PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn signal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2004, 11:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Turn signal

My left turn signal stopped blinking tonight. When I got home started reading chiltons manual. Went out side to get owners manual and tried my turn signals and they worked both sides. I then turned my headlights on and left trun signal stopped blinking. Flashers blink both sides Am not sure now if it's the bulb. What gives? Any help would be appreciated.
[:I] Thanks
Now there working I don't get it
Old 28 Mar 2004, 01:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Based on what I see on the road, seems only you and me use turn signals![)]
Sounds like the flasher relay ( a little black plastic cube in fuse panel) may be going. 4-ways use different contacts, and since bulbs light, can't be bulbs. Maybe with lights on, the relay isn't "seeing" enough voltage.
Another thought - might be bulb after all. When filament in bulb breaks, sometimes the 2 ends touch and it'll light, then they separate, and it won't light.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Mar 2004, 12:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Day 2 of the turn signal problem, now left signal is making overhead compass and temp blink. Guess what I just turn on my odometer 12,100 miles. Turn signal doesn't blink with headlights or parking lights on.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Gonz
Old 28 Mar 2004, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A short in the wiring harness?? Can't see what else would effect overhead console.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 06:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Replaced front and rear turn signal bulbs, thought I had it but about 10 tries later blinker stopped. Turned car off then back on again with lights on trun signal worked 5 more times it stopped, wondering if its the multi function switch. Just installed fog lights and multifunction switch around a month and a half ago. Now there is a problem. Going to install old switch and see what happens.[xx(][xx(]

Gonz
Old 28 Mar 2004, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would think that's a good place to start. Good luck, let me know.
Old 28 Mar 2004, 11:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Installed old multifunction switch, the one without foglamps, It did the same thing. I think it's the flasher but couldn't find one that matched after market. I'll have to check dealer tomorrow

Gonz
Old 29 Mar 2004, 04:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've seen this happen but I don't know if it's your problem. A light may have a bad ground but the turn element may ground through the park element until the park element is turned on. To test: turn all lights off and then turn on the four way flashers. A light with a bad ground will flash out of sync with the other lights. Also try same test with park lights on.

This is either right...or backwards. Senility is ....uhhh[:I]

P.S. Check your fog light ground and the ground for left blinkers.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 06:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

After consideration here is another thought:
Near one of the bulbs changed, there is a short between the turn and park wires. As turn current makes the park circuit hot, the overhead console thinks the park lights are on and goes from day brightness to night brightness, switching back and forth as the turn blinks. (I may be saying the same thing as above except in a different way?)
Since changing the bulb caused a temporary fix, you probably disengaged the short temporarily. Make sure the filaments in the bulbs aren't touching and check wiring in the socket?[xx(]
Old 29 Mar 2004, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay, to summarize - bulbs replaced, 2 multifunction switches (doubtful both are bad),... I'm leaning toward 2SB with short to parking lights... Switch relay shouldn't have any effect on overhead console.