PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Compatibility? Front End Modifications? (bumpers, headlights)

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2016, 03:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Compatibility? Front End Modifications? (bumpers, headlights)

G'day fellas,

So I love the front end of the 1st gen cruiser, and my bumper's knackered. The grille continuing with the bumper seemed more fluid and 'like an old car' to me. The distinct 'bar' on the bumper of the 1st gen (which are perfect with a chrome cover) tops it off

I want to use a 1st gen bumper on my 2006. I've found some good deals. I also want to find lamp type headlights or a mod for the current lights to fit the 30/40s appearance. So these are the considerations:
  • Are the bumpers entirely interchangeable EXCEPT for the headlights? (e.g. mounting points, steel, dimensions).
  • Will I encounter issues disconnecting and plugging in new headlights (either 1st gen or aftermarket), due to the 2nd gen computer and fuse box integration? Or will it be as simple as 'plug n play' as long as the fittings match?
  • I'd like a vintage look to the headlights, either aftermarket or by using some kind of cover or trim piece. Is there anything you guys can think of. Preferably with no serious body work.?
  • Do I need to replace my 2nd gen grill or can I keep it?

Cheers guys love your humour and advice. Hope I can be the one helping out instead of asking all the questions soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT_Chrome_Bumper.jpg (31.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg PT_Comparison_Bumper.jpg (36.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by 917K; 01 Jan 2016 at 03:50 am.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 08:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Compatibility? Front End Modifications? (bumpers, headlights)

It looks to me like you'd have to replace the entire front clip. If not the entire clip, then at least the fenders (or wings) and then the front bumper and grille assembly. BUT I'm not a mechanic or body man, so don't take my word for it. I can honestly say I've not seen a PT Cruiser with the chrome bumpers here at all. If there are any, I guess I just haven't noticed them. I do like it though.
917K likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 09:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Here in America that massive front chrome bumper's no longer available. I have a friend here in Ormond Beach that has the set, front and rear, on his PT. It's a unique look but quite "large". Still on the hunt but disappointed, I made a diligent search and found the full rear chrome bumper cover is still available. Using just the rear chrome cover would be gilding the Lilly.

Suffice to say there's an alternative choice if you go to the later style early model bumper cover as on SOOO BIG. See reference photos. There's chrome inserts for the indents on both sides of the bumper shape itself. This same insert is available for the rear bumper cover along with a chrome insert for the surround shape of the rear license plate area. SOOO BIG'll be getting a full set later this year. Don't tell him, it's to be a surprise. That'll probably be the extent of his "bling".

There's complete compatibility in the exchange your considering except for changing the headlight assembly's to the earlier model. I included a photo of SOOO BIG necked on the front end during his rehabilitation so you can see what's under there. A chrome surround for the new head light assemblys is a good retro look or if your fingers do the walking there's a few other headlight assembly covers available to change the look without a lot of drastic fender/body work.

I hope this input is a guide towards your goal.

Happy PTin', ptprice
917K likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 01 Jan 2016 at 09:44 am.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Headlights, grill(lower corner rounded on 2ed Gen), bumper cover, and fog lights. You will want to get the foam teinforcement as well. Since the headlight and fog light bulbs are standard bulbs. Should plug up just fine. Not shire about turn signal. But should not make any difference far as the can buss goes.
ptprice and 917K like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jan 2016, 06:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Great stuff guys, cheers

The chrome bumper covers are pretty cool, but the inserts are probably a better solution even if they were available, due to price. I reckon some nice over riders where the inserts end would be sweet

Easy, so grille, bumper, foam reinforcement, headlights and fog lights. I reckon I can refurbish and sell the original parts to pay for them. I plan on selling my spoiler too which should help

Is the rear bumper from 1st gen compatible with 2nd gen? I might consider changing that out too if I had the opportunity.