Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
09 Grill trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 09 Grill trim

A couple of years ago I picked up an 09 Cruiser. It didn't have the chrome strips on the grill so I got some somewhere. I don't remember if I bought them as one of the precut kits off of Ebay or just picked up a roll at a local auto parts store. Anyway, a couple of them are starting to flake. Looking to replace them (or all of them if I have to) has put me in a bit of a twit. Of course, I can't find any pieces that might have been left over to measure. The best I can come up with is that it's 11/16 of an inch on the side that sticks to the grill. That means half an inch is too small and three quarters of an inch is too big. Trying to convert this to mm doesn't help much. Has any one put some of these strips on the grill of their 2nd generation, and, if so, what the heck size did you use? It seems more economical to get a roll than one of the kits but some rolls are identified in inches and some metric. Grrrr On the one hand, this isn't a big deal but on the other, I want to take of this before the cold of winter sets in. Any help/insight would be most gratefully received.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 08:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 09 Grill trim

I just did my 09 and I used 1/2 inch that I got at Autozone.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 08:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

There are 25.4 mm in an inch so the math is pretty basic to figure. For example 25.4 (one inch) x .5 (1/2 inch) = 12.7, or rounding up it's 13mm.

11/16" is figured thus, 25.4mm divided by 16 = 1.5875mm x 11 = 17.4625, or again rounding up it's 18mm.

Just by remembering the one number of 25.4 you can figure inchs and fractions all day long. There are also easy to Google conversion charts on the net that you can print out and toss in your toolbox.

I mean this post as a tip for everyone and not as a smart you know what comment at you. Worse case, maybe you will have to remove all the old chrome strips and start over fresh with some that are close in size. That way they will match each other in both size and in freshness.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I think I know where I can pick up some 1/2 inch trim. I'll just take all the old stuff off and see what the 1/2 inch looks like. After all, if doesn't suit it's not like it's the end of the world.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Here is what mine looks like with the 1/2 inch.

My 2009 Cruiser
Old 24 Aug 2012, 08:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not exactly sure what size mine is (got it off eBay) but it's definitely not 1/2 inch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.