Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By wwpptc
  • 4 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2013, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Rear Spoiler Wing Bolt Pattern Template? - HELP

While at a salvage yard, I came a cross a perfect OEM rear spoil or "wing" for my little red 2001 PT Limited. It's black, but I figure I'll just install as it now and then have it painted red later when I have the roof painted.

I traced the bolt pattern on the back hatch as well as I could using a ballpoint pen and dirt. (Yes, dirt) That pattern might be a starting point, but it's not perfect enough to use as the only guide when drilling holes in my precious PT.

The holes seemed strangely slotted with no two the same. But they seemed to be factory perfect, though my tracing is not.

I know that when purchased from Mopar as an accessory, these original spoilers came with a template. If anyone has a template they could share, I would really appreciate it.

What I've got now.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 11:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Spoiler Wing Bolt Pattern Template? - HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
While at a salvage yard, I came a cross a perfect OEM rear spoil or "wing" for my little red 2001 PT Limited. It's black, but I figure I'll just install as it now and then have it painted red later when I have the roof painted.

I traced the bolt pattern on the back hatch as well as I could using a ballpoint pen and dirt. (Yes, dirt) That pattern might be a starting point, but it's not perfect enough to use as the only guide when drilling holes in my precious PT.

The holes seemed strangely slotted with no two the same. But they seemed to be factory perfect, though my tracing is not.

I know that when purchased from Mopar as an accessory, these original spoilers came with a template. If anyone has a template they could share, I would really appreciate it.

What I've got now.
Put down some masking tape (blue painters tape) over the attachment area. Now transfer your tracing onto the masking tape as accurately as possable. Next you'll need your wifes help---twice. Use her brightest lipstick and put a dab of it on the end of each attachment bolt on the wing. Now you will need her help (or any other able bodied assistant) to slowly lower the wing into its proper future alignment on the rear of the PT. The lipstick will accurately mark exactly where you will need to drill. If you were somewhat accurate with your original tracings, the two patterns will be very close, if not dead on.

I know you will, but please take into consideration the angle (if any) of all of the bolts as they enter the body. That is the most likely reason for any elongation of the original holes on the factory install.

Jerry
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 18 Dec 2013 at 11:38 am.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Rear Spoiler Wing Bolt Pattern Template? - HELP

I've used aluminum foil many times to make templates,it's cheap,and conforms really well.......And don't forget the 'GOLDEN RULE'.......Measure Twice-Drill Once!(but I personally like to measure 3,or 4 times!)
Old 18 Dec 2013, 03:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for all the help. The job is done.

I will post a new thread showing how I did this later. Again, this forum and it's great members have really helped me out.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Dec 2013 at 03:54 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Rear Spoiler Wing Bolt Pattern Template? - HELP

Did you use any primer on the bare metal of the drill-holes,and use a silicone based sealant/RTV around the spoiler to prevent any chance of rust starting?
Either way,it looks like you did a good job of mounting it,and actually the black looks good against the red.......Look at it,and imagine if the bumpers where black also!

Last edited by randyincctx; 18 Dec 2013 at 04:12 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Did you use any primer on the bare metal of the drill-holes,and use a silicone based sealant/RTV around the spoiler to prevent any chance of rust starting?
Yes. I used a cone rock on a drill to pretty up the holes. The holes had to be slotted like the factory holes to work due to the angle of the studs on the bottom of the wing. Then I painted the hole rims to seal the bare metal. And clear RTV was generously applied around the based of the studs and surrounding area. The entire slots were covered in silicone before I applied the OEM nuts with fixed washers. With the nuts in place, it looks 100% factory.

Daddy don't want no water intrusion or rust during the monsoon season.

PS: On the bumpers, I had the same idea after staring at the car for while. Those bumper would now look great in smooth shiny black. I may go that way when I'm ready. Great minds thing alike.
wwpptc and randyincctx like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Dec 2013 at 04:22 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looks good, man. Wish I could find a black spoiler for cheap!
I look forward to seeing your steps to the install.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 08:18 am
Senior Cruiser

3M double sided tape is your friend in this situation