Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear bumper question from a rookie Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2004, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear bumper question from a rookie Cruiser

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few months, ever since I got my Cruiser. It's a 2003 silver (Stanley Cup silver! ) GT, and I am so in love with it! Seems kinda silly, since I've always considered cars as simply transportation to get from point A to point B. I'm happy to say that I now understand...

Anyway, last week, some tool in a 1 ton plumbing truck smacked the rear end. Fortunatly, the only thing (that I know of so far) damaged was the rear bumper. I'm going in for estimates tomorrow.

In the meantime, a friend said he saw a Cruiser with what he described as a flat bumper. He said that it was the same colour as the paint, and was basically flush with the body. He said it looked great, but I can't picture it, nor have I ever seen it (I don't think!). I already have silver painted bumpers, but I'm curious if anybody knows what he's talking about. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Also, what should I make sure that they check when I go in. I'm already worried as Stanley seems to be pulling to the right when I stop, and that has started since I got hit. I'm also guessing I need to make sure the exhaust system didn't get knocked out of whack. Anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help. This is really stressing me out. [:0]
Old 22 Apr 2004, 05:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

The mod your looking for is a "roll pan" and it is awesome looking!
start with a search here. Here's a pic (not my ride). Happy Hunting..........

But this is my ride [8D]

BLACK IN THE UK
Old 22 Apr 2004, 05:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about the double pick[)].....
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums, and PT Mania!
A good estimator will look for frame damage, and your alignment is probably off, which is what you feel.
The roll pan back looks great, but remember, you're giving up your bumper, and the next hit would be more damaging with a roll pan.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Apr 2004, 12:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow! That does look sweet! I may have to look around and check some prices on one. I'm assuming that there has to be some custom shops here in the DFW area that would carry them. Since y'all gave me the proper term, I did a search and came up with lots of good info. I'll have to check the state code to see if Texas allows it...I know lots of trucks have it, but trucks can get away with a lot more mods than cars can here in Texas. [:I] (I think I'm gonna check with my insurance agent, to make sure it wouldn't do anything funky to my coverage...)

Anyway, thanks for the info and pics (beautiful car, krecher!). Y'all will probably see me more here, as I'm wanting to do some simple things to dress him up a bit. I want to do the chrome beltline, and the Euro tailights in the next couple of weeks. I have been reading about the tailights and the melting/condensation issues...that has me worried as I'm not really an expert on mods. So I'll be around, whining and wanting y'all to hold my hand.

(It is so cool to have a car I love. I actually catch myself sometimes just gazing out the window at it!)
Old 22 Apr 2004, 02:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Stargazer,
When you check the state codes, don’t refer to the PT as a passenger car, the PT is a MPV. Look on the driver’s door, under the tire inflation label is another label and you will see the “type” listed as “MPV” which stands for Multi-Purpose Vehicle. This “type” listing makes all the difference in the world when it comes to what “mods” you can legally do to the PT.
[8)]
Del Val PT Cruisers