Skid plates/ Underbody Panels

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chromenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2012, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Skid plates/ Underbody Panels

Has anyone seen any of them for our Cruisers? Just curious....
Old 18 Mar 2012, 03:33 pm
Banned

Default Re: Skid plates/ Underbody Panels

Ask over at The Crew. "Apex" and "Mcdirty" were looking into that a long time ago. They were going to make one for themselves. Believe me, if any one could do, it those two are the ones.

No one had bothered to manufacture one up to the time they ceased PT production and they most certainly won't do it now.

Jerry
Old 18 Mar 2012, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Not that big a deal. Just popped into my head. The only skid plate I would actually be interested in would be for the bottom of the front bumper. My best bud has a 96 Camaro, and it doesn't scrape the front as much as my cruiser!
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm looking through junk yards for an Oldsmobile Aurora with the Autobahn kit. The reason is, I gave away my Aurora to a friend of mine in need a couple years ago and wish I'd kept the underbody kit. On the Autobahn edition, it has an entire hardened kind of rubbery plastic panel, it's not urethane and it's not plastic, but somewhere in between. It's shaped to move the air under the car without providing any lift, it assists with downforce, but must importantly, just like an F1 race car the panel is lined with foam just like the little foam piece in our airboxes. It's there to capture any fluids leaking from the car to keep them off the wheels. Hot d@mn that is one heck of an idea. Now I'm sure it won't be an exact fit on a PT, but if I find one I'm cutting it down to fit. I loved that thing under my car! It was really cool.

The Autobahn series is from 1995, it's a unique version of the Aurora, has some really cool things to it: it lowers 3.5" at 55mph (taken from the Lincoln Mk VIII), it has a shaved down Northstar Caddy engine (300 hp vs. Caddy's 350hp), all kinds of really cool things. Wish now I'd never given it away but he needed a car, and I had an extra one sitting in the driveway that hadn't been started in 7 years. He got it running, repainted it, and OMG it looks brand new.

Anyway, deviating from this thread, that under body panel is a part of the Olds' ground effects, and soon as I find one I'm going to figure out a method of attaching it underneath my PT!!!
harrym likes this.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 06:15 am
Senior Cruiser

would this have any ill effects of cooling on the under hood temps? I'm wondering if an underbody panel would reduce the flow of air over the engine?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 19 Mar 2012, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
would this have any ill effects of cooling on the under hood temps? I'm wondering if an underbody panel would reduce the flow of air over the engine?
The kit I had on my Aurora had a 'shovel nose' on it, brought in air up to the engine bay.