Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Window tint this may sound dumb...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2004, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Window tint this may sound dumb...

I have my front windows tinted and its darker then the backs.

What is the back factory tint at? I heard it was at 20%?

I have been trying to figure out what to do. I had to schedule time off from work to get this stuff done the first time and that is why I have been contemplating going back to get it fixed. They put 15% on the front and I was told by another company that the back is at 20%.

Should I have them redo the tint in the front remove and replace, or tint over the back windows with at light tint. The only problem Im having is that the company charges like an addtional 35 for a upgraded tint. Which means something darker than the standard 25% or 30% I believe. In other words a paid a pretty price to have the fronts done.

I like the sun reduce it has on the front alot and that is why I was considering having the backs tinted over. The factory glass in the back really dosen't have much UV protection to it. If you sit in the sun at a 180 to the sun, the back is signifcantly hotter then the front. I really don't think the 5% difference in tint has to do with the heat index in the PT. With the fronts tinted as is, if I have the window down in the sun I can hardly see, but when I put it up I don't even need sun glasses.

What to do, what to do?

Much help would be appreciate, I have some time this mourning to possiblely get it done today.

It has been approx. 20 days since done the first time.

Thanks
Old 20 Feb 2004, 01:11 pm
Administrator

Maybe try the Forums at www.tintdude.com/forum/

Good luck.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Since I have not gotten a response for over two hours I will try that out. Thanks
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KingKole02

I have my front windows tinted and its darker then the backs.

What is the back factory tint at? I heard it was at 20%?

I have been trying to figure out what to do. I had to schedule time off from work to get this stuff done the first time and that is why I have been contemplating going back to get it fixed. They put 15% on the front and I was told by another company that the back is at 20%.

Should I have them redo the tint in the front remove and replace, or tint over the back windows with at light tint. The only problem Im having is that the company charges like an addtional 35 for a upgraded tint. Which means something darker than the standard 25% or 30% I believe. In other words a paid a pretty price to have the fronts done.

I like the sun reduce it has on the front alot and that is why I was considering having the backs tinted over. The factory glass in the back really dosen't have much UV protection to it. If you sit in the sun at a 180 to the sun, the back is signifcantly hotter then the front. I really don't think the 5% difference in tint has to do with the heat index in the PT. With the fronts tinted as is, if I have the window down in the sun I can hardly see, but when I put it up I don't even need sun glasses.

What to do, what to do?

Much help would be appreciate, I have some time this mourning to possiblely get it done today.

It has been approx. 20 days since done the first time.

Thanks
KingKole, A good tint shop should have a meter to determine the exact tint of the rear window, I know inspection stations in NC do. I think this is going to be a personal choice for you. This is what I would do, I'd get the front window retinted to match the rear windows. Tint, no matter how good will eventually need to be replaced, it can get scratched, etc. Why have to worry about four windows when if you just redo the front you only have to worry about two windows. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't had much time today to get on the forum, I'm ripping out the walls and floor in my bathroom. Just found out I've had a slow leak for some time and the floor is rotten, must replace everything.

The only down side is the fact that I have to use the money I've been saving for my PTeaser Front end and roll pan to do repairs. That sucks!

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

IRPT,
If there is no home to house your PT then there is no need for parts because even the PT will no longer look good.

Thanks for the info. I guess that is what Im going to do. I have a appointment with the tinter tommorrow at 8-8:30 AM.

I will ask him about the meter and see if he can check the tint for me so as I can match it the best I can.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here are a couple of links to info on a couple of models of window tint meters. If he gives you a dumb look like, "What the heck is that" you can explain it to him.

http://www.radiotronics.com/tintmeter/tintmeter.htm

http://www.solarstop.net/edtm/pdf/vp1165.pdf

By the way, if he doesn't know what one is I'd go to a different tinting shop.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs

KingK,

When I had my front windows done, I told my guy that I just wanted them to match the back windows. He had the specs somewhere in a manual, i believe, and got it dead on. Looks great.

If you don't have any luck at your appointment, let me know and I can get in touch with my tint guy and see what info he has.

Good luck!

Biebs

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

yobiebs,
I was going to ask you what percentage is your tint at now? But I guess you would have to ask him for the info.

The 15% on the front I have now is certainly too dark compared to the rears. I like it dark and all because people can't see me at night. But I really cant see them either.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 04:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

IRPT,
Thanks for the info. links.
Even thought I read them I really don't understand what it does, except measure the amount of light the tint is letting in and the heat index the lights causes. I guess.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 04:12 pm
insane1

i just ordered pre-cut tint off ebay for $12.00 and the company says the factory rear tint is 22% .