PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
hood scoop?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2012, 10:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool hood scoop?

Just wondering if there's a hood scoop from another car that could be put on my pt? Im not looking for the cheap ones that are solely for looks (I.e. the ones from auto parts stores). Im looking for a functioning one from a subaru legacy or something similar and subtle. Im hoping this is possible with minor fab work. Like most folks with exterior accessories im trying to make my pt unique and try new things I haven't heard of before. Any and all help is appreciated thanks in advance.

Jeremy

03 N/A CRUISER

Last edited by dunnboy; 06 May 2012 at 10:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old 07 May 2012, 04:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: hood scoop?

I went to the local scrap yard today and picked up a scoop off a subaru outback I believe it was. nice sleek 2" gap I want to say but its rather wide. I don't want to cut into the supports of the hood so I have to shorten the width of it. Another question I have is how can I go about doing this? It's a plastic insert type piece and I know I can cut it but how would I mend it back together?

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 08 May 2012, 09:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You should pribably more concerned about how your going to run your intake filter into wherever it is your planning on outting the hood scoop at. I'm guessing in the center since anywhere else would look goofy. So you've got where your going to put it. Now what about the clearance over the intake. How are you going to run something over that and still be able to clear the hood when its down? Those hood scoops on cars that are functional actually have a purpose then just a big hole in the hood. The intake filter is ran to them, in them or like older classics sticking out. That's what you should be worried about before you start cutting into your hood and regret it later.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 08 May 2012, 09:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

I haven't checked lately, but a few years ago you could find vendors selling functional hood scoops for the PT Cruiser. Some even had ducting for the under side of the hood that actually routed the fresh air directly to the air box.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 10 May 2012, 12:30 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
You should pribably more concerned about how your going to run your intake filter into wherever it is your planning on outting the hood scoop at. I'm guessing in the center since anywhere else would look goofy. So you've got where your going to put it. Now what about the clearance over the intake. How are you going to run something over that and still be able to clear the hood when its down? Those hood scoops on cars that are functional actually have a purpose then just a big hole in the hood. The intake filter is ran to them, in them or like older classics sticking out. That's what you should be worried about before you start cutting into your hood and regret it later.
Quite honestly I've been thinking it over and the more I think about it the more I feel im going to regret it. I paid $15 for the scoop and I know the subaru guys are always looking for them so im just thinking about selling it. If I need a functioning scoop ill just buy a new hood that has one already built on. Its safer and easier on me thanks for your input though its greatly appreciated.

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 10 May 2012, 01:05 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnboy View Post
Quite honestly I've been thinking it over and the more I think about it the more I feel im going to regret it. I paid $15 for the scoop and I know the subaru guys are always looking for them so im just thinking about selling it. If I need a functioning scoop ill just buy a new hood that has one already built on. Its safer and easier on me thanks for your input though its greatly appreciated.
Smart move!

The best scooped hod ever made for the PT was the "GOOD HOOD" made by Keystone. Unfortunantly they have been out of production for years. They flowed perfectly with the PT's lines and "they worked" as a ram air hood should.

The next choice is still currently available. Its the "Suncoast Creations" fiberglass ram air hood. Click here SuncoastCreations.com

Neither of these hoods is cheap. If you're looking for something cheap in a true ram air hood, thats exactly what you'll get. These fit exactly like the factory hood and come ready to sand and paint.

PTeazer makes a couple really nice hoods also.

"Reflexxeon" (spelling ?) made a steel hood with scoops. They looked a little to "industrial" for my tastes. To each his own.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 10 May 2012 at 01:08 am.
Old 10 May 2012, 01:41 am
Young Cruiser

Holy smokes yeah not anywhere near my budget. I guess ill just bondo my hood and repaint cheapest option for me lol. I shaved the front emblem in case anyone was wondering about the bondo.

03 N/A CRUISER
Old 17 May 2012, 10:10 am
Young Cruiser

Have you considered and NACA duct?

You could mount it offset just above the air intake and they are available in a right hand style.

Carbon Fibre Bonnet NACA Duct - Evo 4/5/6/7

I am considering either bonnet louvres for mine, or maybe hillbilly cowl-induction, with exposed rivet heads and satin black paint!
Old 18 May 2012, 08:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was in the same boat as you I wanted a scoop on my car so off to walmart I went gridded Down the paint on the hood, rivited it down and did some fiberglass work. Looks good still waitin for my " duct piping for the scoop to bring it to where my intake is the it will be functional

ptcru1s3r likes this.
Old 18 May 2012, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had this really nice stainless steel scoop on my hood once, but it really blocked my view so I took it off...

Last edited by Chromenut; 18 May 2012 at 09:11 pm.