Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Keystone Hoods: FAQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2004, 02:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Keystone Hoods: FAQ

Revising this topic rather than starting a new thread... may even make a formal FAQ for it once I'm done futzing with it.

So far to sum up:

Blane's and Moss Hood Struts will work with the Keystone "Good Hood"s (KG/H). Though some people have done so you do not need to drill in the missing upper mounting hole in the KG/H to use the lift kits. Instead most KG/H owners use a heavy duty 3M adhesive in place of the upper bolt.

New questions:

Has anyone had problems with heat damage to the washer-fluid tubing? The stock hood has the tubing tucked behind the hood liner. The factory hood also has clips that hold the tubing up against the hood and away from the engine. The KG/H doesn't have these. How did you mount the tubing to the hood.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 07:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptcruzin42

I sued blaines hood strust and they fit perfectly on mine. Everyones loves them too, I had them color matched.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 08:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Beacon, I used Blanes hood struts on my keystone hood also works fine....
Old 25 Feb 2004, 08:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Aye just searched over at PTE Forums and saw some threads about this.

The hood and paint are pretty much killing my mod fund for the time being so I was hoping to be able to use the Moss ones rather than be forced to buy another set from Blane. I saw that his fit without needing to drill or anything (which is really sweet). But a few folks solved the problem by using a pad of 3M doublesided in place of the toggle bolt. A couple even *cringe* drilled holes to keep the install as it is on the stock hood. I don't have the stones to drill into my brand new hood so think I'll go with the 3M.

Edit: Thanks guys, may have to just suck it up and shell out for one of Blane's sets. The more I think about it I don't really wanna stick tape on the hood either if I can help it. bleh. :/
Old 25 Feb 2004, 10:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Tape is kinda a scary way to secure your hood too

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

Tape is kinda a scary way to secure your hood too
hahaha, no doubt. To be honest unless he (Blane) makes different brackets for Keystone users the ones on his site look exactly like the ones form Moss except Blane's seem to be only attached at the hood assembly's upper bolt on each side and don't attach at the top of the bracket. Which is exactly how they would be if I used the ones I have now.

The hood itself is still attached by four bolts just like stock. The 3M tape would just serve to prevent the brackets from shifting since they would only be attached at the bottom.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There used to be a bolt and plate that held the bracket in addition to the hood bolt. Now....it's the bolt...and tape.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:

Old 26 Feb 2004, 05:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Okay threads changed a bit with some new questions scroll up to the top to see what's different.
Old 02 Mar 2004, 12:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I think I'm in for the Keystone single scoop.

Homepage:

Old 02 Mar 2004, 05:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

I think I'm in for the Keystone single scoop.
I think you'll be pleased with it, my paint guy had to reschedule on me so it's not going in 'til the 7th. I've had a good long time to look over every inch of this thing and it's really really nice. I give Keystone a "C" on packing though. It comes in a HUGE box but they only use formed foam blocks on both "feet" of the hood and one formed block that cradles the front lip/nose. Well it cradles it if it manages to stay put. All it would take would be a strip of masking tape to hold it. Mine had shifted so much during transport that it had slid around to the side putting some minor scratches into the gel coat. Granted the paint shop will be touching it up regardless but not having that block secured could've meant having a cracked hood by the time it got to me. A large part of the blame rests with the freight company of course (wheels the box up to my door with the "This End Up" pointed squarely at the ground).

I broke down and test fit it on Sunday and was really pleased with the fit. Pretty much just plopped it down and it wasn't even 1/8" off. Just gonna take a little shifting to get it perfect.

I took a bunch of pics while I was test fitting so I'll get them up as soon as I'm able.

The only things I noticed that were a little off were the slot for the factory prop. It's not even close to being lined up to where you could use it. Not a big issue as there isn't a chance in hell I'd be using the factory prop with a fiber hood. The other issue I have I mentioned above regarding the missing mounting brackets for the washer fluid hose. I haven't heard from anyone about what they did with them. On other forums a number of people said they just let them dangle. I'm looking for some brackets that will easily attach to the hood and help keep the hose up. I may be a little anal about it but it seems silly to me to put the money and time into dressing the car up and then just let the hoses hang there. So far I've ordered some good quality silicone replacement hosing to get rid of the factory plumbing since there also won't be the factory blankie to cover/protect the hose from the engine heat.