Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Windshield

I've ownded my '03 for about 2 years. At some point prior to me buying it, the old owner must have replaced the windshield.

They did a bad job. It leaks in 2 spots, especially in the hard summer storms of GA. I'd like to figure out something before winter. The front passenger side carpet gets damp when it rains. It also drips on my hands a bit.... When I got it, there was some evidence of him trying to use RTV or something to seal it... didn't work.

Does anyone know if an installation place (like Safelite...) could just take the windshield off and reinstall it properly? There really isn't anything wrong with the glass (couple of minor chips) it's just the sealant or whatever.

I don't really want to pay $200 - 300 (just quoted it online at about $250) to replace something that isn't really broken. I don't want an unnecessary claim on my insurance either.

Any ideas? Is it something I could do? I don't have any experience with this stuff, but can follow instructions.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield

call a glass place near the closest big city. i live by chicago so i called a shop in berwyn, a predominantly mexican suburb. here is my exact quote from last time i replied to a windshield thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
dont know where you live, but i called auto glass place and they sent a mexican to my work and he installed it in an hour. i payed $120 installed
if i had brought the car to them it would have been even cheaper. they did a perfect job. no leaks, no complaints. $250 is A LOT.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am assuming that you have not ever personally repalced a windshield in any car in the past?

You may look on your local Criags List and see if there is some one offering windshield glass replacement service? You can usally find these guys working out of thier own trucks and have beed replacing glass long enough that they are really good at it.
craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Go to auto parts
under search for type: *auto glass service
You will see many results I just looked.

What most everyone will tell you it is not about how well or not the condition of the windshield is but rather how difficult and safely they can remove it without breaking it. No matter how slow and careful you can be there is always nature that seems to jump its ugly head and cause Gremlins to poke a figure at the effort and break the glass. So what I am saying is YES you can reuse your glass but be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace it should a fracture occur during removal.

I use this tool and the **2 man technique with handles and stainless steel wire. I prefer the 2 man as long as there is a coordinated effort.

Be cautious of the glass that is sold from anyone. The OEM is always the best, aftermarket has slight difference that sometimes makes a difference with the end results. If someone says otherwise it a sales pitch shine-um-on there are plenty glass dealers out there.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Sep 2012 at 01:31 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
call a glass place near the closest big city. i live by chicago so i called a shop in berwyn, a predominantly mexican suburb. here is my exact quote from last time i replied to a windshield thread

if i had brought the car to them it would have been even cheaper. they did a perfect job. no leaks, no complaints. $250 is A LOT.
LOl -- thanks - that's good information.
Old 07 Sep 2012, 02:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I am assuming that you have not ever personally repalced a windshield in any car in the past?

You may look on your local Criags List and see if there is some one offering windshield glass replacement service? You can usally find these guys working out of thier own trucks and have beed replacing glass long enough that they are really good at it.
craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Go to auto parts
under search for type: *auto glass service
You will see many results I just looked.

What most everyone will tell you it is not about how well or not the condition of the windshield is but rather how difficult and safely they can remove it without breaking it. No matter how slow and careful you can be there is always nature that seems to jump its ugly head and cause Gremlins to poke a figure at the effort and break the glass. So what I am saying is YES you can reuse your glass but be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace it should a fracture occur during removal.

Be cautious of the glass that is sold from anyone. The OEM is always the best, aftermarket has slight difference that sometimes makes a difference with the end results. If someone says otherwise it a sales pitch shine-um-on there are plenty glass dealers out there.
Yes no personal experience at all.

Cool. thanks!! My work internet is blocking access to craigslist, but I'll look later.

Thanks again!
Old 09 Sep 2012, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

I remember a thread about this years ago. There was something about the adheasive that is often used by those cheapie places. It costs as much as a jar of peanutbutter and works about the same. Tell 'em you will pay a few bucks extra for the good stuff.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I remember a thread about this years ago. There was something about the adheasive that is often used by those cheapie places. It costs as much as a jar of peanutbutter and works about the same. Tell 'em you will pay a few bucks extra for the good stuff.
so they laugh and charge him more and use the same stuff anyways?