PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
aer retaining clips necessary on a new hood emblem for SOO BIG 2005 PT?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default aer retaining clips necessary on a new hood emblem for SOO BIG 2005 PT?

The question addresses it all except we just put the emblem on new w/o clips (I do have'em) and I begin my 2000 mile trip tomorrow at 6AM. I don't want the new emblem falling off in North Carolina! So to clip or not to clip. That is the question? Thanks. Happy PTing, ptprice
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: aer retaining clips necessary on a new hood emblem for SOO BIG 2005 PT?

I'm looking at a brand new 1st Gen PT hood emblem on my shelf as I write this. The adhesive on the back behind the blue plastic looks nice and thick, similar to 3M two-sided tape. And the two pins for the clips look small and inconsequential. But who knows if Chrysler sprung for good 3M type adhesive, or if it's something much weaker? If it was me, I'd put the clips on.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: aer retaining clips necessary on a new hood emblem for SOO BIG 2005 PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I'm looking at a brand new 1st Gen PT hood emblem on my shelf as I write this. The adhesive on the back behind the blue plastic looks nice and thick, similar to 3M two-sided tape. And the two pins for the clips look small and inconsequential. But who knows if Chrysler sprung for good 3M type adhesive, or if it's something much weaker? If it was me, I'd put the clips on.
Oh . that tape is as good as it gets. But they don't use clips if they don't feel the need to. So As easy as it is to get them off I would use them. If I had the wrong emblem. I would go with the tape and go.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Jun 2015 at 07:54 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Oh . that tape is as good as it gets. But the don't use clips if the don't feel the need to. So As easy as it is to get them off I would use them. If I had the wrong emblem. I would go with the tape and go.
So are you saying yes to the clips if everything is OEM? That's what I would do.

But are you also saying if one is using a 2nd Gen emblem on a 1st Gen hood, don't bother with the clips because drilling is involved?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 08:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

My body shop lifted one end of my new emblem while buffing (thanks Dewayne for that new emblem!) and the owner found not one but two set of clips on each pin. (overkill) He felt obligated to get me a new emblem and it seems to be holding fine w/o clips. Because of the clip "over kill" he didn't think clips were called for.
As I said, I don't want it falling off as I head north tomorrow. Advise w/o semantics. Happy PTing. thanks, ptprice
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
My body shop lifted one end of my new emblem while buffing (thanks Dewayne for that new emblem!) and the owner found not one but two set of clips on each pin. (overkill) He felt obligated to get me a new emblem and it seems to be holding fine w/o clips. Because of the clip "over kill" he didn't think clips were called for.
As I said, I don't want it falling off as I head north tomorrow. Advise w/o semantics. Happy PTing. thanks, ptprice
Use one clip per post
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That's what I've always done and what I've found at the yards. I'll do it in the AM before the trip. Thanks. Happy PTing.ptprice