PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
air raid and hood scoop?????

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2014, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default air raid and hood scoop?????

when I got my airraid set up there was a hood designed to work with it and like an idiot I put it off.. cant find a reasonable hood any more.. am looking for pics from anyone who has airraid setup and a scoop.. the air raid setup has rubber seal at top and would work great with a scoop.. but what kind and brand ?? there are so many and hard to visualize what it would look like .....trying to get ideas...thanks
Old 08 Oct 2014, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: air raid and hood scoop?????

I see 2 problems...
1) the air intake is off center, so scoop would be, also, and that'd look silly, I think.
2) what about rain??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Oct 2014, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you own a turbo PT. There is no real advantage performance anyway. Intake air is routed around the hot engine to the inter cooler and then back up to the intake manifold. So the only cooling of the air is by the intercooler. But you will get more sound as you have already noticed. A friend of mine took off his hood and ran a pcv pipe with an elbo around and did some testing with gages To monitor air temperatures and performance. With negligible results from stock numbers. So do what looks good to you. Performances from that end not really there with bolt on's.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Danny you are just looking to collect "LIKES" now!
I am going to have to give QSD one as well today..
mityqwik and rob342 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Danny you are just looking to collect "LIKES" now!
I am going to have to give QSD one as well today..
Good info should be liked! Lol Yes I agreed with him on this also. Besides your stingy with those. There like birds. You got to let them spread their wings. Let them fly.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a friend in my Tampa Bay Cruiser club with an 03 Dreamer Turbo and he had a Ram Air Hood. He had the decal of "Ram AirHoods.com" He used to say it was a functional hood. That's all I knew of it.

You can see he had the ground effects on his car and how low he ran in this photo.

mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I had a friend in my Tampa Bay Cruiser club with an 03 Dreamer Turbo and he had a Ram Air Hood. He had the decal of "Ram AirHoods.com" He used to say it was a functional hood. That's all I knew of it.
Functional is a funny term used often in the aftermarket world to describe parts. In the case of the hoods technically because there was air going into the engine compartment that made the hood functional in their meaning. As for actually lowering IATs on a Turbo PT under boost, not a chance.
mityqwik and rob342 like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2014, 06:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

note the pity likes for nitro..

is there actually air pressure where the hood scoops are, or are PT's like my rustang where a cowl hood gets more air from the base of the windshield?

Last edited by rob342; 08 Oct 2014 at 06:48 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
note the pity likes for nitro..

is there actually air pressure where the hood scoops are, or are PT's like my rustang where a cowl hood gets more air from the base of the windshield?
I have read that the base of the cowl is a high-pressure area.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The angle of the PT hood if using a cowl scoop would have to have the top portion of that scoop almost touching the windshield. This would make a "functioning" cowl hood on a PT Cruiser. But you would not be able to use and must remove the wiper assemblies.

With help of my friend that works at AeroJet Rocketdyne we tested the air flow over the PT Cruiser stock hood to determine the best location for a scoop and which type would work best. That is why there are 2 distinctly different scoops on my PT Hood. And to use the hood I must remove the wipers.

There was a lot that we learned doing the testing about the engine compartment air flow. It would seem that Chrysler power train design engineers made some very well thought plans and not just engine parts randomly fitted to make it work in the chassis. But those are secrets that are best kept....secrets!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Oct 2014 at 10:33 pm.