Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cowl induction hood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2002, 12:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default cowl induction hood

Ok, I ordered my turbo 5 speed, and I love the look of the cowl induction hood however this is my problem. What do I do with a brand new hood on my turbo that has never even seen a road yet? I would have $900 invest in the new hood plus paint and install> just trying to justify this investment...Has anyone had say a bolt on hood scoop but on their exsisting hood, just wondering how that would look, I would think a good body shop could blend it to make it look like a new hood....looking for help and feedback....also would like to hear from anyone that has functional side pipes on the cruiser thanks ?turboman

Old 26 Oct 2002, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I answered your question on side pipes on the Turbo thread. Your $900 price for the hood seems a bit exspensive, and you say you still need to paint it? Most of the aftermarket hoods are going in the $600-700 range plus paint...look around before you buy. I've also seen bolt on scoops that were just that...bolted on, and they look horrible. If you go that way, get a good body shop to do the work. That way you still have the OEM hood, no installation charge (although you will still have to paint it) and you won't have to worry about getting rid of an extra hood. The Turbo, or non-turbo, can get all the cool air it needs from any aftermarket air-induction unit (Air-Raid, Volant etc.), your hood scoop doesn't have to be functional. My $.02

Old 27 Oct 2002, 06:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

a cowl induction hood would work to exhaust hot air out of the engine compartment. But if you wanted to get cool air to your engine, Keystone makes a functional Ram Air hood ($540) that ducts cool outside air directly to their Ram Air box induction system ($200). This way, your induction system gets cool air rather than hot underhood air, although, like Crewzin said any aftermarket air induction unit will work better than stock - with or without a hood scoop. just my $0.1 - inflation, you know

~Fujmon
Old 31 Oct 2002, 10:44 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I plan on ordering a hood from stinger fiber glass company, any feedback from this company good or bad? I always get nervous when I send money to a company you can't get on the phone....thanks turbomangt

Old 06 Nov 2002, 03:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Cowl induction is more efficient than ram air. With PT moving, the cowl area has the highest air pressure. Ram air induction isn't effective until about 100mph. Example: NASCAR uses cowl induction. You probably won't have any performance improvement 99.9% of the time you're driving so just pick the one you think looks coolest on the PT. You'll probably enjoy the sound too...