PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone have the "Smoothie" Front Fascia?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone have the "Smoothie" Front Fascia?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here had the Pteazer — "Smoothie" Front Fascia?? I really like how that looks, along with the OEM style grill, as well as the PTeazer rear rollpan.

However, I was looking at the fine print if you will, on these parts, and it says it does not comply with crash ratings or whatever. Does this mean if I bought these parts, and had them put on, and I drove the car, I could get a ticket? or possibly be sued if I got into an accident? I dont really see how it would affect anything, becuase as far as I know, it doesnt remove anything major. It just removes the plastic bumpers covers.

Maybe I am totally wrong, and it does remove more than what I actually think. But if anyone has and input on this, let me know! I'd really like to hear what you have to say. I also really like the Keystone functional ram-air hood. I see the current post about that, so I wont go into that any more. But just let me know what would happen if I did install the PTeazer front facia, grill and rear roll pan!!

Thanks,
Matt

[?]
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by matt87951

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here had the Pteazer — "Smoothie" Front Fascia?? I really like how that looks, along with the OEM style grill, as well as the PTeazer rear rollpan.

However, I was looking at the fine print if you will, on these parts, and it says it does not comply with crash ratings or whatever. Does this mean if I bought these parts, and had them put on, and I drove the car, I could get a ticket? or possibly be sued if I got into an accident? I dont really see how it would affect anything, becuase as far as I know, it doesnt remove anything major. It just removes the plastic bumpers covers.

Maybe I am totally wrong, and it does remove more than what I actually think. But if anyone has and input on this, let me know! I'd really like to hear what you have to say. I also really like the Keystone functional ram-air hood. I see the current post about that, so I wont go into that any more. But just let me know what would happen if I did install the PTeazer front facia, grill and rear roll pan!!

Thanks,
Matt

[?]
Nothing would probably just 'happen', depending on how strict they are where you live, but the PTeazer parts do require that you remove the metal bumper from the front of the car, which is located under the factory front fascia.It crosses the entire width of the front.
Now if you got into an accident, you could *possibly* be sued by a passenger in your car for negligence if not having the crossbar played a factor in injuries to one of your occupants.I think it's unlikely, but in today's sue-happy culture, it wouldn't surprise me.

As far as legallity, I would check with your local authorities.These kinds of ordinances vary from place to place.

I would also call PTeazer and see what they have to say.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 16 Mar 2004, 08:21 pm
Young Cruiser

I've had a PTeaser Smoothie assembly for about two years. Besides having to shortening to frame by 1-1/4" and then welding on a tubular bumper, the install was simple and my local body shop did the install in just a few days. The look is cool.

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?c...=1079479202983

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?c...=1079479202983
Old 16 Mar 2004, 11:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As you can see, I added 1936 Ford bumpers to my Smoothie fascia and rool pan. As for the legality, that may be an issue, but it has not been addressed by PTeazer to my knowledge. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for one yet.

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/
Old 17 Mar 2004, 01:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys. Yea, I really like how the smoothie front end, and the rear roll pan looks. I just was a little weary when I saw the warning on the PT-Tuning.com website that the bumpers do not comply with safety ratings.

Just curious, how much were these parts intalled and painted for you guys? I really have no idea what it would cost, but my guess is its not very cheap. just a ballpark number would be fine. Anyone know if there is any place cheaper then PT-Tuning for these parts?

Off topic quite a bit.. but does anyone have Boyd Coddinton Smoothie II 18x8 rims installed on there cruiser?? I am looking at getting these for mine, but I would like to see how they look on the car, befor getting them.

Thanks,
Matt
[8)]

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 17 Mar 2004, 11:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Basset Hound

As you can see, I added 1936 Ford bumpers to my Smoothie fascia and rool pan. As for the legality, that may be an issue, but it has not been addressed by PTeazer to my knowledge. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for one yet.
Bassett - I'm not much for chrome at all, but I think you got yours perfect by adding those bumpers to the front and rear. They compliment the car perfectly. How did you figure out to use the 36 bumpers? Did you just know exactly what they looked like, and the dimensions, or did someone else give you the idea? Have they been resized, or are they original in size and shape to the 36 Ford? I've never seen another one like that.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 18 Mar 2004, 12:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the compliment on the bumpers. I got the idea myself. I thought the dip in the Ford bumper echoed the curve in the bottom of the PTeazer grille and that's where the idea began. After the idea came a lot of research using the Internet. Ford guys were very helpful in giving me the dimensions and some PT Cruiser owners helped me to locate where the ends of the frame rails are on a PT Cruiser. I discovered that I could use "stock" Ford bumpers with no changes in size and the front bumper only had to be bent a little to conform to the front shape of the PT Cruiser. I found out that 1936 Ford pickup trucks had a straight bumper. I decided to use one of those in the rear so that it would not block the rear license plate. My painter is super at welding and fabrication work as well as painting. I took the idea to him and he made the braces (brackets), cut the necessary holes in the fascia and rool pan and did all the necessary painting. The braces holding the bumpers are actually attached to the unibody frame rails front and rear, making the bumpers functional. As far as I know I'm still the only one that has made this mod. BTW---I have no idea how much all this cost me, I just paid the bills and enjoyed his handy work.[8D]

Don aka Basset Hound

Pics at: http://members4.clubphoto.com/don284358/