PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replacing tail lights bulbs to LEDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2012, 08:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Replacing tail lights bulbs to LEDs

Hey everyone, just a quick question. I kind of want to find a way of making my tail lights light up brighter, I am wondering how much of an effect would it be if I bought LED lights and put them in.

Click link to check out my cruiser and see what I've done to it.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 02:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing tail lights bulbs to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkAvengerX View Post
Hey everyone, just a quick question. I kind of want to find a way of making my tail lights light up brighter, I am wondering how much of an effect would it be if I bought LED lights and put them in.
Some of them are brighter, but in my experience you will need to replace the front and rear bulbs, and add resistors to make everything work. I recently tried this mod. I bought 3 sets of bulbs trying to find the look I wanted. No luck. I am back to regular bulbs.

One other note: None of these bulbs will fit into the openings in the tail light or headlamp housings. You will have to use a Dremel to open them up.

Hope this helps.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 22 Dec 2012, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Tried the amber bulbs in the front when I replaced the headlights and I did not like them. The one I tried had all the LEDs forward facing so they did not reflect well and were much dimmer than the stock bulb so I went back to stock.
Old 22 Dec 2012, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jason is correct, the "plug-in" replacement bulbs just don't do it. You really need to use LED's with an associated circuit that allows them to be brighter, allows them to work better and pull less current than standard bulbs, and gives the system no added load. That last item is especially important to any '06 and up models since they are on the CAN buss.

Personally, I tried replacing my tail light bulbs with LED plug-ins and they just didn't work very well. The turn signals were terrible. So, ended up replacing them with very expensive LED tail lights from Race & Street. Matter of fact, today I'm replacing the current tail lights (Bermuda Blacks) with the Smoked ones. Started out with the Chrome version, then Bermuda Blacks, now going darker but loaded with LEDs so that when lit up they are VERY bright.

I'll do some comparison photos tonight, before and after so y'all can see the difference. Again, you can try the plug-in bulb replacements, but personally I think they are a waste of money.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 23 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

BS to some of the above
I've had LEDs in my lights for a few years now. THERE WERE NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED THE LIGHT HOUSINGS.
I posted a flasher mod on here awhile back. All you need to do is cut a tracer in the flasher modual.
These LED bulbs fire off in all directions: Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
Old 24 Dec 2012, 05:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I recently bought a set of 4 LED bulbs to put into the reversing light. They don 't give more light, only the same but really white. I wanted max light output and that 's not easy to find.
Installed Mopar sub !

PT Cruiser forum Belgium
Old 24 Dec 2012, 09:45 am
Senior Cruiser

alot may depend on the beam pattern
Old 24 Dec 2012, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

They also sell plug-in LED auto bulbs that reflect in every direction you can think of. Available for most replacement bulb numbers (3157 etc.).

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Turn-Si...lights-220.htm
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Dec 2012 at 10:38 am.