Advertisements
Wire look wheel covers

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2014, 07:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Wire look wheel covers

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:52 am.
Old 05 Dec 2014, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wire look wheel covers

Back in the day (1970's) the best of these were the OEM versions that came on GM vehicles. They had a tamper proof bolt under the center cap that connected to a bracket held on by the lug nuts. You never had to worry about losing them and they looked very good. My parents had both a 1977 Olds 98 and a 1981 Olds 98 that both came with these on them. And they looked very nice.

Old 05 Dec 2014, 10:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:52 am.
Old 06 Dec 2014, 11:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Wow, great article/ history, and photos. I planned on wire wheels when my '02 was very new - until a friend talked me into the idea of smoothies and baby moons. I couldn't justify the expense so I went with full moon caps from Speedway Motors (between $60 - $70/ set of 4). Years later when my wheels began to rust I painted the wheels to match the interior and added a blue stripe to the edge of the cap. The Chrysler cover that you show is great, I would go for those in a heartbeat if they were available as a reproduction.
(Although I still have a soft spot for the wire wheels... very classy look).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5345.jpg (96.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 06 Dec 2014, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Spray some wd-40 on steel wool and get rid of those tape marks on the bumpers...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Dec 2014, 05:46 pm
Banned

I found these wire hub caps on ebay and thought they might look good on a PT as they have the same Chrysler logo that is on the other emblems on the PT.

15" Wire Spoke Hubcaps Wheelcovers Chrysler PT Cruiser Town Country LeBaron | eBay
Old 06 Dec 2014, 09:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Spray some wd-40 on steel wool and get rid of those tape marks on the bumpers...
Seriously? I haven't heard of that. If it works I'll be doing it tomorrow! Does the steel wool scratch up the bumper (can't look worse than the tape marks); and how long does it last (are the marks a result of a chemical reaction that only goes surface deep)?
I see the tape marks on EVERY grey plastic bumper in PT land.
I have long term plans to eventually get body colored bumpers; but this would be a great fix.
Thanks!
Old 06 Dec 2014, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Seriously? I haven't heard of that. If it works I'll be doing it tomorrow! Does the steel wool scratch up the bumper (can't look worse than the tape marks); and how long does it last (are the marks a result of a chemical reaction that only goes surface deep)?
I see the tape marks on EVERY grey plastic bumper in PT land.
I have long term plans to eventually get body colored bumpers; but this would be a great fix.
Thanks!
Not very long from what a few who tried it said. I wouldn't do it. Just makes it harder to do it right later. If you want to keep that look without going smooth and body color. Then do this. Wash with a dishwashing detergent and scuff the entire area with the soppy water and 600 grit paper. Don't try to smooth anything just a lite scuff. Rinse and dry. Mask off and tack with tack cloth. Spray a couple coats of adhesion promoter followed by the dark gray bumper coat. Two or three coats should last a long time.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Dec 2014, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not very long from what a few who tried it said. I wouldn't do it. Just makes it harder to do it right later. If you want to keep that look without going smooth and body color. Then do this. Wash with a dishwashing detergent and scuff the entire area with the soppy water and 600 grit paper. Don't try to smooth anything just a lite scuff. Rinse and dry. Mask off and tack with tack cloth. Spray a couple coats of adhesion promoter followed by the dark gray bumper coat. Two or three coats should last a long time.
Lots to think about... if I'm going to scuff and recoat, it might make sense to smooth and paint body color. Although from what I recall there have been so-so results with that approach as well. Glad it runs well
Old 06 Dec 2014, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Lots to think about... if I'm going to scuff and recoat, it might make sense to smooth and paint body color. Although from what I recall there have been so-so results with that approach as well. Glad it runs well
Cruzen has had body colored bumpers for years. Far as the the other I spoke of. It's all in the prep. or the lack of for the failures you get some reports of. If you're going body color. You need to prime with a high fill primer and sand smooth. Again using a adhesion promoter first.
PGBCruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com