Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Exterior chrome accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2004, 01:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default Exterior chrome accessories

I've only had my Cruiser for about 2 weeks, but I'm interested in adding some chrome accents, like chrome bumper inserts, etc.

Most of these products are applied using 3M adhesive. I'm wondering if this application method really lasts, especially in a cold Canadian winter.

Any info. / suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe as long as you put them on in warm weather to a clean surface, you're okay, but maybe some "Polar Bears" will reply.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2004, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

[8D]being from Florida, I certainly DON'T have the cold-weather problem but DO have the tropical-storm problem. I've put door spears, door handle scratch guards, beltline, grille chrome, and bumper inserts on my PT (all with 3M) and have had NO PROBLEMS. As quicksilverdon stated - it MUST be AT LEAST 60 degrees F when you do the installation, clean with denatured alcohol, use adhesive promoter (included with most everything), and I don't wash the PT for at least 2 days afterward to allow for bonding (that last thing about washing may be just a personal superstition).[8D]
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:06 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

I believe as long as you put them on in warm weather to a clean surface, you're okay, but maybe some "Polar Bears" will reply.
Thanks so much for the info
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:09 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTRON

[8D]being from Florida, I certainly DON'T have the cold-weather problem but DO have the tropical-storm problem. I've put door spears, door handle scratch guards, beltline, grille chrome, and bumper inserts on my PT (all with 3M) and have had NO PROBLEMS. As quicksilverdon stated - it MUST be AT LEAST 60 degrees F when you do the installation, clean with denatured alcohol, use adhesive promoter (included with most everything), and I don't wash the PT for at least 2 days afterward to allow for bonding (that last thing about washing may be just a personal superstition).[8D]
Thanks very much for the info. Must be nice you don't have the cold-weather problems It's snowing where I am right now

I like what you've done with your car especially the door spears and beltline trim.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 02:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've added a beltline kit, grille, side spears, door sill plates, and door handle accents. The only problem I had was with the beltline kit. Several days after placing the beltline on the ends kept peeling up, but some extra adhesive promoter solved that problem. I live in Georgia, and it doesn't get Canada cold, but it is a lot colder than the Florida sun. I've had all of my chrome for about a year, and nothing has come loose or fallen off.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 03:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I've had no trouble with adhesion... but I'm in Texas.

One advantage of the 3M is it's reversable if you change your mind. With the aid of a hairdryer, it peels off with no damage to paint underneath.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 05:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2sb

...One advantage of the 3M is it's reversable if you change your mind. With the aid of a hairdryer, it peels off with no damage to paint underneath.
Also, when applying the adhesive promotor you can use "Goo Gone" or other citrus cleaner to remove any excess as long as you do it before it "sets".
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

I had this type of tape that held my other cars ventvisor over the sunroof on. To get it off it took the paint too. I have since fixed it.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks very much for all the info.