PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cut/Torn front bumper. How would you repair this?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2015, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Cut/Torn front bumper. How would you repair this?

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited. I love this car.

My front and rear bumpers have the tape marks that I've read about here on the forum. I guess the previous owner(s) didn't get them swapped out when they could have.

I'd like to paint them, and make them black. I will be following the steps in this thread (thank you CREWZIN!):
Black Bumper Fix

Prior to painting, though, my front bumper has a cut, or tear, on the driver's side, and some very small indentations (see attached photos). I'd like to repair that somehow, prior to painting, without removing the bumper if at all possible.

I've seen some bumper repair products that come in two tubes that gets mixed together and applied to the bumper.
One is Bodo/Epoxy bumper repair syringe kit
http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-an...it/572655_0_0/

and the other is Bondo/epoxy flexible bumper repair compound
http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-an...und/69590_0_0/

Is this what I should consider?

I would basically like to fill in the tear and the indentations to level them off, then sand them level, then paint as mentioned above.

Should I use one of these products for the tear, and a different product for the small indentations?

Are these products sandable and paintable? Also, is there some way to do the repair and then texture the area that I repair to have the same texture as the original bumper, instead of the filled area looking smooth?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150626_182114e.jpg (86.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150713_190018.jpg (91.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 14 Jul 2015, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cut/Torn front bumper. How would you repair this?

I would check local salvage yards
for a good used one...

Old 14 Jul 2015, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, let me say that I'm not a paint guru even though I have painted heavy equipment and a pickup or two. And I've had an occasion to slather on more Bondo than should likely be allowed by law and would get a real paint guy fired.

My bumper on my former 2001 limited had a very bad nick, a small hole on one side and two license plate holes in the middle. I simply used a plastic filler putty our of a tube. No mixing, no mess. Once it dried, I shaped, sanded and primed it with plastic primer. It was pretty easy.

And here's the result. It's not perfect but turn out much better than I had even hoped.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Jul 2015 at 03:56 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First, let me say that I'm not a paint guru even though I have painted heavy equipment and a pickup or two. And I've had an occasion to slather on more Bondo than should likely be allowed by law and would get a real paint guy fired.

My bumper on my former 2001 limited had a very bad nick, a small hole on one side and two license plate holes in the middle. I simply used a plastic filler putty our of a tube. No mixing, no mess. Once it dried, I shaped, sanded and primed it with plastic primer. It was pretty easy.

And here's the result. It's not perfect but turn out much better than I had even hoped.

I think it looks great and is generally what I'm after.

As I am pretty new to all this filler stuff, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the product you used? I basically just want to fill the hole/tear and indentations and then paint.

Also, did you do something regarding the texture of the bumper on the areas that you filled?
Brassarl likes this.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJKnight View Post
I would check local salvage yards
for a good used one...
Thanks, but that's not an option for me right now.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 07:21 am
Senior Cruiser

When searching for plastic filler putty, I came across J-B Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy putty. Will that do the trick?

Also, Bondo putty

and finally I see a lot of plastic putty made for modeling applications. I wonder, out of curiosity, if that would work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 604941_front200.jpg (11.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WhitePutty.jpg (47.3 KB, 8 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
I think it looks great and is generally what I'm after.

As I am pretty new to all this filler stuff, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the product you used? I basically just want to fill the hole/tear and indentations and then paint.

Also, did you do something regarding the texture of the bumper on the areas that you filled?
I still have most of the stuff I used for this.

It was Bondo Filler & Spot Putty. The primer I used was Duplicolor Filler Primer. After a few coats of that, it's easy to sand down to a smoother finish.

The black was Rustoleum oil based gloss paint in the 1 quart can. And the clear coat was a high gloss clear. Can't remember if it was Krylon brand or the brand they sell at Lowes. I put the clear coat on really thick. That's the problem with using a rattle can for this. To get a good glass-like coat, the clear really needs to be thick but without runs. I was just lucky and had the perfect outdoor temperature to do the clear coat. A spray guy would have been much easier.

Again, I was pretty happy with the result considering my hillbilly methods. I owned the car several months after this and the finish stayed really nice and resistant to rock pecks. But I can't say for the long run.

Gkon likes this.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
When searching for plastic filler putty, I came across J-B Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy putty. Will that do the trick?

Also, Bondo putty

and finally I see a lot of plastic putty made for modeling applications. I wonder, out of curiosity, if that would work.
You need to consider the environment some these products you listed are intended to live in. Also models are a completely different material. I would suggest you google up the chrysler bumper material and then look for recommended products to use for repair. If you don't. You could find yourself with adhesion problems as well as expansion and contraction differences in the materials. This will allow the repair to literally tear itself apart over time. The repair above did not get to stand the test of time and winter temp changes as it was sold in a short amount of time. Not saying it didn't. I can say the filler you posted is a entry level price and I have had issues with better higher end products trying to lift around the edges as I have worked the area. This will also happen as the bumper goes through the climatic changes over the next year. I would also recommend to use adhesion promoter per each coat of materials at least on the edges where the original bumper plastic will have something applied to it. You can buy this in spray cans. I have found It is really hard to repair these to make it last and not over run the price of a new aftermarket on the non turbo bumper. I know you still have to get someone to paint the outer part. I will say you have the type of damage and location that would be the only kind I would bother to attempt. But I still have to weigh the cost of products versus replacing.
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jul 2015, 09:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Busted_PT, thanks for all of the tips and information. All of it good and helpful.

I plan on following the painting directions on this thread:
Black Bumper Fix

It's pointed out to use Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and then Duplicolor Bumper Coating, which is more of a dull finish. I'm not looking for a gloss finish.
I was going to go with black, but now I see they have a charcoal grey bumper finish which is closer to the stock color of the bumper. Decisions, decisions.

I will look into the material the bumper is made out of to consider the best repair method. As my original post says, I'd just like to fill the indents and fill/adhere the tear, sand it, then paint it. I don't expect it to look show car perfect, but it will (hopefully) look better than it does now.

My final question is, once I do fill the tear and indents and then sand down the area, do I need to primer it first, or can I simply apply the adhesion promoter, and then paint?
Old 15 Jul 2015, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Busted_PT, thanks for all of the tips and information. All of it good and helpful.

I plan on following the painting directions on this thread:
Black Bumper Fix

It's pointed out to use Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and then Duplicolor Bumper Coating, which is more of a dull finish. I'm not looking for a gloss finish.
I was going to go with black, but now I see they have a charcoal grey bumper finish which is closer to the stock color of the bumper. Decisions, decisions.

I will look into the material the bumper is made out of to consider the best repair method. As my original post says, I'd just like to fill the indents and fill/adhere the tear, sand it, then paint it. I don't expect it to look show car perfect, but it will (hopefully) look better than it does now.

My final question is, once I do fill the tear and indents and then sand down the area, do I need to primer it first, or can I simply apply the adhesion promoter, and then paint?
First I recommend that you scuff the gray area entirely before you spray anything. I like to use dawn in water and 400 wet or dry paper in this particular situation. Knocks off little nubs that are stuck to the surface. Rub it with your hand ans see what I'm talking about. Yes you want to prime the worked and filled area. Not the whole section. Filler is not designed to paint directly over. You will see the filler suck up the paint and show up different than the surrounding area. I like the gray best because it looks like factory. Black screams to the world " hey I've been painted " I like them to think it simply looks pristine and not buggered with" JMHO What you may try to camouflage the smoother worked area is when you get to the paint stage. Is to spray a coat or two onto the spot you worked and run over it with a roller to give it some texture. try to blend it out to give it more even look. may need to do this more than once and let it dry really well between applications before recoating so you dont melt it back in with the next wet coat.
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com