Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! Painting a body kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2004, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help! Painting a body kit

I won't even be getting a Cruiser 'till the end of the year, but I have a chance to get a body kit I'm interested in right now really cheap. It's the PtCruisn ABS Woody Kit (pictures here - http://rbmotoring.com/gallery/album114 ). It doesn't matter what finish I get because I will want to paint it black.
Now, I've never done this before and have no idea what is involved.
It's ABS with a UV coating. To paint it would I have to sand off the UV coat entirely or just sand it enough to prime it? Can a kit like this even be prepped to paint it effectively? Would I need to do all the prep myself or would the paint shop do it ( keeping in mind I live in a 3rd floor apt. without access to a garage or even a yard )?
And last, any idea on what something like this is gonna cost?
It doesn't do me any good if I get the kit cheap but can't afford to get it painted to match.
Any info at all would help as I dive head first and naked into my first modding adventure.
Thanks!
(p.s. - I have less than 7 hours to decide If It's worth it )
Old 16 May 2004, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a friend in my PT club that has that exact woody kit. It's a great looking kit, and you are going to paint it black? I would imagine that if you can't do any of the work in preparation yourself, it would cost you a couple hundred to refinish it, but that's just a guess. Maybe someone else can give you a closer estimate. Here's the kit with a couple extra mods.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 May 2004, 07:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I think I'm missing something. The wood kit ,this is what
you want to paint black? Not sure what it would cost,but I;m
sure it would be cheaper to paint it off the car than after
it is on .Still don't understand why [:I]

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 16 May 2004, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a feeling this would confuse everyone. It's not the woody look that Im going for, it's strictly the physical look the panals add to the car. Ultimately I want it to look like a slightly muscled hearse, hence, all the black. I thought about trying to get the kit in the aluminum finish and just use it as is, but I decided that would still be a little too light and cheery for the look I'm going for. Understand, I'm not looking to make the "DEATHMOBILE". I still want it to have some class and style. It just needs to be clean and black. Classic. With some chrome.