Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
weak horn??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2012, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question weak horn??

so the horn in this cruiser is utterly ridiculous!!! its barely hearable (i made up that word)

are they all weak like this? if so what does everyone else use as a new horn??
Old 25 Mar 2012, 10:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: weak horn??

The first model year cruisers had two horns; one high tone, one low tone.
In 2002, one of the horns was eliminated.
Also, it is possible that your horn(s) is (are) plugged up or rusty; they can go bad.
I replaced my single horn with a hi-lo set of Wolo horns. You could mount air horns, or an ah-oo-gah horn. A simple set, such as Wolo, is available for perhaps $30. Look for the highest decibel horns you can afford.

I had put a set of two trumpet air horns with compressor on my scooter, in parallel with my standard horn. When I tap the horn button, I get a "beep".
However, when I hold the button, the compressor winds up and the air horn blasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
so the horn in this cruiser is utterly ridiculous!!! its barely hearable (i made up that word)

are they all weak like this? if so what does everyone else use as a new horn??
Old 26 Mar 2012, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ugh - one of my least favorite topics but one I spent a looong time dealing with. I had a similar problem. Found out that my horn, only one and it was the high note horn, was mounted in front of the passenger side front tire behind the splash guard. However, it's down so low that it tends to take in road crud, AND add to it the horn itself was facing FORWARD instead of down, meaning that water, ice, slush, rain and snow get into it. The one time I heard it giving me that pathetic sigh versus a honk, I loosened the mounting bolt and tipped it forward and water ran out!

So, next step, moved it to the center bolt behind my front grill. Then I thought, why not add in another, louder horn? So I bought me this wonderful Wolo BadBoy airhorn and mounted it on the same spot. Then found out that there are cable connections already run on all models for the second horn even though Chrysler, in their cheap-sh*t functions, decided not to install the horn itself. So I moved the factory horn over to the driver's side and mounted it there.

Then, because it just wasn't loud enough for me, I added two chrome horns up top - one high note and one low note - both 115db - VERY loud. Now when I honk, I have four horns that will just about wake the dead! Add to it, I'm installing an airhorn near where the windshield wiper motors are in that big empty space. That will have it's own button separate from the regular horn.

Oh, also, DO NOT add all these horns onto the standard circuit of your car. Not only will it not handle all that load, but each time you add one, the total volume is cut in half because of the excessive load. I connected up all of mine through relays, and they do a great job. You run one side of the relay to the horn wire that's already there. The other side to the battery. The third lead to ground. The last lead to the horns. Now when I honk, all of them go off with a loud blast and it offers almost no load to the original horn circuit. Somewhere here I've posted a drawing of the diagram I used. If you can't find that post, let me know and I'll see if I can find the drawing and post it here.

Where my Wolo is mounted:

And my chrome horns:

Last edited by Chromenut; 26 Mar 2012 at 10:25 am.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:27 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Red face Re: weak horn??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Ugh - one of my least favorite topics but one I spent a looong time dealing with. I had a similar problem.

Then, because it just wasn't loud enough for me, I added two chrome horns up top - one high note and one low note - both 115db - VERY loud. Now when I honk, I have four horns that will just about wake the dead! Add to it, I'm installing an airhorn near where the windshield wiper motors are in that big empty space. That will have it's own button separate from the regular horn.
wow, chromenut - your PT is a real honker!

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
wow, chromenut - your PT is a real honker!
Just glad you didn't say wanker! hahaha
Old 26 Mar 2012, 07:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

yeah that bad bo horn is bad a$$...........im getting it!!!!!........so chromenut, did you have to add wiring to mount it up front? or is the factory wiring long enough?? also is there a delay (since its a type of airhorn) when hitting wheel till sound?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
yeah that bad bo horn is bad a$$...........im getting it!!!!!........so chromenut, did you have to add wiring to mount it up front? or is the factory wiring long enough?? also is there a delay (since its a type of airhorn) when hitting wheel till sound?
No, on the wiring. You'll find that the factory wiring heads back towards the front bumper, I just carefully pulled mine back through and plugged it right into the Wolo. If you don't use any other horns, you don't need to add anything!

As to the honk - no, as long as you're engine is running. You will laugh when you kit the key to lock your doors though. The "beep" length is too short for it to get a good sound, so it sounds like someone suffering from emphasyma! hhhhhhhhhh...hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... wheeeeeze....lmao. Now I put the top down last week and locked the door when we went into a sandwich shop. My daughter reached in and unlocked the door and opened it and OMG did everyone out at the gas pumps almost jump out of their pants! We were under the overhang so the sounds were bounced off the wall and seemed like they were amplified. Wow, that was loud!

I'm trying to find the picture of my mount. It was quite easy but took some fiddling to get it in there and not be right up against the radiator nor the grill, so I found a way that really fits perfect. I'll post it soon as I find it.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I'm trying to find the picture of my mount. I'll post it soon as I find it.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
oh you b*tch, you stole my image!!!!!! I created that! hahaha Right click on it, then view image, then look at your address bar - you'll see it's on my personal server....
Old 28 Mar 2012, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sadly, the pictures of my moving of the horn are on my dead computer and not this laptop. So I just took one of the photos from earlier and edited it. Note that the bolt sticking out from the center frame bar behind the front grill has a nut already on it (well, it did on mine). I loosened that up, put a locking washer behind the mounting piece on the horn (both the original when I moved it, then the Wolo when I installed it), then added another locking washer before putting the nut back on. Holds it in place and is just far enough from the radiator that the horn takes no damage from the heat. Bottom left you see the block of wires, I had to unwrap the electrical tape from them to pull the horn wires free, then re-routed them to the new location.

Mind you, it's an '06 so may be some difference in previous year's models. Also, you don't have to have off your front bumper cover. I had mine off because I was cleaning the IC and radiator and decided while I had it off to do the horn install. You can put it up on ramps, a lift or jack stands, remove the front grill and you can get to all you need to reach without removing the front bumper cover. Course, that cover is so easy to remove that I've had it off more than a dozen times now.