PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Windshield

I've ownded my '03 for about 2 years. At some point prior to me buying it, the old owner must have replaced the windshield.

They did a bad job. It leaks in 2 spots, especially in the hard summer storms of GA. I'd like to figure out something before winter. The front passenger side carpet gets damp when it rains. It also drips on my hands a bit.... When I got it, there was some evidence of him trying to use RTV or something to seal it... didn't work.

Does anyone know if an installation place (like Safelite...) could just take the windshield off and reinstall it properly? There really isn't anything wrong with the glass (couple of minor chips) it's just the sealant or whatever.

I don't really want to pay $200 - 300 (just quoted it online at about $250) to replace something that isn't really broken. I don't want an unnecessary claim on my insurance either.

Any ideas? Is it something I could do? I don't have any experience with this stuff, but can follow instructions.
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: Windshield

call a glass place near the closest big city. i live by chicago so i called a shop in berwyn, a predominantly mexican suburb. here is my exact quote from last time i replied to a windshield thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
dont know where you live, but i called auto glass place and they sent a mexican to my work and he installed it in an hour. i payed $120 installed
if i had brought the car to them it would have been even cheaper. they did a perfect job. no leaks, no complaints. $250 is A LOT.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:20 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,792
Default Re: Windshield

I am assuming that you have not ever personally repalced a windshield in any car in the past?

You may look on your local Criags List and see if there is some one offering windshield glass replacement service? You can usally find these guys working out of thier own trucks and have beed replacing glass long enough that they are really good at it.
craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Go to auto parts
under search for type: *auto glass service
You will see many results I just looked.

What most everyone will tell you it is not about how well or not the condition of the windshield is but rather how difficult and safely they can remove it without breaking it. No matter how slow and careful you can be there is always nature that seems to jump its ugly head and cause Gremlins to poke a figure at the effort and break the glass. So what I am saying is YES you can reuse your glass but be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace it should a fracture occur during removal.



I use this tool and the **2 man technique with handles and stainless steel wire. I prefer the 2 man as long as there is a coordinated effort.



**



Be cautious of the glass that is sold from anyone. The OEM is always the best, aftermarket has slight difference that sometimes makes a difference with the end results. If someone says otherwise it a sales pitch shine-um-on there are plenty glass dealers out there.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Sep 2012 at 01:31 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 01:30 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
call a glass place near the closest big city. i live by chicago so i called a shop in berwyn, a predominantly mexican suburb. here is my exact quote from last time i replied to a windshield thread



if i had brought the car to them it would have been even cheaper. they did a perfect job. no leaks, no complaints. $250 is A LOT.
LOl -- thanks - that's good information.
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2012, 02:25 pm
mikelikestobike's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 365
Default Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I am assuming that you have not ever personally repalced a windshield in any car in the past?

You may look on your local Criags List and see if there is some one offering windshield glass replacement service? You can usally find these guys working out of thier own trucks and have beed replacing glass long enough that they are really good at it.
craigslist: atlanta classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Go to auto parts
under search for type: *auto glass service
You will see many results I just looked.

What most everyone will tell you it is not about how well or not the condition of the windshield is but rather how difficult and safely they can remove it without breaking it. No matter how slow and careful you can be there is always nature that seems to jump its ugly head and cause Gremlins to poke a figure at the effort and break the glass. So what I am saying is YES you can reuse your glass but be prepared for the possibility of needing to replace it should a fracture occur during removal.

Be cautious of the glass that is sold from anyone. The OEM is always the best, aftermarket has slight difference that sometimes makes a difference with the end results. If someone says otherwise it a sales pitch shine-um-on there are plenty glass dealers out there.
Yes no personal experience at all.

Cool. thanks!! My work internet is blocking access to craigslist, but I'll look later.

Thanks again!
__________________
'03 Manual non-turbo in Silver w/ Factory flames.
K & N Drop in, Modded airbox, MSD Superconductor wires, Strut bar, blue dots in taillights. Sold 12/13
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Sep 2012, 09:51 am
2step's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Braunfels, Texas.
Posts: 1,672
Default Re: Windshield

I remember a thread about this years ago. There was something about the adheasive that is often used by those cheapie places. It costs as much as a jar of peanutbutter and works about the same. Tell 'em you will pay a few bucks extra for the good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Sep 2012, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I remember a thread about this years ago. There was something about the adheasive that is often used by those cheapie places. It costs as much as a jar of peanutbutter and works about the same. Tell 'em you will pay a few bucks extra for the good stuff.
so they laugh and charge him more and use the same stuff anyways?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield War_Eagle Exterior Accessories Forum 1 03 Sep 2012 07:55 am
Windshield Visor oldretiredfred Exterior Accessories Forum 1 21 Jun 2009 08:46 am
Windshield moulding wengerda PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 0 26 Jul 2005 02:55 pm
stressed windshield zoned Tech & Performance Forum 6 08 May 2005 08:04 am
windshield shadowrider General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 29 Jun 2004 04:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors