PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best "BLING" for the buck on new rear tail light assemblys

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2015, 08:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Best "BLING" for the buck on new rear tail light assemblys

Well I did the impardonable while diagnosing a bad socket on my left rear turn signal.
I not only broke off one of the tiny lock clips on the connect assembly that hold the wire leads. (The wires that come through the fender wall from the loom into the bulb socket assembly in the interior of the tail light assembly's.)
Of course I lost the little piece on the ground as I was trying to hold it steady with needle nose pliers and reattach it with super glue because of my pre-palsy tremors. My only recourse was to get down on the 125 degree asphalt and search for it. (No luck). @#$%^&*(!)_+|
The lead assembly did show 12V power when the turn signal is on. But don't get any continuity in the socket assembly so I guessing previous corrosion and sitting unused for 9 weeks have left it irreparable. As I want to keep SOO BIG in pristine condition, I'm off to the the junk yard this AM to find some good bulb socket assembly's and another lead assembly with both holding clips that I'll splice in hidden behind the plastic storage panel area. That's right, all that panel has to be pulled out for access.
Unfortunately that's not the end of it. As I reinstalled the left tail light assembly my pre-palsy tremors got the best of me and I broke the assembly.
Which, after this diatribe, comes to my question; does a Forum member have a good used 2005 left tail light assembly I could buy economically? Or should I go "BLING" and use this as an excuse to get a set of chrome ones. I'd prefer the ones that have a some what original shape and not the stacked dimensional look of some of the chrome aftermarket offerings that take away from the original lines of the PT. I've spotted a few in the $65 to $95 range but they all appear not to come with socket assembly's, just the openings and in enlargement the appear to have a rubber edge. Also, do the chrome ones have a good life expectancy or does the chrome lift in time? I'll throw this long thread out and hope for advise. More pix of the "new" SOO BIG to come. thanks, ptpprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005 rear tail light 001.jpg (89.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2005 rear tail light 002.jpg (91.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 14 Jun 2015, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best "BLING" for the buck on new rear tail light assemblys

Post some of the aftermarkets you like and maybe someone has some they want to get rid of and save you some bucks. Shipping will have to play into any money deal . But it worth a shot.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2015, 03:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't know how to "post an add to the Forum. I need some instruction?
Relatively speaking though I have found a few chrome tail light assembly's, priced with-in reason that I like.
I'd wondered, as I mentioned in the first thread, that they look like they might have a rubber surround, do they?
What is the duration of the chrome tail light assembly? Do they peel and deteriorate?
The trip to the junk yard was successful and I got a few goodies I'll post later on. Right now I must hydrate,(Yuenglings) shower, make an egg salad sammich and watch Danica run in Michigan. ptprice
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you want to keep it looking somewhat original, I'd go for the tail light rings. They can be had on eBay or here's a link to Maggie's Race & Street ad. The ring will hide your mishap on the edge of the light.

Race and Street: Chrysler PT Cruiser Taillight Rings - Chrome - Autotecnica

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 04:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Well I did the impardonable while diagnosing a bad socket on my left rear turn signal.
I not only broke off one of the tiny lock clips on the connect assembly that hold the wire leads. (The wires that come through the fender wall from the loom into the bulb socket assembly in the interior of the tail light assembly's.)
Of course I lost the little piece on the ground as I was trying to hold it steady with needle nose pliers and reattach it with super glue because of my pre-palsy tremors. My only recourse was to get down on the 125 degree asphalt and search for it. (No luck). @#$%^&*(!)_+|
The lead assembly did show 12V power when the turn signal is on. But don't get any continuity in the socket assembly so I guessing previous corrosion and sitting unused for 9 weeks have left it irreparable. As I want to keep SOO BIG in pristine condition, I'm off to the the junk yard this AM to find some good bulb socket assembly's and another lead assembly with both holding clips that I'll splice in hidden behind the plastic storage panel area. That's right, all that panel has to be pulled out for access.
Unfortunately that's not the end of it. As I reinstalled the left tail light assembly my pre-palsy tremors got the best of me and I broke the assembly.
Which, after this diatribe, comes to my question; does a Forum member have a good used 2005 left tail light assembly I could buy economically? Or should I go "BLING" and use this as an excuse to get a set of chrome ones. I'd prefer the ones that have a some what original shape and not the stacked dimensional look of some of the chrome aftermarket offerings that take away from the original lines of the PT. I've spotted a few in the $65 to $95 range but they all appear not to come with socket assembly's, just the openings and in enlargement the appear to have a rubber edge. Also, do the chrome ones have a good life expectancy or does the chrome lift in time? I'll throw this long thread out and hope for advise. More pix of the "new" SOO BIG to come. thanks, ptpprice
I had to recently replace all 4 pigtails on the taillights on my PT as the clips broke, I guess they just get brittle from age. But you don't have to replace the entire wire loom, you just need about 6" of wire from the connector and some butt splices.
Old 14 Jun 2015, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A little suggestion for the future work of this type. Lay down a comforter to pad the fall and collect the dropped peaces. Easier on the knees as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jun 2015, 09:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I stumbled around pull-n-pay today and got enough "stuff" to fix the nonfunctional left turn signal socket, so a wire splicing will be hidden behind the plastic rear storage panel to install a replacement connector end to plug into a functioning socket.
I've temporarily superglued the broken taillight assembly back together and will reinstall it in the cool of the morning tomorrow.
I'm still looking for chrome "BLING" taillight assembly choices other Forum members have had luck with.
I"m still in the dark about pulling images of chrome tail light assembly,s that interest me, from an internet add to a Forum thread as Busted PT suggested. How is this done??? ptprice
Old 14 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm
Banned

Here are a couple of choices that I found on Amazon, ebay would also be a good source as there are numerous choices:

Amazon.com: Spyder Auto Chrysler PT Chrome Cruiser Tail Light: Automotive

Amazon.com: Chrysler Pt Cruiser Chrome Altezza Tail Lights Rear Brake Lamp: Automotive

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Jun 2015 at 10:06 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 03:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

rckstein, the smooth Chrome tail light assembly's are exactly what I'm looking for. I found this same set on an eBay site selling them for $79.99
Do you know if this style has a rubber edge or is it solid plastic, much like the OEM tail light assembly's. There's enough rubber to fool with and hide around the head lights! Please, if possible advise through my email address; priceyoungman@hotmail.com. This seems like the best price, shipping is included so I'd like to take advantage of it. I still don't know how to transfer an internet add to a Forum thread. Thanks ptprice
Old 15 Jun 2015, 06:04 pm
Banned

I don't know of any taillights that have a rubber edge. The last time I replaced my taillights, I got some weatherstripping from Home Depot and put it around the entire edge, on the back side, to fill the minor gap between the lense and body.