Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Curt vs. Hidden Hitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2012, 09:44 am
Young Cruiser

Default Curt vs. Hidden Hitch

I'm looking to put a trailer hitch on my 05 GT vert for a bike rack. I'm looking for opinions on which hitch is less visible when installed. I've seen pics on autotrucktoys.com of the hidden hitch and it looks good. Does the Curt hitch mount lower than the hidden hitch making it more visible from the back or are they both about the same. The Curt sells for a bit less than the Hidden Hitch on ebay.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Curt vs. Hidden Hitch

i install hitches daily at work, i my self have a hidden hitch on mine and it tucks up just under the plate. nice and clean. me personally i lean away from curt hitches i dont like the coating the place on them falls off fast and chips easy. i would go hidden
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 08:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the input. That's what I thought might be the case.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 10:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Your welcome. They r also a very easy instal. Only have to drill 2 holes in bumper rebar and remove both tow hooks.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 05:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007

I notice that all hitches for the PT say that it only has a tongue strength of 200lbs. What determines the tongue strength, the hitch construction or the way it is braced to the car. is there a way of making a 'custom' hitch possibly welded to frame to increase tongue strength. I am trying to use a cargo carrier to put a power wheelchair, but most power wheelchairs are a MINIMUM of 200lbs
Old 12 Sep 2012, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many bikes are you planning on carrying? I have a very nice bike rack that mounts to the back of my PT with no problems. Bottom of it sits on the rear bumper, top hooks to the top of the trunk lip, then two rubberized hooks on the bottom lip. Carries two bikes with no problems. Let me know if you are interested, I'm so broke that I'm starting to sell everything I have...

It's similar to this one: Amazon.com: Thule 9006 Gateway Rear Mounted 2 Bike Rack: Sports & Outdoors