Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
glassin my tail lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2004, 11:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default glassin my tail lights

So I got to thinkin about the tail lights, and since i hear so many horror stories about the APC kits I wonder if its possible to make my own out of fiberglass. basicly just use the stock covers as a mold and then do whatever pattern i want for the cut outs for the lenses. I figure that way i could get an almost frenched in look to the lights and not have to worry about melting, leaks etc...plus the added benefit of having a one of a kind set.

I'm getting kinda burnt out on the clear lens look anyway.

any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe a maltese cross pattern maybe one small for the turn signals and a larger one for the brakelight
Old 05 Feb 2004, 10:08 am
Cool Cruiser

"Pteaser" has a nice pair retro looking also "california cruiser's" have the "caddie" lites which i have, there are other choices.

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 05 Feb 2004, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

JaxPT,

I think your on to a good thing on doing something yourself and beng one-of-a-kind. I did it with my spoiler LED light. One thing to keep in mind is the laws in your state and the federal regulations. There has to be some sort of red reflector that can be seen from the side, be it on the taillight itself or somewhere on the rear side of the car...something that can make your car visable from the side at night when a light is shown towards your car. Same thing goes for the front...an amber reflector (like the one inside the OEM headlights). You can get away without these reflectors (some APC lights don't have them and say "for off road use only" and I don't believe the "caddie" lights do either)but if you live in an area where the law enforcement cracks down on stuff like that, your in trouble.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Way to go man, hope you can pull it off and make it look sleek.
Old 08 Feb 2004, 02:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JaxPT

So I got to thinkin about the tail lights, and since i hear so many horror stories about the APC kits I wonder if its possible to make my own out of fiberglass. basicly just use the stock covers as a mold and then do whatever pattern i want for the cut outs for the lenses. I figure that way i could get an almost frenched in look to the lights and not have to worry about melting, leaks etc...plus the added benefit of having a one of a kind set.

I'm getting kinda burnt out on the clear lens look anyway.

any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe a maltese cross pattern maybe one small for the turn signals and a larger one for the brakelight
Before you do anything check your state motor vehicle code. Some states only allow DOT approved taillights. Better to make sure than getting hassled
Old 08 Feb 2004, 05:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually, they require the tails to meet SAE Certification standards, and there must be an SAE Certification # stamped onto the lens/lamp in a readable area when installed.It's not just the lamp itself, but the back of the vehicle must have a certain surface-area that acts as a red reflex-reflector.This means that if the car is parked at night and light hits it, it would show up red.That is why you see some newer cars/SUVs that have these nice jeweled taillamps and somewhere on the bumper they have red reflex-reflectors.I believe the Lexus RX-300/330 is a good example.
Be sure to check your individual State's laws. Here in GA, we are rarely hassled about such things, but if you live in an area in which they have vehicle safety inspections, and/or cops that are [EXPLATIVE DELETED], such as in most Commonwealths, you'll have a hard time.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 08 Feb 2004, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just a comment, I bought a used set of APC carbon fiber taillights on ebay and in six weeks I have not had a problem yet.
Old 09 Feb 2004, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How the heck do you delete a post?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Feb 2004, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

How the heck do you delete a post?
Log on and pull up your original post. Look for the small trashcan on the row on icons on the data line with the posted date and time line. Click on the trash can and it's gone. Reenter password at prompt.
[8D]
03 Inferno Red GT (Jun 03 build), 5-speed, leather, heat, 6CD changer, moonroof; winter wheels and tires for year 'round enjoyment; silencers removed, no other mods because I'm having more than enough fun with the power I have now!
Old 09 Feb 2004, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

THANKS