Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
headlight gasket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2012, 08:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question headlight gasket?

so today i did the meguires headlight restore kit. and while ill admit the lights went from being completely NON clear.....to id say about 70% clear. im still not to happy with them.

so im thinking of getting these lights.........but was wondering do they come with those black light gasket things? or do i need to buy them separately?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: headlight gasket?

Didn't know there was a gasket on the headlights, guess I'll have to look at mine, but being an '06 it's probably different.

So your treatment didn't turn out well? Mine look better than when the day I bought them!!!

Here's a pic of my passenger side headlight before polishing it out:

And here's the front end after doing both headlights and foglights:

I've done a couple of older model PT's for friends now and they all came out looking excellent.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
so today i did the meguires headlight restore kit. and while ill admit the lights went from being completely NON clear.....to id say about 70% clear. im still not to happy with them.

so im thinking of getting these lights.........but was wondering do they come with those black light gasket things? or do i need to buy them separately?
They come with every thing except the nuts & bulbs. Have you checked these out on eBay? The more you polish the shinier they get if there is no cracks or moisture on the inside

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 Mar 2012 at 09:17 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
They come with every thing except the nuts & bulbs. Have you checked these out on eBay? The more you polish the shinier they get if there is no cracks or moisture on the inside
have i checked what out on ebay?? did you forget a link? LOL im confused...
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Didn't know there was a gasket on the headlights, guess I'll have to look at mine, but being an '06 it's probably different.

So your treatment didn't turn out well? Mine look better than when the day I bought them!!!

Here's a pic of my passenger side headlight before polishing it out:

And here's the front end after doing both headlights and foglights:

I've done a couple of older model PT's for friends now and they all came out looking excellent.

which kit did you use to do your lights? also did you use a "sealer" of some kind after the sanding?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
which kit did you use to do your lights? also did you use a "sealer" of some kind after the sanding?
I can't remember if it was Mothers or Maguiers. I think Mothers. I'll have to find my thread. I posted all my steps here on the forums along with photos. I took a couple of extra steps - went to Advance Auto and found they have the same kind of sanding pads only in long rectangles, but I could cut them into circles and get two to three pads per. Then just attached vecro to the back and worked great. So I sanded with that final piece like an extra half our and boy did they come out looking fabulous. Then yes, I used a sealer, but it's not that great and you have to add once per week to keep the UV rays off them. I've asked Candyman several times what type of clearcoat to use, but he keeps dissing me for some reason (hmmmm), otherwise I'd have clearcoated them by now.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's that thread:

Headlight refinishing...the easy way
Old 18 Mar 2012, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
have i checked what out on ebay?? did you forget a link? LOL im confused...
No link haven't figured that out yet. I meant have you checked on there for the lights. they have these and others. 380342916420 item # $139.95 free ship. Stock $81. pair.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 11:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:

I also used miguires but i dont have the idea whether they have such black light gasket things. perhaps you are pertaining to migiars black lights...
Old 13 Jun 2012, 12:18 am
Senior Cruiser

the ones i got on ebay came with the rubber "housing" around the headlights. i believe they all do. if not, just use the ones from your old headlights.

as far as a sealer, i used 50% mineral spirits and 50% hellmanns spar urethane clear gloss mixed. applied over a year ago and they still look brand new.