Advertisements
2004 GT Chrome Spears came loose

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2015, 06:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 2004 GT Chrome Spears came loose

The spear on the drivers side front door started coming loose about a month ago, now it is about half-way off and it rattles when the car is running. I was checking out the rear door trim on the same side and it basically came off in my hand! The spears on both front and back passenger side doors is still firmly attached.

The backers on the driver's side are still stuck to the body, I just can't figure out how the outer pieces are supposed to attach to them. I'm starting to think that someone might have replaced the driver's side trim with some non-OEM parts and just stuck them on somehow.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get these pieces stuck back on? I'm thinking maybe I should just silicon them on at the edges, but I don't want it to look all hacked up!

Thanks in advance...
Old 03 May 2015, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 GT Chrome Spears came loose

I thought they were all held on with 2 sided tape...

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 May 2015, 07:01 pm
Banned

They are held on with the 3M body tape, however, when you get them new, IMO, they don't have much tape on them (several small strips) There is extra mounting areas and when I had the spears installed on my PT, I requested that the body shop put extra tape onto them. They are still holding strong.
Old 03 May 2015, 07:38 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I had this same problem a while ago preparing a used chrome spear to replace a damaged one on my PT. Dewayne Lodges was able to supply me a good chrome spear from his stash but after the fact we realized the base strip of the spear wasn't attached to it. He searched some more and found the base.

After removing all the old double faced tape from the base strip I discovered that, with careful cleaning, all the old original attachment points where the base strip mates to the chrome spear still lined up. So I reattached the base strip to the chrome spear with lots of super glue until I got an acceptable joining of the two pieces.

The last step was to reapply exterior grade (red) 3M super strength molding tape in 1/4" width from front to rear on each side of the under side of the reattached spear base. This tape is what reattaches the spear to you PT.

In your case, position mark the spear base with blue masking tape to help in reinstalling and locating the spear position. Then carefully remove the spear base that's still attached to your PT using a plastic scraper and Goo Gone. Be careful and patience with your paint and the spear base.

Clean and prepare the base and the spear as noted above, (double faced tape can be removed from the spear base with finger nail polish remover and Goo Gone, but only use Goo Gone, not the polish remover, on your PT paint surface).

Finally reattach your like new spear using your reference position tape on a warm day or indoors with a bit of hand pressure sliding along the length of the spear to promote the double faced tape properly adhering. A hair dryer set on low heat running the length of the spear can also insure good tape function. Enjoy the fruits of your accomplishment.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right! ptprice
Old 03 May 2015, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
The spear on the drivers side front door started coming loose about a month ago, now it is about half-way off and it rattles when the car is running. I was checking out the rear door trim on the same side and it basically came off in my hand! The spears on both front and back passenger side doors is still firmly attached.

The backers on the driver's side are still stuck to the body, I just can't figure out how the outer pieces are supposed to attach to them. I'm starting to think that someone might have replaced the driver's side trim with some non-OEM parts and just stuck them on somehow.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get these pieces stuck back on? I'm thinking maybe I should just silicon them on at the edges, but I don't want it to look all hacked up!

Thanks in advance...
Thats original mouldings by your description. The part the is attached to the door has broken away from the outer peace. Maybe the were bumped while cold and cracked the bond between the two. or filled with water and froze?

At any rate you get one chance to get it right and silicon is not the way to go. You will want to clean very thoroughly. I would mask the part on the car off very carefully. Have some plastic parts repair adhesive or the very least some epoxy adhesive. Scuff the inside edge of the molding and the outside edge of the peace on the door. Add a little adhesive to the inside edge of the molding. Using a spatula scrape the adhesive off the spatula across the moldings edge, moving from inside to outside. this will load the inside edge of the moulding with adhesive. Do this along the outer long edges only. now carefully place them over the peaces on the door and secure with tape until setup. Using this method should give you a clean glueless repair from the out side. Remove tape when properly set. Or buy new ones at $70 per moulding.
eegorr likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 03 May 2015 at 08:15 pm.
Old 04 May 2015, 11:37 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Thats original mouldings by your description. The part the is attached to the door has broken away from the outer peace. Maybe the were bumped while cold and cracked the bond between the two. or filled with water and froze?

At any rate you get one chance to get it right and silicon is not the way to go. You will want to clean very thoroughly. I would mask the part on the car off very carefully. Have some plastic parts repair adhesive or the very least some epoxy adhesive. Scuff the inside edge of the molding and the outside edge of the peace on the door. Add a little adhesive to the inside edge of the molding. Using a spatula scrape the adhesive off the spatula across the moldings edge, moving from inside to outside. this will load the inside edge of the moulding with adhesive. Do this along the outer long edges only. now carefully place them over the peaces on the door and secure with tape until setup. Using this method should give you a clean glueless repair from the out side. Remove tape when properly set. Or buy new ones at $70 per moulding.
I don't know how they came loose, but it was likely not from freezing here in Tucson! There's no evidence of adhesive at all between the two metal pieces - maybe it was repaired (badly) by a previous owner.

The nice thing about silicone is if it didn't hold I probably would get a second chance! I was planning to load up the inside edge of the spear with a nice bead then attach and hold it together with duct tape until it cured, as you suggested.

I think I'll to try your method before removing the base because it is still firmly attached to the vehicle. I'll use weatherproof double-stick tape at the front where the spear attaches directly to the body, but I'm not sure what kind of adhesive I should use when attaching the two metal pieces to each other - can you be more specific?

As for the front piece, do you think I should go ahead and pull the spear off completely or just try to reattach the half that has come loose, the rear half?

BTW, it will probably be the weekend before I can try this. It's raining today and maybe tomorrow, and my wife uses the car for work. But I'd like to get whatever I need together ahead of time and get on it maybe Saturday afternoon, when it is nice and hot!
Old 04 May 2015, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
I don't know how they came loose, but it was likely not from freezing here in Tucson! There's no evidence of adhesive at all between the two metal pieces - maybe it was repaired (badly) by a previous owner.

The nice thing about silicone is if it didn't hold I probably would get a second chance! I was planning to load up the inside edge of the spear with a nice bead then attach and hold it together with duct tape until it cured, as you suggested.

I think I'll to try your method before removing the base because it is still firmly attached to the vehicle. I'll use weatherproof double-stick tape at the front where the spear attaches directly to the body, but I'm not sure what kind of adhesive I should use when attaching the two metal pieces to each other - can you be more specific?

As for the front piece, do you think I should go ahead and pull the spear off completely or just try to reattach the half that has come loose, the rear half?

BTW, it will probably be the weekend before I can try this. It's raining today and maybe tomorrow, and my wife uses the car for work. But I'd like to get whatever I need together ahead of time and get on it maybe Saturday afternoon, when it is nice and hot!
First they are plastic. Silicone would be difficult to get off if it fails. The noting will bond to it afterwards. Plastic repair for bumpers is made to stick to plastic. A two part epoxy would be my next choice. They were originally fused together. That's why you see no adhesive. You will if you look carefully see little notches every so often. Ruffin the area to be glued. Leave area to be taped smooth. Clean very well. I would remove the front before it blows away. And you can prep it better when you repair. Install the rear pointed end first to be sure you getting it back on the inner peace correctly.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 May 2015, 08:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

BustedPT, you used the reference that the spear base and spear were originally "fused" together at connection points all along the assembly. I agree completely. I differ in that, this fusing repair, I've found, was best achieved with the steps I noted as I restored the two pieces into one unit again and why I advised removing the spear base plate from the PT before beginning the repair. It was much easier for this old "geezer " to work on his work bench than pursuing the spear repair "on the car".
As both pieces are chromed I carefully scraped that chrome surface from all join points on the interior of the spear and the interior side of the base plate before saturating with super glue. I temporarily held the two pieces together with masking tape that can be removed when the glue has set so the balance of the assembly can be glued. I dispensed the super glue into the assembly all along the edge of the base plate. This heavy application of super glue bled all around the attachment points and the quick setting properties of super glue, along with using it for what it is intended to be used for, "bonding and fusing", has created a lasting repair to the spear assembly which then can be reattached to the PT with 1/4" heavy duty 3M super strength molding tape. ptprice