Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
window tinting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default window tinting

for Christmas i am getting my windows tinted now that i have the money i plan on 5% on the back doors and the back hatch but 35% on the front doors (state law) my question is how are you supposed to do the back hatch because of the heat strips i don't want them messing it up and me have to pay for it also is they a brand name tint that is better than the others
Old 28 Dec 2011, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: window tinting

They just lay the tint right on top of the heated wires. They still work after that. Pick a reputable place, get a guarantee, maybe see some of their work on other cars before you do yours. If you really want it a little darker inside, you can get a 4 inch strip on the top of the front windshield. That's allowed by law.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you were anywhere near me I'd send you to the guy who did mine. They look so good they look factory. I did the same levels you're doing, and they turned out magnificent. He was extremely careful on my rear window and I've not had any issues with the defroster on the rear window. Matter of fact, until reading this I've gotten so used to my windows that I'd forgotten I'd had them tinted!

Here's the look at the level's you're speaking of:
Old 28 Dec 2011, 08:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

i was looking at doing the same. But when looking for a person (or a shop for that matter), dont go cheap. Get legit tint. None of that "purple stuff". Look at what youre getting before you pay the man to do it.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys i have one last question does temp matter cause i have read some stuff online and it says for best conditions tint in a 40-70 degree weather forecast. right now it is in the high 30's and low 50's do you think it is ok to go ahead and get the tint done because im excited and dont wanna wait
Old 29 Dec 2011, 12:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The tint he put on my car was industrial window tint, like is used on skyscrapers. He said it had to be 55 degrees or warmer to insure a good fit, however it was in the low 40's when he did mine. Took it inside his garage and washed the car with warm water, had me run the heater for a bit to get the windows warm on the inside. When he got done it was perfect temp inside the car for tinting. Took him less than an hour, cost me just shy of $200 for the entire car (two fronts, little backs, rear window). He said that's what he charges for a full size PT, and because the vert is a pain to get the windows there was no discount for smaller windows. I could not disagree.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: window tinting

Hey Chrome,

Have you ever gotten stopped by the police for the front windows being
tinted? My GT came with the back glass tinted but not the front....I would like
to tint those as well, but they tell me that here in California it will get me a ticket? have you had any trouble with yours? PTpreacher
Old 29 Dec 2011, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

im not chrome
But here in Missouri they will stop you and check it with some kind of a meter and if you do not have a DR;s slip saying you need them you will get a Missiouri State troopers slip saying you need to remove them and pay $95
Old 29 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a link to the legal window tint percentages in the U.S. They do this for officers safety so they can see the driver and passenger as they approach the car when stopped. They are serious about enforcement!

Auto Window Tint Laws | TintCenter Window Tinting

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CREZWIN this in one area where i am 100% in agrement I think how scarry it has to be to walk up to a car with dark windows not knowing if the dude is stoned or armed or well just crazy not a job id want everyday