Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exterior, Interior Teflon Coating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2004, 12:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Exterior, Interior Teflon Coating?

I just purchaced an 2004 GT. The dealer was pushing a Teflon Coating for both the paint (Inferno Red) and the interior. The package also included a car undercoating. It is suppose to reduce the noise. Has anyone heard anything about these products? It is advertised under "The Protector" name. The only info I have found is http://cpc-corp.com/pages/cpc-auto.html.

Thanks in Advance
[8)]
Old 19 Feb 2004, 01:40 am
Dedicated Cruiser

flyboy88 welcome to the forum.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 19 Feb 2004, 04:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flyboy88

I just purchased an 2004 GT. The dealer was pushing a Teflon Coating for both the paint (Inferno Red) and the interior. The package also included a car undercoating. It is suppose to reduce the noise. Has anyone heard anything about these products? It is advertised under "The Protector" name. The only info I have found is http://cpc-corp.com/pages/cpc-auto.html.

Thanks in Advance
[8)]
Welcome Flyboy

I am not familiar with this particular product but in general, the add-on packages offered by the dealer are a get rich quick scheme for the dealer. Most of these add-on protection packages are priced at 5 to 10 times the actual cost to the dealer. Some of the less honest dealers will put an undercoating package on a car and ask $500 or more for it. Their cost is less than $100, the car doesn't need it and it they do a particularly bad job of spraying it on it can actually increase you chance of getting water trapped up next to the car and starting to rust. I don't buy the claims they are throwing out.

I am not saying that the products are lousy, just that I would suspect the dealer is asking WAY too much for what they are worth. The paint sealer is probably not one bit better than the sealer that Gary sells for $10 a bottle that will do your car half a dozen times.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I would be interested in Gary's thoughts since he is in the detailing business.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 08:50 am
Regular Cruiser

I agree with MichaelDay. Don't do it. Big Rip Off!
04 GT Inferno Red Loaded, Mopar Dual Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Mopar Cabin Air Filter, Mopar BOV Kit, Blane Hood Struts, Strut Tower Brace, Kaiser Custom 17\" Wheels, Nankang Sport NS-1 225/45R17 Tires, Custom Decals, TYC Back-up Lights, LED Glow Lights in and out, Red Fuzzy Dice, Yet To Go; Mopar Stage-2 Turbo Kit, Mopar Stage-2 Suspension, Custom Paint.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RD CHILI

Also agree. Especially the undercoating! All it will do is stink up your car.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Feb 2004, 11:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RD CHILI

Also agree. Especially the undercoating! All it will do is stink up your car.
Welcome flyboy88 to the Forum.

I worked at a dealership and talked with the Service Manager one day and he told me, "If you are going to keep the car more than 4 years, undercoating MAY be something needed". Of course this was in Michigan, (road salt). I watched the "expert" applying it one day and he went wild spraying it all over even on some of the interior. Decided against ANY undercoasting at all, anywhere!! My .02 worth. It is a waste of money that you could use to "MOD" your PT. [^]
Old 19 Feb 2004, 12:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Fly away boy fly away from doing that. Big rip off.
Welcome the the fourm Flyboy88
Old 19 Feb 2004, 03:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

It is one of the biggest ripoffs that the F&I department has to sell. They pay a few dollars per application and charge hundreds for the paint "snake oil". You will be very unhappy with the undercoating. Just say no! Take car of your paint with the many very good products available (see the forum at this site for Gary's stuff) and NEVER trust a dealer.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Feb 2004, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't do it!!Check out www.perfectautofinish.com
Welcome to the forum[^]

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 20 Feb 2004, 12:28 am
Regular Cruiser

as a 2nd gig, i work for a company that inventories auto dealers parts departments. they pay pennies for something they charge you cubic dollars. the car salesman makes a big commission on each complete interior and exterior "protection" package they sell. it takes them no time to perform this "work". i have been in the next room when they high five each other when one guys sells the snake oil package. the gloating they do at the customers expense is nauseating. urp. they call us idiots and worse when we are just trying to protect our investment. best to spend a couple of hours with a few bucks worth of products and do it your self. many $ saved.
saved my $
redrum
03GT