Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Antenna Issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2012, 06:56 am
Young Cruiser

Question Antenna Issue.

I purchased this 2001 na PT used, and it appears that someone tried to remove the antenna bolt and kinda butchered it up. I got a shorty antenna, but cannot for the life of me remove that bolt. I have searched and I cannot find much help. I do know they say to leave the antenna in once I go to take the bolt off, but I can't even make it to the point.

Sucks!.jpg
Old 03 Sep 2012, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Antenna Issue.

Those 3 little notches are what you need to turn in order to unscrew the base. Put masking tape all around the base of the antenna on the paint itself to protect while unscrewing. Take a small screwdriver and place it in the notch and lightly hit it with a hammer just enough to start it turning in a counter-clockwise motion. Keep taping with the hammer as the base unscrews itself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 09:18 am
Young Cruiser

Thx! Tried that, but who ever own this before me also tried and chewed it up. You can kind of see in the picture. When I tried it simply would not budge. I am sure it is rusted on there and I just may need to spay something to cut through it. Dunno...
Old 03 Sep 2012, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Almost all auto parts stores loan or rent specialty tools to DIY'ers. I would be surprised if they didn't have the 3-point wrench or socket handy to loosen that chrome nut deal. It usually doesn't matter that you didn't buy the antenna from them.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Maybe I am reading this wrong but you don't have to take that special chrome nut off to replace the antenna. Just unscrew the antenna hex that sits on top of it.
Old 03 Sep 2012, 02:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had issues with my antenna. Someone snapped it right off. my issue was I could not get the shorty to fit at all.

I opened the door on my PT, stuck my hand down the gap, and turned the big metal rod to get it all loose. I am not that orthodox when I do things.

Fitting the new one with the existing parts I had to cut the thread piece down as it was too long.

If you have the standards antenna right now you can pull out the antenna rod, but you cannot screw anything else in at all, that was my issue.

Old 03 Sep 2012, 05:52 pm
Young Cruiser

2step - I tied the auto part stores and they do not have a tool for it.

Ray - my shorty antenna bolt will not reach the threads. So I was going to try and see if I could get better results by pulling that bolt. May not work, but I am planning on ordering a chrome antenna bezel, but need to be able to pull this first.

Whiteclaw - I may be having the same issue with mine. It will not screw down, but I am assuming it is because the stem is too short on the new antenna. However, my issue sound way too close to your's. Did you have to pull the nut to get it to fit?
Old 04 Sep 2012, 02:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Did you find with your shorty antenna it came with a couple of brass coloured thread bolts?

I pulled the old antenna, (half an antenna) out without unscrewing anything, it is simply just slotted in I found. The wires are connected to the main rod which sits behind the fender.

I pulled the antenna straight out.

This made it a heck of a lot easier to unscrew that 3 pin type screw on the top.

Once done I cut one of those brass coloured threads in half, it was too long for me. I attached it to the billet shorty antenna, and then screwed it all down.

I spent absolutely ages trying to do mine. Everyone was saying how easy it was to fit a new one in the many threads on the issue. I didn't think so to be honest with you.

Unfortunately, the rod on mine has already rusted. Just my luck. I could take photos of mine by unscrewing it all to show you what I did.

Old 04 Sep 2012, 04:51 am
Young Cruiser

Some pics would be helpful. The shorty came with several thread extensions, but the one that should work does not seem long enough. Well at least I can't get it to thread, and is driving me nuts. I don't mind spending time on something to do it right, but dang.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 10:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

http://www.selectiongallery.com/mobi...u=0&gid=932748

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KTI-70092/

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kti70092.html

i'd call and verify they have it in stock before ordering, or, butcher an 11/16" socket with an anglegrinder(if you're good at that sort of thing)

Last edited by rob342; 04 Sep 2012 at 10:59 am.