PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
couple ????? about fog lights i just picked up

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2012, 03:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default couple ????? about fog lights i just picked up

I just got some fog lights and have them mounted but Instead of getting a multi function switch and all that cant I just run into the headlight power. That way when I turn my headlights on my fogs come on also?
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 24 May 2012, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: couple ????? about fog lights i just picked up

Do you really want to have the fogs on ALL the time the headlights are on? I think in some states, it's illegal, but it's up to you.

I know it's the easy way out to just wire them up to the existing hot wire of the headlights, but most fogs draw enough power on their own that it might be too much for the wiring to have both headlights and fogs from the same wiring.

A little effort on your part with a separate relay and on/off switch would make it a better accessory. if you have an 01-05 cruiser, there's 4 fuses in the PDC (Power Distributin Center) in the engine compartment that are spare that you can use for power of any accessory that you want.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 May 2012, 03:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Do you really want to have the fogs on ALL the time the headlights are on? I think in some states, it's illegal, but it's up to you.

I know it's the easy way out to just wire them up to the existing hot wire of the headlights, but most fogs draw enough power on their own that it might be too much for the wiring to have both headlights and fogs from the same wiring.

A little effort on your part with a separate relay and on/off switch would make it a better accessory. if you have an 01-05 cruiser, there's 4 fuses in the PDC (Power Distributin Center) in the engine compartment that are spare that you can use for power of any accessory that you want.

I was thinking about running it on a switch. Might end up doing it. While I was typing this thread I was thinking about what if its to much power with all 4 lights on the headlight switch. So a seperate switch is prob what I'm gonna do. Not now tho. Already cleaned up, I'll tackle that task next time. Gotta get back to the family. But thanks. You pretty much confirmed what I thought. Exactly why I love this site.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 24 May 2012, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

i picked up a few mfs at a pick n pull yard. no idea what year or if they work. if you want to take a chance i can send you one for $25 shipped obo.

KB
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 24 May 2012, 05:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurPTGT View Post
i picked up a few mfs at a pick n pull yard. no idea what year or if they work. if you want to take a chance i can send you one for $25 shipped obo.

KB
I'm gonna go the seperate switch route. I like that better. Plus I think the pick n pull here there only like 10 bucks. Had to buy one for my z before I got the pt. But thanka for looking out tho

Old 24 May 2012, 08:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Pretty easy to tap into the two wires at the steeringwheel that control them

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2012, 08:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Pretty easy to tap into the two wires at the steeringwheel that control them
Even though mine didn't come with fogs or the switch? Or which 2 wires are you talking about?

Old 24 May 2012, 09:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yeah, the plugs fuses and all should still be there... Give me a sec to see if I can pull up a pic

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 24 May 2012, 09:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay

Tada! See the blue and pink wire that are all by themselves with two blank spots beside them?

Thats the foglight wires. If you spliced those wires and one to one side of a switch and the other to another side of a switch when you flipped the switch it would connect and complete the circuit just as if you were using the regular mfs.

On top of that it would also light up the fog light dash light when they were on and alert you if they were left on with the car off.

The harness is located ontop of the steering wheel pluggedinto the MFS. Basically 2 phillips head screws under the steeringwheel then separate and remove the plastic. Then take off the two torx (or phillips) screws on top of the steering collum off then unhook the harness by pulling the red pin out a bit then pushing down the connector and pulling them apart.

I could do it blindfolded haha

Old 25 May 2012, 07:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Alright. I might take a look at that. It'll have to be next week. But does it already have power? Or am I running a power wire to the switch then to those wires? And which wire am I splicing into. Would like more details, this might be my new approach.