Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
fog lights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2012, 03:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry fog lights?

i read on some thread that some PT's had some malfunctioning with the fog lights and when i read it, i went to my car and started looking at them, i then learned that the fog light wires were cut. As far as who, i don't know, maybe the previous owner. But what i wanted to know was, is there any way to fix them? i really want them to work.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: fog lights?

I would grab a test light, or better yet a multi meter, and check the wires that have been cut. make sure that you've got current, and they're not shorting out to ground.

If this all checks out fine, you could try splicing the wires back together, and going from there.

If you've got a short somewhere, then it would explain why the wires had been cut

Exco

Bill
Old 01 May 2012, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The person who had the PT before you probably had a bad Multifunction Switch (MFS) and didn't have the knowledge to just pull the No#8 fuse to turn off the fog lights. When the switch goes bad, the fog lights stay on all the time and drain the battery.

The whole thing is a simple fix by replacing the MFS (left stalk on the steering column), splicing the wires back together and checking all the voltage as was just mentioned by Excoastie.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The person who had the PT before you probably had a bad Multifunction Switch (MFS) and didn't have the knowledge to just pull the No#8 fuse to turn off the fog lights. When the switch goes bad, the fog lights stay on all the time and drain the battery.

The whole thing is a simple fix by replacing the MFS (left stalk on the steering column), splicing the wires back together and checking all the voltage as was just mentioned by Excoastie.
well there is no wires to be found. the only ones i see are the ones that are connected to the fog lights that are cut. i can't find any wires.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those are the wires I'm talking about. Do a good splice and put them back together, then activate the fog light switch at the end of the stalk. If the lights come on, they might stay on if the MFS has failed. Also check the No#8 fuse just in case the previous owner pulled that. See if the fog lights come on and a green light show up on the right dial showing that the fogs are supposed to be on.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Those are the wires I'm talking about. Do a good splice and put them back together, then activate the fog light switch at the end of the stalk. If the lights come on, they might stay on if the MFS has failed. Also check the No#8 fuse just in case the previous owner pulled that. See if the fog lights come on and a green light show up on the right dial showing that the fogs are supposed to be on.
ok, ill do that, but it doesn't even look like it's connected to the car.
Old 01 May 2012, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RedEmma, please add what model/year PT you have to your signature block so that everyone doesn't have to keep asking that question. Would also be nice to see some pictures of the issues you're talking about. We all are shooting in the dark here, and while I have some suggestions, I'm going to hold onto them until I get more data. Garbage in, garbage out. And yes, in case you're wondering, I am busting your chops. Also, where are you located? You can update your profile with that info. If you were near me I'd be glad to come over and meet you and enjoy helping you troubleshoot the problem, as I enjoy working on all vehicles but especially PT's, and meeting new friends.

anyway, just a thought....