several members have tried the bulbs I suggested and all have responded positively to them. They are a third the price of these silly Sylvania bulbs they sell here in the US, and even though they are from China they do produce fantastic light. I buy them two sets at a time. So far I've gotten 23 months out of my first set. Not bad for $16 for both!! Just a suggestion....

There are many, many things you can do prior to paint. For instance, I'd suggest sound deadening inside the PT. You can get 100 linear feet for around $100 of eDead, cost you about $300 for Dynomat. Then there is a brand out there, it was the guy who created Dynomat but under another name. He sold off Dynomat and now is making his deading materials again, only better. I'll have to look that one up, but supposedly his is the best on the market and cheaper than dynomat. Myself, I went with eDead, cause it's less expensive.

On your car, you'd have to remove the entire interior to deaden it. To me, that is one of the best ways to learn your car, literally, from the inside out. Once you pull the seats, center console, carpeting and padding, you're in a whole new environment and it gives you a good feel for the 'bones' of your car.

After sound deadening, I would consider upgrading your stereo. Personally, and I know this discussion has gone round and round here - I'd go for a Kenwood eXcelon head unit. I've been through all the suggestions out there and still can not find a single head unit that can even hold a candle against the quality of the audio coming out of the eXcelons. Even their cheapest head unit is still a fantastic unit. Me, I have one that has a single disc player, but I don't use many CD's, as I have my iPod plugged into it. It's got the removable face, alarm sram built in, 5v sub-amp outputs, direct iPod interface and controller, excellent sub controls, etc. It only cost me $169!!! Add to this, go for good, lowcost sub, box and amp. Me, I went all JL Audio. My opinion, the 10" sub I have in it's tiny box, provides the best audio I've heard in a car in quite some time, and all on an excellent budget.

While you're considering sound deadening and head/sub, I'd suggest looking to the engine compartment. First, get you a cabin air filter. The box/frame for it is already installed in all PT's, so you just need the filter. Mine seems to last right at a year each, and they aren't that expensive. There's an entire thread dedicated to this here on the forums. Next, go for really good, low-loss spark plug wires and good spark plugs. The factory stuff is total crap, so I'd ditch that soon as possible.

After plugs and wires, look to the section about modifying your stock air box. On a non-turbo, you can mod your airbox and go with a nice drop-in K&N type filter. To me they are worth the money, mine's been in there for four years now, and still works great. If you are running non-turbo, then you might want to consider a cold air intake. Doesn't really add much to the horsepower, but sure sounds and looks nice.

After that, well, the ideas go on and on. Good luck to you, and my best wishes!!!
Old 20 Dec 2011, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I personally find Randy's work to be fantastic on the PT (Randy is the owner/originator of PTeazer).
*Ray

The only correction to your post.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a sign of me becoming an olde farte!!!!! OMG my memory is going!
Old 20 Dec 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

lol thats how it basically came when I got it. It started in one spot then bubbled and flaked off more and more.
Thanks Chromenut and I saw the grilles over at PTeazer they look really good. I think the first thing that I'll work on is the headlights. You've given me some great ideas I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get everything going.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba522 View Post
lol thats how it basically came when I got it. It started in one spot then bubbled and flaked off more and more.
You talking about my memory going?? I have been called 'flakey' by quite a few people....

L M A O !!!
Old 21 Dec 2011, 11:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: pimp my cruiser

Hey their Simba522,

First off, welcome to the forum.

Don't ya just love it when a painter doesn't sand down and properly prep the MID plastic bumpers prior to paint?

A lot depends on how far you want to go, and how crazy you want to get with it.

First thing I always suggest to a customer before I begin customizing is to sit down with a paper and pen and write out thoughts and ideas on what you would like and try to dial in a good solid plan of attack.

Usually I will start with body mods. Things like, do you want to shave door handles, add a body kit, any other body mods and so forth. Pretty much anything that would require modifications or paint later on should be addressed up front. Better to get any changes done early rather than later.

Next would be suspension and rolling stock. Things like are you going to be lowering your ride, springs or air ride, what wheels and how big do you want to go? If lowering this is important as if doing custom suspension you usually want to work around the specific dimensions of the wheels your working with for proper clearance, fit, and finish.

Then would come paint. At this stage I always recommend having a general idea of what you want to direct a general direction, but maybe stay a bit loose with design and ask your painter to maybe offer some constructive suggestions on design and color choices. If you walk in and want flames that look like a watermelon, that is what your going to get, but if you ask questions and work with your painter, you could more often than not come up with something that really looks cool and turns heads. Often times they can offer suggestions and tweaks to a design to flow nicely with the body lines, and in many cases be able to offer suggestions to utilize what your base color you already have on your car and work around making things look cool off of that. Their is soooo much that can be done with paint its not even funny.

Next while your ride is in the booth with me for a bit of love, it would be time to work out audio/video. This is done prior to interior so you can make custom panels if need be and make it look nice and clean as opposed to going back later and trying to modify things like door panels, kick panels, modding the dash and so forth.

And then would come interior, 2 tone leather, door inserts to match, and on and on.

Then final assembly and fit and finish, and you have a clean custom ride done right that you could be proud of.

Here are a few things I have built or worked on.

And of course my ride.

Anywayz, if you were near me, I could see if I could work out a plan from simple to extreme or anywhere in between and do your ride up here.

If not, I would be more than happy to try to help you figure out a plan if need be. Customizing is in my blood, its just what I love to do.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 21 Dec 2011 at 11:50 am.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks candyman I saw the work you did on slayer's pt that thing is amazing
Old 21 Dec 2011, 03:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

pimp what??!

2002 Custom Dream Cruiser Series 5 Rollin 22s/20s