PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome Beltline Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2012, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Chrome Beltline Kit

Hello everyone,

This question is about the PT Woody Chrome Beltline Kit.

I just received the kit last Thursday (after ordering it on Nov. 27th) and upon dry-fitting, it looks like all the pieces are going to be 1/2" too short. If I split the difference there will be a 1/4" gap on each side of the chrome pieces on each panel.
Another thing that seems odd to me is that the hood portion is 1/2" too long on the passenger side and 1/2" too short on the driver side. It is almost like the center cut out for the Chrysler emblem was cut off-center.

(I did have the PT Woody grill only beltline kit installed and it fit like a glove, the ends lined up with the back of the hood and there were no long or short sides.)

I called the place I ordered from (AutoTruckToys) and they said that I can stretch the urethane pieces and cut the long portions if I need to. Now I have installed these "plastic chrome" pieces in the past and they usually do not stretch 1/2" and if they do, they spring back after a while. Are they just trying to stick me with a bum product or what? I recently had to send back a billet grill that I ordered with the belt-line kit because it absolutely did not fit and the upper and lower fins had broken welds. I am still waiting for reimbursement.

Can you please help me with this? Does anyone have a kit like this or seen one installed? It has been so long since I have been to a cruise that I forgot what in installed belt-line looks like.

Thank You.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome Beltline Kit

I've never heard of a kit like that made out of Urethane. My car is wrapped in Autotechnica's chrome belt line kit, and it fits perfectly. Add to it, it's such a tight fit that it looks factory.

You can see it in these photos, very well made, no issues.

I can tell you this, I took a "Plastics Welding" course and a small part of it was on urethane repair. Urethane is made to remember it's shape - you can punch in a urethane covered front bumper and by heating the urethane it will pop back out and resume it's original shape. Only issues then are the paint. That being said, if you try to stretch it, it's going to try to return to it's original shape!

Last edited by Chromenut; 10 Jan 2012 at 09:53 pm.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 12:22 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I had the same thoughts on the material and stretchability. I will be calling the place of purchase in the morning. Where did you get your beltline? I have had good experiences with Autotechnica pieces.

By the way, Nice Cruiser.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 10:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via ICQ to PT_Panel

SEND IT BACK !!! you can't stretch the plastic, like Chromenut said it remembers its original shape. Don't even try to "make" it work. Tell them to send it with the correct size or get your money back. You paid to much to get a product that is right.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBQPT View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had the same thoughts on the material and stretchability. I will be calling the place of purchase in the morning. Where did you get your beltline? I have had good experiences with Autotechnica pieces.

By the way, Nice Cruiser.
I'm not Chromenut, but I got my Autotechnica parts from Maggie at Race and Street - but don't know if she carries the Autotechnica beltline kit. Her's the one she has: Race and Street: Chrysler PT Cruiser Chrome Belt Line -Auto-Tech Plastics

Last edited by harrym; 16 Jan 2012 at 05:18 pm.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 02:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, I want to send it back, but the place I bought it from and the manufacture are stuck on "it will stretch up to 1" if it is warm enough as the material shrinks during storage." Personally I do not believe it or want to try it.

On another note I did some research and PTWoody = AutoTechPlastics ( I called PT Woody and someone answered the phone as AutoTechPlastics). It seems like all the beltlines I found are from these 2 places (or 1 place really). The only beltline that has a different manufacturer is from CruiserMotorSports, but it is a shade shifter costing $125.00.

I am thinking of just returning the product regardless of what they tell me and going to O'reilly and buying some rolled chrome and making my own beltline. It looks like the 1/4" stuff will clear under the front emblem.

Thanks again to all.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, mine was purchased from my girlfriend Maggie at R&S...snicker, she'll laugh when she hears that one.... She's my favorite vendor by far.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 07:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Yes, mine was purchased from my girlfriend Maggie at R&S...snicker, she'll laugh when she hears that one.... She's my favorite vendor by far.
Mine, too!
Old 11 Jan 2012, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
Mine, too!
X3
Old 16 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You all made my day! Thank you for the kind words. I do my best to make my customers happy.
BELTLINE KIT.......I hate to say this, but I think maybe you received the wrong application . Auto-Tech Plastics (PT Woody) makes 4 different beltline kits. These kits are a very good fit!
PT002 Sedan 2001-05
PT236 Convertible 2003-05
PT250 Sedan 2006-10
PT251 Convertible 2006-10
I hope this helps you out.
Thanks again!
Maggie
www.raceandstreet.com