PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HID kits?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2012, 11:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question HID kits?

so yes i did a search for "hid" and "hid kit" both came back with zero matches........anyhow, i was wondering, instead of buying the same ole PIAA bulbs i always buy, (which is 4 total bulbs for this PT, which can be close to $100.00) i was thinking maybe an HID kit?

so my queations are..............

1. will an hid kit melt the stock housings?
2. which hid kits use the 9005xs/9006xs (straight instead of 90degree housing bulbs)?
3. which kits will actually be bright and HID?

i have a friend who paid $45.00 for some HID kit he got..he swears up and down that his pinkish purple hid's are soooo bright that people always flash brights at him. i hate to tell him they my iPhone light is a lot brighter than his crap hid kit......but hey you spend $45.00 for crap, then you get crap i guess.

im a firm believer in you get what you pay for, which is why im hoping you guys can help me find a worthy while kit for my PT......well i guess 2 kits right? 1 high, 1 low set?

thank you
2005 N/A Pt Cruiser. K&N drop in, limo tint, MSD 8.5 wires, Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs,
Old 07 Apr 2012, 09:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: HID kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
so yes i did a search for "hid" and "hid kit" both came back with zero matches........anyhow, i was wondering, instead of buying the same ole PIAA bulbs i always buy, (which is 4 total bulbs for this PT, which can be close to $100.00) i was thinking maybe an HID kit?

so my queations are..............

1. will an hid kit melt the stock housings?
2. which hid kits use the 9005xs/9006xs (straight instead of 90degree housing bulbs)?
3. which kits will actually be bright and HID?

i have a friend who paid $45.00 for some HID kit he got..he swears up and down that his pinkish purple hid's are soooo bright that people always flash brights at him. i hate to tell him they my iPhone light is a lot brighter than his crap hid kit......but hey you spend $45.00 for crap, then you get crap i guess.

im a firm believer in you get what you pay for, which is why im hoping you guys can help me find a worthy while kit for my PT......well i guess 2 kits right? 1 high, 1 low set?

thank you
I being using HID for several years now and no problems what so ever. If you want a white color like BMW and Mercedez then you should keep the bulbs around 8000k to 10,000k any other kind will change color and can give you some issues with the law. Here is the link on eBay of the ones I got on my head lights and fog lights. Good luck

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/#item?id=130525141768
Old 07 Apr 2012, 09:34 am
Senior Cruiser

I have a kit from DDMTuning.com they are inexpensive but decent quality. I got the 35 watt slim ballasts and 5000k bulbs. They put out a lot of light and I have never had anyone flash their brights at me. I have had them in for a couple years now, no heat issues with them.
Your friend gets brighted because the crap bulbs he has cause tons of glare and the awful color output. You want you stay with a bulb in the 4500-6000k light range, that is the closest to daylight.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 07 Apr 2012, 10:24 am
Regular Cruiser

so did you guys put in an HID kit for each bulb? hi and low beam?
2005 N/A Pt Cruiser. K&N drop in, limo tint, MSD 8.5 wires, Champion Double Platinum #7570 plugs,
Old 07 Apr 2012, 11:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Only low in my case!!!
Old 07 Apr 2012, 12:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN8060 View Post
Only low in my case!!!
Me too, only the low beam. The hid's take too long to reach full brightness to used them to flash the brights... They take about 15-20 seconds to fully warm up.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 07 Apr 2012, 01:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

so is there a need for bulbs in the brights? or are the HID bright enough to act as hi beams too?
Old 07 Apr 2012, 01:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Brightness and refraction(? correct word?) are different-
You can have very bright lows, but are aimed low and dispersed versus dimmer highs 'penciled' far out.

I'm interested in more about this, bought a set 9007 and had to return them-
one started smoking- the other didn't work-

seller swore up and down they worked before and after-
Don't see how I could've done wrong, simple plug in
Old 07 Apr 2012, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
so is there a need for bulbs in the brights? or are the HID bright enough to act as hi beams too?
you still can use the highs...

www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 07 Apr 2012, 07:43 pm
Young Cruiser

I have only posted on here a couple of times so if I make a mistake or do something wrong please bare with me. I have two sets of Hid's. One for the low beams and one for the high beams, I ordered off eBay and got a brand called supreme xenon pro, the ballasts and bulbs are very good quality my ballasts were made out of some kind of hard metallic material and it was very well made, and I think each kit was around 50 dollars so it was well worth it. My low beams are 15k and my high beams are 10k. I got the highs closer to white so they would be brighter, but at night you cant tell the color difference. They are pretty easy to install you just have to be patient. My first time installing the high beams (they are way more difficult to get to especially if you have bigger hands like me, lol) I accidently bent one of the bulbs so i had to buy a new one because the output color was off from the other bulb and sometimes it wouldn't cut on. The low beams are bright already but I have never gotten flashed befofe. I got the high beams because I live in the country so its pretty dark on the rural roads and of course I never use the high beams on main streets, just standing in front of them in the daylight is enough to blind you, lol. Anyways I hope all that stuff helps you out a little bit at least

[COLOR="Black"]-Soundstream vir 8300-NR touchsreen headunit
-6 skar vvx 12's (dual 4 ohm)
-12 cubic foot box tuned @ 32 hertz
-re audio mids and highs
-Dc audio 3.5k
-Mechman 240 amp alt
-Cadence 0 gauge all around
-Plasti dipped rims and bumpers
-"Blue" VVME HId low, 15k high beams.
-149 db @ 38 hertz (need to get re metered)