PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Install exterior accessories pre-winter?

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Gkon
  • 2 Post By rockandroller
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By Gkon
  • 1 Post By PGBCruiser
  • 2 Post By Gkon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2015, 10:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Install exterior accessories pre-winter?

Hi PT friends.

I'd like your opinions, please.

I am preparing to install several different exterior accessories to my PT such as (but not limited to, as I'm likely going to receive some other items for my upcoming birthday. Likely so that my girlfriend and sister hope I shut up about my PT for a little while ) rear wind deflector, chrome beltline, black headlight housings, curb feelers.

However, I currently live in Queens, NY and winter will be here soon enough which includes snow, ice and road salt.

This gets me thinking that it's likely a good idea to hold off on installing these new bits until the following spring. Instead I can focus on interior repairs and upgrades, such as eventually getting a new dash, replacing the gauge cluster bulbs and polishing out the scratches on the gauge face etc.

Keep in mind that this time next year I'll likely be living in a warmer climate (likely Florida) so I won't have to contend with another NY winter.

Although I'm excited to install these exterior accessories I don't want to install them to just have them snowed and iced over in a couple of months possibly dulling or ruining them.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!
wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by Gkon; 16 Oct 2015 at 10:14 am.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Install exterior accessories pre-winter?

I think that anything that isn't on the ROOF is likely to feel some effects of salty, gritty, road spray. I have been pondering a set of shiny new wheels lately, but decided to live with the current wheels till next spring, since indeed - winter is coming!
Gkon and wingman55 like this.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 01:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i'd put it all on. all of it. anything that cant handle a few months of salt i'd get a free replacement on. i drive people nuts though. if they sell me crap, it's getting replaced.
Gkon likes this.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 10:16 am
Senior Cruiser

I've been thinking about it for a while now.

My impatient, balls to the wall, get it done self really wants to install the various exterior accessories I've gotten and more on the way from recent birthday presents that are still in the mail.

The practical side of me, however, has won out in that, I want to put this shiny, new stuff on my car and have it be that way for as long as possible as opposed to putting it on now and in a month or two have it possibly get screwed up from the snow, ice and road salt we get here in NY.

Look, realistically speaking, everything would likely be fine, but this car is one of the few things I have right now that is "nice", and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. So I'd rather wait.

I will have some interior items to install, so I'll focus on those, and on replacing my lower control arms, for the time being. Plenty to keep me occupied

Thanks for those that offered their input.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 09:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

As anxious as I would be to put them on, I'd probably wait too. I grew up on the other side of the Hudson (NY/NJ) and I know it's more than the elements, it's also the folks that don't know how to drive in the mess that can damage your car. Wait 4 months and enjoy them for 8 months!
PS... my dad worked in Flushing Meadow Park for as long as I can remember (NYPD).
Fix up the interior and good luck with the Mets!
Gkon likes this.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 08:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
As anxious as I would be to put them on, I'd probably wait too. I grew up on the other side of the Hudson (NY/NJ) and I know it's more than the elements, it's also the folks that don't know how to drive in the mess that can damage your car. Wait 4 months and enjoy them for 8 months!
PS... my dad worked in Flushing Meadow Park for as long as I can remember (NYPD).
Fix up the interior and good luck with the Mets!
Hey there, PGBCruiser! I'm right near Flushing Meadow! I can walk there, and when I was a kid we'd walk to Shea to see the Mets! Good to meet you!

I know what you mean about people not knowing how to drive in the snow, or even on a sunny day, haha. When I walk my dog, I notice how 99% of the cars parked around my block are all hit, dinged, scratched or somehow otherwise messed up.

I think I'm going to watch Road Warrior and get some ideas of building a cage to go around my PT.

Let's Go Mets!!!

Last edited by Gkon; 29 Oct 2015 at 08:04 am.