PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Bumper Replacement help

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2015, 11:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Front Bumper Replacement help

Hello guys (and gals), been awhile since I've visited, sorry. But, when ya have a problem ya come here first for answers. My wife has a 2003 GT. She pulled up over a stop curb in a parking lot and when she backed out, this was the resultI work for a parts store, so can get a replacement fairly easy and cheaper than going somewhere else, I think. Anyone have any advice or hints about what I'm getting into by doing the work myself? 0725150859.jpg

It's the wife's PT......but I get to drive it on occasion

2003 Inferno Red GT.........no mods.....stock.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Front Bumper Replacement help

The front cover is fairly easy to replace.
First, remove the four screws which hold the upper ears of the grille at either side to the fender ledge. Pull grille back slightly and be careful not to break the lower hooks which retain the grille at the bottom corners as you pull out and up.
The remove the two screws at the lower ends of the grille opening which hold the cover tabs to the fender. (I added the previous as the poster reminded me about removing the grille first. sorry)
You remove the 7mm screws holding the inner fender panel at the front up to the flange where the cover meets the fender on either side. There is a Christmas-tree plug tucked up by that joint that is hard to see and remove. The two 10mm nuts that hold the cover to the fender are then removable.
There may be a couple of Christmas-tree plugs holding plastic panels at the bottom front as well.
Underneath you will either find a few screws or a hodgepodge of homemade repairs with large screws, etc, that a previons owner may have done if they were curb climbers and parking lot bumper block over runners.
Be sure to unplug your fog lamps before pulling the cover off.
If you're lucky you may find a good cover in your color, if not find the best you can, get it painted and install it.
I think that covers it pretty well. Not that hard to do for most folks.
NOTE: the turbo cover may be difficult to find BUT the regular cover will fit and work fine. I have one on my 03 Dream Turbo without problem. The turbo covers are found on all Turbo cars, whether Limited or GT, and on all 02 Dreamers though they are not Turbos, and on many regular cars as well due to repair (01-05) or factory install (04-05). The two main differences are the narrower grille opening ( 3 vertical bars vs 5 vertical bars) and indent in the top valence ( wide as the grille bars on reg and full width of grille on turbo).
Done now, I think.
cannesman likes this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 01 Aug 2015 at 01:15 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks Pasadena, I appreciate that. Did you have to remove the grill cover first?

Old 01 Aug 2015, 01:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Of course! And you reminded me at each lower corner of the grille opening you will find tabs of the bumper cover which gave the slots the grille hooks into at the bottom. These tabs have a screw in them to hold them against the fender corner there. These will have to removed before pulling cover off.

You're quite welcome. These cars are quite easy to maintain and repair, for the most part. I love 'Em, now own 02 Dreamer, 03 Dreamer, and working on 02 Limited woodie for a friend. My son has an 03 GT. When he visits we have 4 PTs in the driveway.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 01:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you again sir. I am going to start removing things today, watched a vid on youtube, I only found 1 for pt's, and it was on an older/different ? model, so wanted to cover my butt on the 03 GT before I got started.
Sounds like you are indeed a PT family, glad your all enjoying them. Wife loves hers, I get to drive it on occasion. Take care and glad you responded.

Old 01 Aug 2015, 05:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

update...... front bumper is off, fairly easy peasy process. Did notice on my pt the grill is held on by the 4 fasteners on top, no screws on bottom. The intercooler has taken a few hits from bottoming out, no leaks though. I replaced grill afterwards.

0801151611.jpg

Old 01 Aug 2015, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannesman View Post
update...... front bumper is off, fairly easy peasy process. Did notice on my pt the grill is held on by the 4 fasteners on top, no screws on bottom. The intercooler has taken a few hits from bottoming out, no leaks though. I replaced grill afterwards.

Attachment 14067
The n/a bumper is in 3 peaces. So if you buy new remember to buy the two other pieces. While you're with easy access to the headlights. I would suggest you paint them. Sand with some 400 wet or dry with soapy water until the yellow turns white. Dry and mask off and Spray two or three light coats of this. Let first coat dry well before recoating. It is made for plastics and has uv protection.

Here is a before and after.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 01 Aug 2015 at 06:26 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2015, 10:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Busted, will def work on the lights, they need it. I have the GT model, one piece bumper (not counting foam backing) so I should be good to go on that aspect. Appreciate your comments.
Busted_PT likes this.

Old 08 Aug 2015, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

installed new skin for front bumper today, just kind of mocked it up without tightening everything down to see how it looked. I have a "ripple" going on there under the grill, may be from bad fit, shoddy install, or when wife bent a few things pulling of curb. Still need to get after these lights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0808151344.jpg (97.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by cannesman; 08 Aug 2015 at 02:57 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannesman View Post
installed new skin for front bumper today, just kind of mocked it up without tightening everything down to see how it looked. I have a "ripple" going on there under the grill, may be from bad fit, shoddy install, or when wife bent a few things pulling of curb. Still need to get after these lights
Mine has a peace that slides onto the back edge where your's is buckled. Should be one on your old bumper.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com