PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
07 fog light bulb replacement

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2014, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 07 fog light bulb replacement

My wife's 07 Cruiser has a fog light out. It might just be a loose connection or bulb out. Although I put in the fog lights in it's been a while. I don't have a lift or anything but I think I might be able to get at it in the driveway. My problem is that I don't remember the back of the light arrangement. When I put the lights in I just plugged in the already present wires to the back the light. My question is how to get the bulb out. Supposing I can get enough of myself under he front of the care I'm thinking that, if I'm lucky, all I have to do is twist where the wires plug in and the bulb will come out. Then I'll have to take the bulb someplace and get it's replacement. Has anyone done this recently and recall the procedure? Are there any clips that need to be undone or anything anyone can tell me to make this easier?
Old 23 Nov 2014, 09:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 07 fog light bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiniquiet View Post
My wife's 07 Cruiser has a fog light out. It might just be a loose connection or bulb out. Although I put in the fog lights in it's been a while. I don't have a lift or anything but I think I might be able to get at it in the driveway. My problem is that I don't remember the back of the light arrangement. When I put the lights in I just plugged in the already present wires to the back the light. My question is how to get the bulb out. Supposing I can get enough of myself under he front of the care I'm thinking that, if I'm lucky, all I have to do is twist where the wires plug in and the bulb will come out. Then I'll have to take the bulb someplace and get it's replacement. Has anyone done this recently and recall the procedure? Are there any clips that need to be undone or anything anyone can tell me to make this easier?

Take off the inner fender well plastic to get the the socket...just remove the 4 nuts around the front of the wheel well. You'll find the plug & socket behind it.
rckstein likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Take off the inner fender well plastic to get the the socket...just remove the 4 nuts around the front of the wheel well. You'll find the plug & socket behind it.
Yep, it's as easy as that!

To give you a little more room, you may want to turn the steering wheel to get the tire out of the way. For instance, if you're working on the left (driver) side, turn the steering wheel full to the right so that the tire will go into the wheel well, then opposite for the right side. This gives you a little more room to pull back the fender liner to get your hand inside.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 02:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Getting into the light from the wheel well did the trick. Unplugged the bulb and took it to the local auto parts store. What I had was an H 10. They had 9's and 11's. Showed me the original bulb (9145) for factory lights. It had a different base (L shaped - the one I had in my hand was straight) and I wasn't sure about the fitment into the base (A bayonet fit it might be called).

So, I went back home and contacted the place on line from where I got the fogs about a year ago. I think I ended up, finally getting a 9145 from them. It's a $10 gamble.

My wife's cruiser sits in the garage most days but, wouldn't you know it, she needs it today and won't be back until after dark. I'm not going to be able to get back to this for a few days so waiting for the mail isn't a big deal. I live in the northeast and it's 60 today. It would have been a great time to mess with this. By the time I get back to it the temps will be in the 30's or worse. Grrrrr

Since both lights are out I'm thinking that I'll just go back to the local auto parts place and get another 9145 and put it in after the one comes in the mail.

If the lights still don't come on, I'm thinking that maybe the mfs might be the culprit. I know they were funky in the first gen cruisers but thought they had been upgraded in the second generation. I haven't seen as may folks having problems with the second gens mfs. Any thoughts on this?

Could it be a fuse problem? If so where the heck are they? Fuses were petty easy to find and get to in the first gen cruisers.

After I installed the lights I had to get the computer flashed. I'm trying to avoid that redo and would like to take care of this myself.

What might I be missing? Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I did this awhile back. The pic may help:

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 24 Nov 2014, 03:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Since only 1 light is out...it's the bulb. There is no fuse in 2006 & up & if it was the MFS both lights would be out.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Nov 2014, 03:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

A week or so ago when I first noticed it one light was out. Today when I went to mess with it, both were out. The filament in the bulb I took out today was broken. I don't know about the other. I didn't have time to check. FWIW, the light inside on the speedometer display did work.
Old 03 Dec 2014, 11:19 am
Regular Cruiser

I just know there's a bunch of folks on this board who have shad leepless nights wondering how this all turned out. Bottom line is that I replaced both bulbs and the lights are working. Who would have thought that the two bulbs would burn out within a couple of weeks of each other? My only concern is that the bulbs aren't identical.. One is 42 watts (I think) and the other is 45. I hope that doesn't have some adverse effect on the electrical system. Anybody know?
Old 03 Dec 2014, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I just know there's a bunch of folks on this board who have shad leepless nights wondering how this all turned out. Bottom line is that I replaced both bulbs and the lights are working. Who would have thought that the two bulbs would burn out within a couple of weeks of each other? My only concern is that the bulbs aren't identical.. One is 42 watts (I think) and the other is 45. I hope that doesn't have some adverse effect on the electrical system. Anybody know?
That's less than a 10% difference - probably there is nearly that much variation in otherwise "identical" bulbs, so shouldn't hurt anything.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2014, 07:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
That's less than a 10% difference - probably there is nearly that much variation in otherwise "identical" bulbs, so shouldn't hurt anything.
Some may say this is a little weird, strange, anal, odd, OCD, whatever you want to call it, but I always replace bulbs in pairs when one burns out. I'm probably wasting money, but I figure if one burns out, then the twin to it will probably burn out soon, so I replace in pairs. I guess I worry about the difference, if any is noticeable, between a new and old bulb. For instance, I just recently replaced the driving light bulbs on my PT because one burned out, but I replaced both. I use the Sylvania Silver Star and on the package, they are only rated for 250 hours of use. Since I use my driving lights as my daytime running lights, I have them on all the time and I know I well exceeded their 250 hour rating. The last time I replaced them was 04/22/14 when my PT had 103,682 miles, so they lasted 9,192 miles.